Pregnant and Losing Weight

Options
Is there some pregnancy setting on here that I'm missing? I'm pregnant, but would like to maintain and/or lose some weight. I was trying to lose weight before I got pregnant, and not I just don't want to gain a bunch.

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too....
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ladies, Please check with your doctors before embarking on any kind of weightloss diet while pregnant! You have to make sure you get all the nutrients that baby needs in order to develop normally. Perhaps your goal could be to maintain for the first trimester and not gain hugely during the last two? Provided your doctor is on board...
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ladies, Please check with your doctors before embarking on any kind of weightloss diet while pregnant! You have to make sure you get all the nutrients that baby needs in order to develop normally. Perhaps your goal could be to maintain for the first trimester and not gain hugely during the last two? Provided your doctor is on board...

^^^ Yes, this. ALWAYS check with your doctor regarding weight concerns during pregnancy. A deficit for you also means a deficit for your baby. You are his/her only nutrient source. PLEASE ask your doctor about this. Even if you're overweight, this is probably not the time to reduce your weight. Just the pregnancy itself.... weight of baby, increased muscle mass in the uterus, increased blood volume, amniotic fluid, placenta, breast tissue.... all these add weight that is NOT actual weight gain on your body. Please consider weight LOSS only with careful medical consideration and supervision.
  • knackarsch
    Options
    I think the issue isn't so much the baby getting what it needs - the baby will take what it needs from you no matter what. It's my understanding that if you don't eat well, the baby will take things to your detriment. Baby will get plenty of calcium, but your bones will suffer by the end of the pregnancy.

That said, if you're really careful about eating plenty of nutritious food for both you and the baby, and you're still in a calorie deficit, I don't imagine it's dangerous if you're overweight to begin with. For overweight women, I've seen recommendations about not gaining any weight - which by the end of pregnancy would mean a loss once you have the baby (minus 7-8 pounds) and then lose the fluids (another 15 pounds or so for me).
  • BookRat
    BookRat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight whilst pregnant sounds like a bad idea...the baby needs those vitamins and nutrients. Perhaps the weight loss is best left until after baby?

The advice generally seems to be that your requirements for the first two trimesters shouldn't be any higher than your usual maintenance (although everyone, and every pregnancy is different - especially if you have preexisting conditions or you're carrying more than one baby), with the third trimester requirements increasing by a couple hundred calories per day.

A medical professional should be able to provide better information for your individual case though.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been there, this was over 25 years ago though. I had started losing weight before my pregnancy. I had talked to my doctor and he made sure I was eating right and lost 10 lbs by the time I had my baby. I ended up weighing 25 lbs less after the baby was born. But like I said before I was followed closely by my doctor. I ate well, just no junk foods and sweets, and exercised for most of the pregnancy.
  • poesch77
    Options
    there is a setting for pregnancy by trimester....type in pregnancy under food in your diary. I am already over weight so I don't need to gain more than 15lbs. You get an extra 100 cals in your first trimester.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is no setting because that is way too risky for this website to do.
    Many doctors do not advocate intentionally eating at a deficit while pregnant at all.
    In certain circumstances, women may lose weight while under doctor's supervision but that is something that should be decided by a doctor who knows the woman, the risk factors and can monitor it.

You can set your profile to maintenance calories or manually set the calories suggested to you by your doctor (most I find will not offer calories suggestions).
  • poesch77
    Options
    UMMM...Yes....there is a setting for each trimester. Are you a doctor? I was told by my OB if you are overweight 15lbs is enough weight gain for pregnancy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    UMMM...Yes....there is a setting for each trimester. Are you a doctor? I was told by my OB if you are overweight 15lbs is enough weight gain for pregnancy.

I assume you are talking to me.

Umm, those entries, not made by MFP. Those are user added entries. And those entries are adding calories, not meant for losing weight.

Are you a doctor?

Yes, 15lbs is enough weight gain for pregnancy is you are overweight to start. And that is advice from a doctor who has seen you and knows your history. As I said, in some cases women can 'diet' on the advice of a doctor, although that isn't exactly the same as outright dieting.