Eating healthy, working out, but not seeing results?

Options

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Im only 20lbs heavier than you and I eat 2000+ calories a day to lose weight. I am 5'3 so about the same as you.

Id find a new dietician if I were you. It doesnt sound like yours knows what is healthy for you.

Best of luck.
  • cazattack2
    cazattack2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You will probably benefit from having your rmr tested. After years of low food intake your metabolism is probably very low. You may need to do some intense eating for a few weeks to get it back up so you can lose again. (Look this concept up on the forums to understand).

I think it would be helpful to know exactly what you're eating. Can you post a typical days food intake? We may have some good suggestions for increasing your intake without feeling overfull, which may also boost your metabolism.

Also I totally understand loving veggies and lean protein. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like eating that way too. I just try to increase my healthy fat intake, by adding peanut butter or cream cheese to something or getting protein from salmon or chicken with skin.

Breakfast:
    I usually will eat 2 servings of applesauce... which is a total of 1 cup.
    I'll usually have a glass of water.

Calories: roughly 220-250.

Snack:
    1 can of green beans. (3 servings)

Calories: 60-65

Lunch:
    1 box of Mac N' Cheese. (2 servings), and a glass or 2 of water.

Calories: 550-575

Dinner:
    I don't usually eat dinner, honestly.
    If I do eat, it's either more applesauce, or if we have the money for actual food... it'll be a decent meal... which isn't very often, because I honestly can't afford it.
    But in that case, it's usually something along the lines of baked chicken wings, green beans, corn, applesauce, and a baked potato. Calories vary, depending on how much I actually eat... but usually hover around the 650 - 700 mark.... which is extremely high for 1 meal... and that's another reason I don't get it very often.

Total Calories: 890

Total Calories w/ big dinner: roughly 1540
    That's just the average.

My suggestion, add some peanut butter, cheese, beans, or meat (grilled chicken or turkey) to each meal. Some oatmeal in breakfast could help too. You definitely need to increase your caloric intake. You're metabolism is probably shot and you may be in starvation mode, where your body won't lose weight because it's storing your fat.

If money is a concern, get canned black beans instead of green beans. If you can buy boneless chicken in bulk and freeze some and grill some and portion out about 4-6oz with each meal it could go far. You'll feel full, but it'll be better energy for your body to retain muscle while losing fat. Also adding Olive oil to your meals will increase calories and healthy days. Should boost your metabolism.

Also when you do cardio, keep your heart rate lower. You're 20, so around 110-130 bpm should be ideal for fat burning. I'd only suggest 30-90min/ day though.

I calculated your TDEE for exercising 3 days/week you should eat 2373 calories to maintain. About 1900-2000 should be appropriate for a decent weekly weight loss. You definitely can eat more caloric foods and still lose weight and get out of starvation mode.

(As a side note, I get a lot of my info from mfp, but I'm also a licensed therapist and have worked with eating disordered patients before, and have taken some nutrition classes as well.)
  • kelsielecrone
    kelsielecrone Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You will probably benefit from having your rmr tested. After years of low food intake your metabolism is probably very low. You may need to do some intense eating for a few weeks to get it back up so you can lose again. (Look this concept up on the forums to understand).

I think it would be helpful to know exactly what you're eating. Can you post a typical days food intake? We may have some good suggestions for increasing your intake without feeling overfull, which may also boost your metabolism.

Also I totally understand loving veggies and lean protein. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like eating that way too. I just try to increase my healthy fat intake, by adding peanut butter or cream cheese to something or getting protein from salmon or chicken with skin.

Breakfast:
    I usually will eat 2 servings of applesauce... which is a total of 1 cup.
    I'll usually have a glass of water.

Calories: roughly 220-250.

Snack:
    1 can of green beans. (3 servings)

Calories: 60-65

Lunch:
    1 box of Mac N' Cheese. (2 servings), and a glass or 2 of water.

Calories: 550-575

Dinner:
    I don't usually eat dinner, honestly.
    If I do eat, it's either more applesauce, or if we have the money for actual food... it'll be a decent meal... which isn't very often, because I honestly can't afford it.
    But in that case, it's usually something along the lines of baked chicken wings, green beans, corn, applesauce, and a baked potato. Calories vary, depending on how much I actually eat... but usually hover around the 650 - 700 mark.... which is extremely high for 1 meal... and that's another reason I don't get it very often.

Total Calories: 890

Total Calories w/ big dinner: roughly 1540
    That's just the average.

My suggestion, add some peanut butter, cheese, beans, or meat (grilled chicken or turkey) to each meal. Some oatmeal in breakfast could help too. You definitely need to increase your caloric intake. You're metabolism is probably shot and you may be in starvation mode, where your body won't lose weight because it's storing your fat.

If money is a concern, get canned black beans instead of green beans. If you can buy boneless chicken in bulk and freeze some and grill some and portion out about 4-6oz with each meal it could go far. You'll feel full, but it'll be better energy for your body to retain muscle while losing fat. Also adding Olive oil to your meals will increase calories and healthy days. Should boost your metabolism.

Also when you do cardio, keep your heart rate lower. You're 20, so around 110-130 bpm should be ideal for fat burning. I'd only suggest 30-90min/ day though.

I calculated your TDEE for exercising 3 days/week you should eat 2373 calories to maintain. About 1900-2000 should be appropriate for a decent weekly weight loss. You definitely can eat more caloric foods and still lose weight and get out of starvation mode.

(As a side note, I get a lot of my info from mfp, but I'm also a licensed therapist and have worked with eating disordered patients before, and have taken some nutrition classes as well.)

We actually don't have any peanut butter, so I'd have to either wait until I get some money, or see if my mother would be nice enough to buy me some.

I have quite a bit of boneless chicken in the freezer, just no way to make it right now. Our grill broke, so I have to either find a way to fix it, or come up with the money to buy a new one.
    Maybe I look into a recipe to bake it for the time being. It has to be better than nothing.

My heart rate runs 90-110 resting... so keeping it within that range would be difficult... unless I barely move at all. lol

I know, I already calculated it for myself... I just can't figure out for the life of me how to eat that many calories.
    I'll figure it out one way or another, I guess. lol
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Here's a basic breakdown of what my workout consists of.

I generally walk/run/jog 10 miles/day... but the weather has been really bad lately, so it's been cut down. Way down.
    I have a minimum of 3 miles that I allow myself to walk/day.
    Next week is going to be warmer... and not raining... so this should be back to normal.

Stairs were just added today as a substitute, for not being able to walk due to bad weather.

And I just forgot to log my Russian Twists for the past week. whoops. lol

I can only jump rope on nice, warm, not raining/snowing days... which hasn't been even once this week. :P

... and Wednesday was just a bad day.
    I got a new mattress the day prior, and it was the first night sleeping on it... I could barely move the next day. lol

http://i.imgur.com/bf9Zgqq.jpg?1
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Im not going to bother reading all the comments.

Go to eatmore2weighless.com
    read the forum posts.
    read the articles.
    eat more food.
    exercise less.
    and your body will stop fighting you.
  • AnnieRN6
    AnnieRN6 Posts: 48
    Options
    As a nurse, I'm going to suggest that you get together with a nutritionist. Sit down with him/her, and a food record of what you've eaten for the last week or two, and a list of actual exercise for the same period. My guess is that you're not eating enough calories, not getting enough protein, and exercising way too much. You need a professional, and a physician is the wrong type of professional in this case.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Girl .. being only 20 I can forgive you for making mistakes. But .. I think that people have said loud and clear that you are doing all the wrong things. First .. this is not a weight loss issue, this is a health issue at this point. Some professional help is needed .. and not on a forum. All I have read is that you have an excuse for everything .. sounds like an ED to me.

Your heart rate is very high for someone your age .. and you are doing 2 MAJOR things wrong .. and yes your body is going to freak, and obviously is. Too much exercise .. and not enough calories for said calories.

The exercise part in itself is not so bad, but you need some fuel for your body. You are probably burning all your calorie intake with that amount of exercise. I am surprised you have not ended up in the hospital with what you are doing. Yes .. I am a meanie, but someone has to tell you the truth.

Fix that immediately .. and you will find that you will do much better.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Girl .. being only 20 I can forgive you for making mistakes. But .. I think that people have said loud and clear that you are doing all the wrong things. First .. this is not a weight loss issue, this is a health issue at this point. Some professional help is needed .. and not on a forum. All I have read is that you have an excuse for everything .. sounds like an ED to me.

Your heart rate is very high for someone your age .. and you are doing 2 MAJOR things wrong .. and yes your body is going to freak, and obviously is. Too much exercise .. and not enough calories for said calories.

The exercise part in itself is not so bad, but you need some fuel for your body. You are probably burning all your calorie intake with that amount of exercise. I am surprised you have not ended up in the hospital with what you are doing. Yes .. I am a meanie, but someone has to tell you the truth.

Fix that immediately .. and you will find that you will do much better.

And I have listened, and am trying to take as much of their advice as I can.
    I've been trying to eat food with higher calories these past couple of days, but I'm pretty limited.
    I have to wait until i get some money to go to the store.
    So, basically my diet has consisted of a lot of carbs and starches... which, as someone else said, isn't necessarily a bad thing, since I work out so much.
    And I've cut my cardio from 7 days/week, down to 6.
    And cut my miles from 10, down to 5.
    For the time being at least, until I can get my calories up.

And they're not excuses.
    I have a sensitive stomach. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.
    I don't have much of an appetite. Once again, I've been this way forever.
    My grill is broken, so I had to look up a way to bake the chicken. And I even breaded and seasoned it, because I don't like plain chicken... unless it's grilled, and I can't do that. :/
    And I'm poor... lack of money = lack of food.

My heart rate has always been high.
    When I was younger, it was even higher.
    It wasn't uncommon for it to be in the mid-upper 120s, resting.

And I've already taken everyone's advice and fired that dietician.
    My family doctor is going to help me find another one, that's cheap enough we can afford it.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd look for a nutritionist, not a dietician.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Why would you do so much cardio? why are you under eating? You need a new doctor!
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    I average between 700-800 calories/day.
    I was told by my nutritionist to stay below 1200 calories, but above 650... so I'm exactly where I need to be.

She was "very concerned" with my weight being where it was, at my age... so she told me to stay in that range, and do as much cardio as possible.

Also, to stick with vegetables, fruits, and protein... and to only drink water, or 100% fruit juice.

And I take multivitamins every morning to keep my vitamin levels where they need to be.

your nutritionist is a homicidal *kitten*
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    900-1000 cal a day?????? theres ur answer......
  • hitsnooze
    Options
    also, not meaning to be rude AT ALL, but how did you get overweight if you can't/don't like to eat much and have an exceptionally small stomach? i don't understand really
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Look I have been in your shoes You need a new doctor Get a real medical check up
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you- it sounds like a very hard place to be. Some thoughts I had, based on just a few things you mentioned- if you are mostly eating canned vegetables, they contain a lot of sodium and have many fewer nutrients than fresh. Try eating only fresh vegetables, change your protein sources, and weigh them accurately. Also, some olive oil, coconut oil, or other healthy fat would be good for you, not a lot, but 1-2 teaspoons with each meal (this can be a dressing for the veggies with lemon, or something you put on your protein prior to cooking it. In general, cut out canned foods. If you cannot get fresh vegetables, frozen are better than canned. Another thought , from very personal experience, is if you are being really, really careful 5-6 days per week and then really eating too many calories 1-2 days per week you may not lose (or at least I don't). And, different metabolisms are different- I can eat between 1300 and 1400 calories per day, and work-out modestly 3-4 days per week (and I have a non-sedentary job), and being very, very careful I only lose about 3/4-1 lb per week ( I am 5'9" 180). If I add in to that one day of "blowing it" I gain 3-4 lbs back and it takes me at least two weeks to get back to where I was. This has always been the case with me, as a teenager I starved myself constantly, but never got very thin. I think this may have damaged my metabolism. If you have a similar history you may be in the same boat.
    I wish you luck, be kind to yourself, consider reducing your exercise, and adding a little fat, and reducing sodium.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    f

I'm realizing that, now.

And to answer the other question you asked, which seems to have disappeared...

I gained the weight from a combination of whatever that 106(F) fever did to my metabolism when I was a kid (because it was right after that fever, that I started gaining the weight), hypothyroidism (which seems to have disappeared, according to my TSH/T3/T4 levels, and foods that are high in calories, but not very large amounts.

Like a medium meal (chicken & fries w/ a pop) from McDonald's for instance, has well over 1500 calories.
    I'd never quite eat all of it, but it was still a lot of calories.
    For a while, I was eating it every day, because it was "convenient" and cheap.

Add that with lack of exercise (other than roller skating on the weekends), and you'll see how I gained so much weight.

I went from 100lbs soaking wet, at 10 years old (same height), to 238lbs at 18.
    So, in 7 years, I gained almost 140lbs.
  • hitsnooze
    Options
    f

I'm realizing that, now.

And to answer the other question you asked, which seems to have disappeared...

I gained the weight from a combination of whatever that 106(F) fever did to my metabolism when I was a kid (because it was right after that fever, that I started gaining the weight), hypothyroidism (which seems to have disappeared, according to my TSH/T3/T4 levels, and foods that are high in calories, but not very large amounts.

Like a medium meal (chicken & fries w/ a pop) from McDonald's for instance, has well over 1500 calories.
    I'd never quite eat all of it, but it was still a lot of calories.
    For a while, I was eating it every day, because it was "convenient" and cheap.

Add that with lack of exercise (other than roller skating on the weekends), and you'll see how I gained so much weight.

I went from 100lbs soaking wet, at 10 years old (same height), to 238lbs at 18.
    So, in 7 years, I gained almost 140lbs.

i haven't taken it down, it's still there :3

and i feel you on the not wanting to eat so much thing, i really do. although depending on how you explain it, it does make some people sound a little holier-than-thou, which is why i avoid mentioning it

look, what i really want to say is are you experiencing any fears about gaining weight when you eat the right amount of calories? are you physically scared about eating more? do you think you'd be able to exercise less without getting guilty and anxious? because the the amount of excuses (ok reasons, whatever) you've given for not eating enough just throw alarm bells out to me. you can have an ED without being thin, and without even knowing you have one, just so you know

really i'm just in utter awe of how much cardio you do with so little nutrition, if you're telling the truth and not over/under estimating. your body must be begging for some rest
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    I really feel for you- it sounds like a very hard place to be. Some thoughts I had, based on just a few things you mentioned- if you are mostly eating canned vegetables, they contain a lot of sodium and have many fewer nutrients than fresh. Try eating only fresh vegetables, change your protein sources, and weigh them accurately. Also, some olive oil, coconut oil, or other healthy fat would be good for you, not a lot, but 1-2 teaspoons with each meal (this can be a dressing for the veggies with lemon, or something you put on your protein prior to cooking it. In general, cut out canned foods. If you cannot get fresh vegetables, frozen are better than canned. Another thought , from very personal experience, is if you are being really, really careful 5-6 days per week and then really eating too many calories 1-2 days per week you may not lose (or at least I don't). And, different metabolisms are different- I can eat between 1300 and 1400 calories per day, and work-out modestly 3-4 days per week (and I have a non-sedentary job), and being very, very careful I only lose about 3/4-1 lb per week ( I am 5'9" 180). If I add in to that one day of "blowing it" I gain 3-4 lbs back and it takes me at least two weeks to get back to where I was. This has always been the case with me, as a teenager I starved myself constantly, but never got very thin. I think this may have damaged my metabolism. If you have a similar history you may be in the same boat.
    I wish you luck, be kind to yourself, consider reducing your exercise, and adding a little fat, and reducing sodium.

I always look for the "No Salt Added" ones, as I'm not a big fan of salt.
    Pepper, on the other hand? Depending on the food, I usually have food with my pepper.

We're planting a garden this year to try to get away from the canned stuff, and to get as far away from the GMO garbage as possible.
    I almost wonder if that isn't part of the obesity problem (among other things) in America. Almost ALL of our food is GMO. That can't be healthy.

I was taking 4tbsp of coconut oil every day for a while, about a year ago... but it had some gnarly side effects. lmao
    I guess it's common though, but I just didn't care to spend an hour of my day in the bathroom every day... and no, I'm not talking about throwing up... which probably would have been more pleasant, even considering my intense fear of vomiting.

But I'll definitely consider adding it into my diet again, as long as I can find a way around those side effects.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options

and i feel you on the not wanting to eat so much thing, i really do. although depending on how you explain it, it does make some people sound a little holier-than-thou, which is why i avoid mentioning it

look, what i really want to say is are you experiencing any fears about gaining weight when you eat the right amount of calories? are you physically scared about eating more? do you think you'd be able to exercise less without getting guilty and anxious? because the the amount of excuses (ok reasons, whatever) you've given for not eating enough just throw alarm bells out to me. you can have an ED without being thin, and without even knowing you have one, just so you know

really i'm just in utter awe of how much cardio you do with so little nutrition, if you're telling the truth and not over/under estimating. your body must be begging for some rest

Not on my end, it isn't.
    I've looked and looked, and I can't find it.
    It just went poof.

No, I'm not experiencing any fears about gaining weight with the right amount of calories.
    It's just more along the lines of 'frustration', because I thought I was doing everything right... which I obviously wasn't.
    And I'll go days between exercising if the weather is bad, and it won't really bother me. I just start back up again when the weather is nicer, and I don't try to make up for the days off.

I'm just one of those people who legitimately love working out. That's all.

Oh, and while I was scrolling down, my thumb (using my phone) accidentally hit your picture, and it took me to your profile.
    I saw you have a cat named Cas... Supernatural reference?
    But I have (twin) cats. 1 named Cas, and 1 named Misha.
    Cas looks like he's wearing a trench coat, so I thought it was fitting. lol
  • hitsnooze
    Options

Not on my end, it isn't.
    I've looked and looked, and I can't find it.
    It just went poof.

No, I'm not experiencing any fears about gaining weight with the right amount of calories.
    It's just more along the lines of 'frustration', because I thought I was doing everything right... which I obviously wasn't.
    And I'll go days between exercising if the weather is bad, and it won't really bother me. I just start back up again when the weather is nicer, and I don't try to make up for the days off.

I'm just one of those people who legitimately love working out. That's all.

Oh, and while I was scrolling down, my thumb (using my phone) accidentally hit your picture, and it took me to your profile.
    I saw you have a cat named Cas... Supernatural reference?
    But I have (twin) cats. 1 named Cas, and 1 named Misha.
    Cas looks like he's wearing a trench coat, so I thought it was fitting. lol

Fair enough, i'm glad to hear you're not suffering any anxiety over your intake. I feel you on the frustration though, it's the worst.

YES he's named after cas because he's a little dark angel. he's honestly the biggest brat but i love him, even when he wakes me up with his butt on my face at 5 in the morning :P