Gave up alcohol, lost weight

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    You have to remember "everything in moderation". A beer or two every night is not moderation.

Actually... that is exactly moderation and well within the limits that offer reported health benefits. (at least in men)
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...already on my 2nd glass ...to spiffy to pay this too much attention right now!! Cheers!:drinker:
  • shelleypetro3
    Options
    That doesn't seem healthy for you.
  • peakbagr
    peakbagr Posts: 1
    Options
    So glad to have stumbled upon this topic today. Most of these posts mirror my own struggle with feeling the need to eliminate the wine to lose the weight. So, it's finally time for me to embark on an experiment! Giving it all up for the remainder of March to see for my self if it makes the difference. I'll let you guys know at the end of my experiment what happens! Wish me luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Ate less calories, lost weight.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Also, in for puritanical views on alcohol.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You could always go dancing when drinking...I used to have 4-5 shots or single mixed drinks in diet coke (around 400 calories), and I'd dance for around 2 hours. So, overall, it was kind of a fun workout...
  • pinotnoirtoujours
    Options
    i have gained weight and i think its probably from all the wine that i drink. i don't eat a lot and i stay away from carbs and unlike many people, i don't binge eat or eat junk when i drink. i just am happy to drink.

i really want to lose weight, though, so i am going to cut back on the wine, although this does bring tears to my eyes... :(

i had cancer almost three years ago, and as i realize that chemotherapy is very toxic to the liver, i think that after my treatment, my liver was just not as up to speed as before.

does anyone else have this problem? it is disheartening for me, when i keep on dieting (in terms of food) and don't lose weight!
  • pinotnoirtoujours
    Options
    i am thinking about trying the oatmeal diet. has anyone else tried the oatmeal diet?
  • debas74
    debas74 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi just wondering if this support group is still
    Going I am a huge red wine drinker , well especially
    After my second son was born 9 months ago I drink a bottle most
    Nights and it has become a habit I can't seem to kick.

I am having a big 40 th party in about 7 weeks and want
    To lose a few kilos but know I need to stop drinking wine!!
    I have good intentions during the day but when night
    Time arrives I crack open a bottle grrrr

Any tips please people !
  • Deb23455
    Deb23455 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My name is Deb and I have about 40 more pounds to lose. I have lost about 16 pounds since the end of January.

I too drank a bottle of wine several nights a week most of this last winter. The end of January I decided I really needed to lose some of the weight I have gained mostly from drinking and being inactive. I JUST STOPPED...Not forever, I told myself, just for awhile, just see how it goes, just see if it helps. And it did! I lost an enormous amount of weight the first three weeks--10 ponds--of course I did cut back eating and did add exercise! I went 5 weeks without drinking then had 2 glasses of wine with dinner just 2 and immediately put back half a pound.
    I still drink occasionally, so losing weight is a whole lot slower--you just have to pick.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained much from alcohol. I fit it into my macros. Even with my last relationship, we could easily down a bottle (or two) of wine between the two of us, and I didn't notice much of a gain. The biggest gain I noticed was after the relationship ended, and even then, I gained 12lbs total over several months.

I could never give up a glass of wine, a dirty martini, or a mixed drink while I'm out. Just gotta learn to balance it with exercise and good food. And, eating before drinking helps to curb the post-drinking munchies as well!
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I will never give up alcohol. I know I will always have a few love rolls to hold on to as long as I sip on vodka, but I am okay with that. Counting calories, making healthier choices, not drinking soda, not having that extra roll at dinner is all already a great sacrifice. You cannot take my vodka!
    This.

You'll just as soon pry my low-ball from my cold, dead, fat, fingers.
  • sullenbee
    sullenbee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love craft beer, so I just find ways to work it into my diet. I ride my bike everywhere. (To work, breweries, social events, etc... so I figure I've earned it when I sit down for a beer :smile: ) I cut it out on days when I know I haven't been active enough to allow the extra calories.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i lost 80 lbs in the last 10 months and i couldn't have done it without alcohol. i just made sure to log it, and work out as much as possible and eat the best i could.

a life without bubbles in bed with my future husband, cocktails with my girlfriends, wine with my mom and dad and beers with my tacos, is just not a life i would enjoy, id much rather cut something else out!

party time.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The problem with alcohol is that is the high ratio of calories per gram: 7cal/g , second behind fat (9cal/g). The cals from alcohol, are used first by the body so, more alcohol, less carbs/fats used by the body.

This page looks ugly, but after compare the values with other (more incomplete) sites, looks correct: http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/collegestudents/calculator/alcoholcalc.aspx

So, in an average drinking night, you may be consuming calories equivalent to maybe to days!!

Yep, this is too sad :( I know.

I checked out that link. Oh. My. God. *is shocked*

I didn't realize how many calories some of these drinks had.
  • MinicozziLenz76
    MinicozziLenz76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of giving up alcohol...it is difficult for me, I'm taking it one day at a time. I need to lose weight for a vacation in July and I cannot fit into any of my former clothes and cringe at myself naked, AUGH. I recently started a Paleo lifestyle and I'm down almost 5 pounds in just a few days!! I always drink on the weekends, mainly at home and this was the first weekend I didn't. I was tempted a few times but didn't give in - YIPPY! I 'm trying to get to the point where I do not feel the need to turn to alcohol to celebrate lifes up and downs and every twist and turn in my life, be it good or bad...it's a bad behavior to start and it easily forms because of how difficult and stressful this world has become. Once I reach my goal weight I would like to reintroduce alcohol for the very special occasions. In the meantime I am trying to get back to hobbies I use to enjoy like reading, exercising, meditation and taking up a new sport like golf. These new activities are keeping me busy and helping me undo a bad habit I created. Wish me luck!!! :) XO
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank in a month and I have lost 10 lbs already down from 235 to 225 at 6'1.

I had no problem drinking a 5th of whiskey or 15-20 beers in a night, and that will add up to a days worth of calories by itself lol
  • slatch10
    slatch10 Posts: 14
    Options
    if you like to drink, this is a good website:

www.getdrunknotfat.com
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ...these nights ended with pizza, or nommin' away on a bag of chips.
    If high proof liquor is adding up to thousands of calories a day, you have bigger problems. Pizza and chips are another story. As long as you're not using the liquor as an open invitiation to yourself to eat as much as what feels good you'll be fine.