New runner, already have knee pain!

Options
So, i'm fairly new to running. I try for 2+ miles 3 + days a week for about 3 weeks now. Today I went and only got about 11/2 miles in when my knee started hurting so bad I could only walk the rest. The second I woud resume the run, it would act up again. Form the research i've done it sounds like Iliotibial Band Syndrome. What can be done? Should I wear knee braces while I run or....?

Replies

• bookmaggot
    bookmaggot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Be really gentle with your IT band. Taking a rest and cross training for a few days wouldn't hurt. I've had similar issues and I found foam rolling to be really helpful.

Whatever you don't run through pain.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had something similar going on when I started running a few months ago. Check your running form - that's what fixed the issue for me. Slow down, focus on form... see if that helps. http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/the-five-most-common-running-form-mistakes_48731
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    me too. I am going to try some cross-training without shoes to stimulate sole/knee connection. When I go back to running it will be slower. Hope you feel better soon!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Rest it to prevent further pain. Then when you feel up to it start off slowly. When I first started running my knee really got hurt. I put it down to weak muscles surrounding my knee. Focus on your running pace, as a newbie you may find your comfort zone is not much more than a walk. Over striding can really jolt the knees and if you're still getting your body used to using the muscles it can take time to build up to faster paces. Ice and ibuprophen after running will help in the mean time. Also make sure your shoes are appropriate; huge cause of leg/knee injuries when running. Youtube has some great videos for stretches too, that will help with knees!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So, i'm fairly new to running. I try for 2+ miles 3 + days a week for about 3 weeks now. Today I went and only got about 11/2 miles in when my knee started hurting so bad I could only walk the rest. The second I woud resume the run, it would act up again. Form the research i've done it sounds like Iliotibial Band Syndrome. What can be done? Should I wear knee braces while I run or....?
    If it is ITBS you can rest, ice, roll and stretch. But until you treat the root of the problem its probably not going to get much better. It is usually caused by weakness in the hips and glutes. You need to do lunges and squats. Clamshells are good too. Also make sure you've been fitted for shoes. That can often eliminate a lot of issues.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had something similar going on when I started running a few months ago. Check your running form - that's what fixed the issue for me. Slow down, focus on form... see if that helps. http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/the-five-most-common-running-form-mistakes_48731

This is a great suggestion. With the mileage that low, I imagine IT band may not be an issue. Even with that being said, foam rolling would still be a good practice. Are you strength training? If not, I would suggest looking for a lifting/strength training program which could help with muscle imbalances. Have you been fitted with proper running shoes, as well as a gait analysis?(I've been running for a year, and have had 2 injuries which could've been avoided if I would've followed this advice.).
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Rest and foam roll. Strength training also helps, strengthening your glutes can go a long way. Make sure to stretch after every run and after every workout you do. Hip flexor stretches as well as good glute stretches should be added into the stretches you already do.

Also, it's easy to get super excited about doing something new that you enjoy and with running it's very easy to push yourself too far, too fast. If you have just started training, I would recommend following a training program that has appropriate distance increases.
  • ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I started running I also had knee pain. I did wear a knee brace and it helped when running and I made sure I had good fitting shoes. But the thing that helped the most was stretching and strengthening all this muscles and ligaments ... It's amazing how they all are involved in the working of the knee.