Hummus ideas

Options
sargessexyone
sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
I love hummus. Pretty much any flavor. Does anyone do anything else with it besides using it as a dip?
I would really appreciate some new and interesting ideas.

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Try blending up a chipotle chili with it, or roasted red pepper

I use it as a spread for wraps and I mix it up with veggies and cooked ground turkey for lettuce wrap filling.
  • juliecnw
    juliecnw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband is a huge hummus fan. Last nights dinner was a chicken wrap.

1 Joseph's pita (Lower cal, and really tasty, I get them at BJ's)

1- 6 oz chicken breast sliced

4 tablespoons of your favorite hummus

2 tablespoons of kalmata olives (optional)

1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
    1/2 cup sliced peppers (we had some green and red left over)

Lemon pepper seasoning
    cooking spray

sprinkle the sliced chicken breast with lemon pepper seasoning and cook until done in a pan coated with cooking spray. If you like you can cook the peppers & onions or use them raw, your choice, I've had it both ways and it is just a matter of taste.
    Split the pita in half, spread 2 tablespoons the hummus on the inside, add 3 oz of chicken, 1 tablespoon of the olives, and half the onions and peppers. Voila dinner or lunch. If you serve it with a salad it is filling and low calorie.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use it as a spread on wraps, be them flour or lettuce. I substitute mayo for hummus in sandwiches. Dips, as you mentioned, are delicious but snacking on hummus allows me to eat well too much of it. Ooh ooh -- as a sauce thickener. For example, if I've pan-seared some steaks with onion and mushroom, I'll dollop a spoonful in with the warm juice left in the pan. Mmmmm
  • sargessexyone
    Options
    I use it as a spread on wraps, be them flour or lettuce. I substitute mayo for hummus in sandwiches. Dips, as you mentioned, are delicious but snacking on hummus allows me to eat well too much of it. Ooh ooh -- as a sauce thickener. For example, if I've pan-seared some steaks with onion and mushroom, I'll dollop a spoonful in with the warm juice left in the pan. Mmmmm

Never thought of using it as a sauce thickener before. That sounds amazing. Thanks.
  • sargessexyone
    Options
    @Sunbrooke and juliecnw

That sounds really good to. Now that I'm really hungry I guess I better get to the store :laugh:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I use it in canned tuna instead of mayo.

I also use it a few different ways in boiled eggs. First off is use it with the yolk instead of mayo for deviled eggs, I also use it instead of the yolk by putting a teaspoon in the boiled white. Its a great post work out snack. It can also be used with diced firm tofu as a mock egg salad.

You can also slather it over a cooked pizza crust and top with diced cucumbers, feta and chopped spinach (or anything you want) as a brunch pizza.
  • lecarlis
    lecarlis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make deviled eggs with hummus instead of mayo! Delicious.

Edit: Sorry @Lesa_Sass didn't see your post yet when I first typed mine :)
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like it in a wrap. Especially with turkey and smoked cheese. I've made maple sweet potato hummus and chipotle. Those are really good in wraps.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It's really good on brown rice with a meal instead of butter/margarine. Sounds weird maybe but it's yummy.
  • sargessexyone
    Options
    Wow, those are some really good suggestions, egg salad/deviled eggs, on rice. Can't wait to try some of these. Thanks everyone.

ETA Oh forgot about the tuna and pizza :wink:
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    on wraps, on toast , on sandwiches
    in casseroles
    used on roasted cauliflower
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Never thought of using it as a sauce thickener before. That sounds amazing. Thanks.

Yes, that's a good one. If I sautee a bunch of veggies, I serve myself a plate and add a dollop of hummus into it.
    I also have blended artichoke in with the chick peas when I make hummus.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I use it in canned tuna instead of mayo.

I also use it a few different ways in boiled eggs. First off is use it with the yolk instead of mayo for deviled eggs, I also use it instead of the yolk by putting a teaspoon in the boiled white. Its a great post work out snack. It can also be used with diced firm tofu as a mock egg salad.

You can also slather it over a cooked pizza crust and top with diced cucumbers, feta and chopped spinach (or anything you want) as a brunch pizza.

Yummy pizza idea!