Using butternut squash?

Options
ovi212
ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
I was wondering if anyone had any good uses for butternut squash? I just bought one and have never had it before.
The lower calorie the better!
Thanks!

Replies

• BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash makes a really good soup if you saute some onions in butter and then cut the squash into a large dice and add it to the pot with chicken stock to cover. Add a little salt, nutmeg, and fresh thyme and simmer til the squash is very tender. Puree, return to stove and add a tiny bit of cream or half and half.
  • Meg5065
    Meg5065 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like to roast it--halved & seeded, cut side down, roast at 375 deg F till soft. Add applesauce & cinnamon in the scooped-out section, if desired.

I also use it in a roasted winter vegetable medley--cubed squash, quartered onions, halved brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, beets, turnips--etc. Cut up the vegetables and spread one layer think on large roasting pan. Add a little olive oil & stir to coat the veggies, add about a teaspoon of Ms. Dash (salt-free seasoning), 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, and a few tablespoons of white balsamic or white wine vinegar. Roast at 375 F for 1/2 hour, stir the veggies, and continue roasting till the onions & brussels sprouts begin to caramelize and the squash & other root veggies are soft.

Yummy!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I second the soup suggestion. I've made this one (without turnips) and it's really, really good! An immersion blender works well for this type of soup. http://www.yummymummykitchen.com/2011/12/roasted-butternut-squash-soup.html

This lasagna recipe is good too, I add turkey and do a traditional lasagna versus roll-ups. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna.html

Have fun!
  • katoftheyear
    Options
    Butternut squash makes a wicked dairy-free "cheese" sauce. You can of course always use real cheese in it... but it's great without: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/03/butternut-squash-mac-n-cheeze/

I also like to mash it (kind of like mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes) after roasting and scooping out the flesh; this mash is really tasty as a side dish but it can go into soups or stuff homemade ravioli. :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My sister in law cubes it and simmers it in butter and orange juice and seasons it with sage. Sounds odd but there are never leftovers.
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any good uses for butternut squash? I just bought one and have never had it before.
    The lower calorie the better!
    Thanks!
    [/quote

If you have the time grate it and use it as the base of a thai curry with onions chickpeas and your own curry paste or store bought low fat low sodium type with low fat coconut milk. Awesome with noodles.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Cut into pieces (I don't bother removing the skin). Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt/pepper and roast at 425 until soft. YUMMY!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Cut into pieces (I don't bother removing the skin). Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt/pepper and roast at 425 until soft. YUMMY!

This^^^ Simple and effective, if you want to really cut the calories, just use a light cooking spray or cook face down, either way it is awesome.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm about to experiment with making fries out of it... cut in to strips, sprinkle with salt and let sit on a paper towel to dran some of the water then toss in olive oil salt pepper garlic to taste and roast them like baked fries... If you get crazy you can make a spicy aioli sauce with mayo paprika cayanne garlic.. whatever you like.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    definitely soup!!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I use it in a variety of soups, and also eat it "straight up" -- roasted without anything. I consider it a more rustic flavored squash and it reminds me of the fall.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    These are all yummy recipe suggestions. it is a delicious squash! If you feel inspired, don't throw out the seeds! Rinse them in a colander (get off all of the strings, like with pumpkin seeds), roast them on a cookie sheet (no oil needed) until lightly browned and crispy. You can sprinkle with salt while they are wet from rinsing prior to baking if you'd like. I use them on salads or as a delicious snack. Why waste them, they are so good!!!
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Soup with immersion blender you can substitute Greek yogurt for the cream and add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper to the other spices listed.

This is one of my favorite soups.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Definitely my go-to! Screw the soup ... takes too long. :happy:
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    honestly i just love it steamed with brussel sprouts. yummmmm.

butternut squash-ginger soup is great too!
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I should have bought many lol so many ideas
    I really want to try roasting half and then fries with half I think :)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I like to roast it--halved & seeded, cut side down, roast at 375 deg F till soft. Add applesauce & cinnamon in the scooped-out section, if desired.

Yummy!

MMMMMMMM roasted squash! Not only can you fill it with applesauce and cinnamon (I like to add a little brown sugar or artificial sweetener if you can stand it)

If you prefer savory to sweet, scoop out the seeds, then in the middle add a mixture of chopped spinach, nuts, asparagus, whatever vegetables you like, you can also add some oatmeal and/or cubed bread with some poultry seasoning and just enough vegetable broth to wet it, bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.

Another thing I really like is to saute onions, garlic, bell peppers, vegetables, (and for my son tomatoes although I won't touch the nasty things) with some ground turkey or chicken, and some Italian seasoning. I usually use some mixture like summer squash, spinach, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. Once the veggies and meat are cooked, put them in the squash, add a little Parmesan and Mozzarella (or not, it tastes amazing with or without the cheese) and bake until the squash is soft.

Happy eating! :drinker:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    These are all yummy recipe suggestions. it is a delicious squash! If you feel inspired, don't throw out the seeds! Rinse them in a colander (get off all of the strings, like with pumpkin seeds), roast them on a cookie sheet (no oil needed) until lightly browned and crispy. You can sprinkle with salt while they are wet from rinsing prior to baking if you'd like. I use them on salads or as a delicious snack. Why waste them, they are so good!!!

I've never had good luck with the squash or pumpkin seeds, they always turn out kind of chewy. What am I doing wrong?
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I've never had good luck with the squash or pumpkin seeds, they always turn out kind of chewy. What am I doing wrong?

You have to roast them quite a while at low temps, and make sure you use salt to suck out the water,