Stronglifts and Other Exercise

Options
I've decided I'm going to start the stronglifts program. I've done similar 5x5 lifting workouts in the past, but nothing with any consistency (e.g. just made that day's workout all 5x5 lifts). How long does it take you to normally complete one of the workouts and if it only takes you 30 minutes (totally random time example), do you do cardio or something else for another 30 minutes or do you consider yourself done for the day? Do you only do the stronglifts 3 days a week? Just curious and trying to restructure my weekly workout plan. Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well it depends.

When you first start- it'll probably take you 30 minutes. after a few weeks- upwards of 75.

I'm doing a program and I think I waltzed through it- including the regular gym chit chat- in about 40 minutes. Now it takes me longer to rest- takes me longer to do the actual sets- and longer to move around weights- so it's much closer to an hour and fifteen- sometimes even an hour and a half.

I only do cardio if I'm cutting. I go to dance class for 6ish hrs a week so I figure that's good enough- next month I'll be adding it in- either on my off days or doing 2x a days.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, makes sense. I'll just see how it goes then. Thanks!
  • katro111
    Options
    Well, just did my first ever Workout A and it took me a little over an hour, so no need to try and fit in more exercise right after that. The starting weights from the spreadsheet were a little too low for me (I'm not a complete noob to weights), so I added to the points where the work was hard but I could maintain my form while doing each rep nice and slow.

I feel like a total badass now!

Not that anyone cares, but here it is:
    Squat - 75lbs
    Bench - 65lbs
    Row - 55lbs
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts too, about a week ago. My husband is doing it with me, so it takes us about 30-40 minutes to finish. I've decided to add light cardio in after strength training so I can burn more calories. My goal is to lose fat without losing muscle, so overall calorie burn is important. Right now, I'm doing Stronglifts 3x/week and cardio prob 5x/week (lifting days less intense cardio). I'll see how this goes and adjust if I need to. Good luck with your program!
  • katro111
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts too, about a week ago. My husband is doing it with me, so it takes us about 30-40 minutes to finish. I've decided to add light cardio in after strength training so I can burn more calories. My goal is to lose fat without losing muscle, so overall calorie burn is important. Right now, I'm doing Stronglifts 3x/week and cardio prob 5x/week (lifting days less intense cardio). I'll see how this goes and adjust if I need to. Good luck with your program!
    I was expecting it not to take me that long, so had planned to do some cardio right after, but oh well! My personal preference is not to be at the gym for more than an hour at a time unless of course my lifting workout takes a little longer to complete because I don't want to feel like I live there. My energy stores are pretty much drained after an hour anyway and when I get hungry, it usually turns into hANRGY real quick and it's best that I leave to go find food lol! I will just fit in my cardio on the days in between. Good luck to you, too!