Midway slump!!!

Options
broox80
broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
Just wanted to see if anyone else has the same frustrations as I am currently having. When I started here in 2012 I needed to lose 50 pounds. Things started off well, maybe too well because I ended up pregnant. So after I had the baby and I was done magically losing all the baby weight, I now had 100 pounds to lose!!! Albeit best weight I have ever gained because of my freakin awesome kiddo!!! I have worked my *kitten* off to lose the 60 that I have lost, but now I have another 40 to go. Dont get me wrong I am damn proud of my success and I have earned every bit of it and will get every last pound off!! I still however am at my midway slump and of course its coming of slower than in the beginning. So how did you break through that pesky midway slump??

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    In for the wisdom.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP last year in Jan and I have been as close as 3 lbs to my goal of 100 lbs several times, then for no reason I will gain 1-2 lbs lbs. and I am not really sure why, other then I might not have worked as hard riding my bike or water jogging as I should. I also have had periods where my weight stays the same for 1-2 months. I just recently change from 1200 calories to 1230 and it seems that I am doing better. It does get frustrating at times but I plan on doing this the rest of my life so I know I will always have to watch what I eat and stay active. If you are exercising, try changing your routine, maybe walk one day, go to the gym for a day, ride your bike, whatever you like to do, but don't do the same thing everyday, your body is adjusting to those same things. Good luck on your journey and add me to your friends list if you would like. I am on everyday.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on dropping 60 before hitting that slump! I had 80 to lose, and now 60...and have been stalled for over 4 weeks. It's not recomp, and the "non-linear" explanation only carried me through 2-3 weeks. Now it's just ridiculous. (As is the notion that it's ok to lose only 0.5 lbs a week for the next 120 weeks...)

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say, and meanwhile just buckling down & focusing on fitness goals - getting faster, going farther. Because the scale & tape measure ain't on my side ATM. Miserable *kitten*, both of 'em.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Muscle helps burn fat. You can get muscle from traditional weight lifting or weight-bearing yoga/pilates/isometric type exercises. The slower you do them and the longer you hold them, the better they work.

Fitness DVDs from the library can help vary your routine.

I see from your diary that you have integrated a lot of meat and processed food into your diet. For me the older I got the less my body used those calories efficiently. Think of processed food as pre-chewed food and it becomes a little less appealing. The less of it you have, the less of it you crave, although it does take a few years of practice.

Final bit of advice - I just switched my meal names to food groups so that veg/fruit is at the top, grain is second, protein is third, dairy is 4th, and treats are last. I has really helped me prioritize nutrition over calories.

good luck
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I guess my main issue is more of a mental thing. I havent lost much weight in the past 2 weeks but I have lost 20 since Jan 8th, so it is still steadily coming off. My negative "fat girl, you will fail, devil on my back" mentality is kicking in because I am actually succeeding!! So how do you overcome that? And my diary was trash today and yesterday so........yeah!!!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bump, yeah, it's the mental thing for me too.