Having trouble losing weight doing all things right

Options
I am 41, 5'5'', at 164 lbs right now. I have hypothyroidism that I take 1.25mcg synthroid and my levels are in "normal range". My doctor recommended me to see a Dietician and that helped me with my emotional eating. Still weighed the same though. Then I tried weigh watchers...lost 2lbs in a month. I don't drink soda, eat junk food and processed foods. In february 2014 I started doing 20 minutes high intensity cardio with 20 minutes weight training while not counting my calories. I didn't lose weight.... On March 13, I asked my doctor for advice once again and she told me about myfitnesspal.com. So, here I am counting everything I eat. I am in the gym 6 days/week doing 20-30 minutes cardio - heart rate at 165-170...Then I work my muscles for 30 minutes. I lost 6lbs the first 8 days, but I gained 2 back this week doing nothing different. So what gives? I have 200-400 "exercise calories" left, but I didn't understand that as to if I use them or not. I'm just discusted because I've worked really hard everyday and my clothes fit the same...I look the same....

Replies

• November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, literally everything, on digital scales. It's all a bit of a learning curve as you come to realise just how small or big 50g or 100g of something really is.

Your diary looks good, so I think the first step is to check if you're really eating those amounts. Don't just click the default portion - most of them say 100g because that's the easiest way to enter it off the back of the pack, not because that is in any way suggestive of the portion size :)
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You lost 6 pounds the first 8 days and gained 2 back this week. This is a normal weight fluctuation do to any or all of the following: water, glycogen and food weight itself. It sounds like you are losing and doing everything well. Keep calm and carry on.
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes 100% agree with poster above. You have to weigh your food. Of course its possible to lose weight without weighing but much easier when you do. You do not have to exercise to lose weight, but it is obviously beneficial to you.

I started weighing my food and now I think I might be losing a bit too fast so I think I am going to up my calories next week. It's amazing the difference it can make.

When i first started I was "exercising to eat" and now I eat to exercise if that makes sense. Good luck and it looks like we have about the same amount left to lose so I am happy to be friends and I will help if I can!!!
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    I think what mycupyourcake said is very good advice. It does not mean you're not losing weight if you lost 8lbs in 6 days and gained 2 back on the scale. When weight drops fast like that it's rarely a "real" loss. Weight loss in't linear, it changes, so give it a bit more than 2 weeks to see more progress. If you're seeing the scale go up after a few weeks then it's time to reevaluate what you're doing. Weight also tends to increase temporarily after eating high amounts of carbohydrate from replenishing glycogen stores which holds water in the muscles too.

Don't put all your faith in the scale and use a measuring tape as well. Both together will give you the best indication of progress but you sound like you're doing really well so far.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    nlu7gy.jpg
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments about the food scale. Weighing food is definitely a huge eye opener.

As for the weight loss than gain, normal. Weight fluctuates through out the day, from day to day, ect. I recommend you find another method to judge progress.
    Tracking Progress:

heart Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    drinker Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    drinker Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    drinker 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    drinker Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    drinker Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    drinker Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    drinker Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    drinker Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    drinker Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    drinker Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    drinker Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    drinker TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

heart Measurements – This is a great way to judge progress. I take measurements once a month. Even if your weight seems to go up, if your measurements are going down, then you are moving in the right direction. For accuracy you want to try and measure the same spots every time. Places I measure:
    drinker Neck
    drinker Upper Arm – largest part
    drinker Forearm – largest part
    drinker Wrist – smallest part
    drinker Bust
    drinker Ribs Under bust
    drinker Waist – where you bend (usually the smallest area above belly button, but below rib cage)
    drinker Abdomen @ Navel
    drinker Hips – largest part
    drinker Thigh – largest part
    drinker Calf – largest part

heart Pictures – Progress pictures are great. I like to take them once a month and at the start/end of any workout programs I do. You may not see the difference in the mirror, but comparing pictures will show you what the mirror does not.

heart Body Fat % - This is another great weigh to track progress. The electronic devices that track it can actually be affected by how much water you did or did not drink. For this reason, I prefer body fat calipers. I got a cheap one off amazon.com ($4 w/free shipping). This is also another thing you only want to track once a month or so. Like measurements, if this number goes down (even if the scale stays the same or goes up) than you are making progress.

And to help you feel a bit better about fluctuations:
    sx0sab.jpg
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit.

Edited to add read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Madison1Jones
    Options
    They say the exercise can cause it, building muscle. I lost 8 and gained two back, that's when I decided to start using the fitness pal. I slacked off last week due to cramps if you get my drift, so I earned the two pounds coming back to me. I started running today which I didn't want to do, but trying to deal with the jelly fat from the weight loss. Hang in there! You might have another rapid drop after this.