Ladies only!

Options
Okay gals, I have a question for ya. Since my youngest was 3 months old I have been on the Mirena IUD. I have done nothing but struggle with my weight since then and have gained. It is now running out and now I am losing weight easier and my daily medications I have to take seem to be working better. Could it all be from my birth control? If you havnt had any issues with yours what kind are you on? I really wanna get this weight off so an IUD is out for me. HELP!

Replies

• oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You could consider the copper IUD which is hormone free.
  • lilaak007
    lilaak007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena IUD and had no weight gain at all although it did affect my mood.
  • MrsPaulSmith
    MrsPaulSmith Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My doctor warned me that birth control would probably cause me to gain weight.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've heard that birth control can make you gain weight but I don't think it's a 100% for sure thing. First thing is that birth control can effect each woman differently. I've been on a low estrogen pill and I lost 60 lbs, then I gained 40 lbs back because I didn't care about my diet. Right now I'm on the implant and the only issue I've had is the the area where it was put in itches on occasion.

Also each birth control has a different delivery method. Taking a pill every day is not possible for everyone and others my not like something in their arm. It's a personal decision for what works with individual person.
  • wickedpursuit
    wickedpursuit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some forms of birth control are prone to causing weight gain - I'm not sure if Mirena is one, but it couldn't hurt to sift through any information you can find about it. Another thing to consider is whether your lifestyle and/or diet changed when you got the IUD. It's possible something else - not the birth control - is the real culprit.

I say this because I'm on Depo, which is notorious for nasty amounts of weight gain. The first time I was on it, I ballooned from 135 to 220 over a few years. The cause? Not the birth control, in retrospect: I had gone from one bad relationship into another, got married, and was obscenely depressed. I eat when I'm depressed, so weight gain was pretty inevitable. I got off the shot after getting divorced and, of course, lost a bunch of weight because I wasn't miserable and jamming everything into my face. I'm on Depo again and haven't seen an ounce of weight gain.

Basically, all of that to say: it could be the birth control or it could be a lifestyle/diet choice that was made that's causing it. Fortunately, there are tons of options out there now - it's not just the Pill or nothing!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    My wife got one and I lost weight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is that an electric car?
  • mrsmomma1222
    mrsmomma1222 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had the mirena for 14 months now. Since it was inserted I have gained 25 pounds!!

My dr swears that there is no proven weight gain with mirena. I say, bull sh!!. I had the same results with the depo, the same weight gain, moodiness, feeling sentimental more often, etc. The mirena works by putting increased hormones into your body... Those hormones do make my body gain weight. I know my body best, and while I do need to diet and exercise, I also need my mirena removed for successful weightloss.

So, YES The mirena could be your trouble. If you do a google search of mirena and weight gain you will see many other women agree that they experienced the same.

Unfortunately however, I have experienced weight gain with every form of birth control I have tried. (Pills, POP pills, depo, mirena.). The one that affected my body the least and I was still able to lose weight with were the POP pills. I would look into the one the is inserted in your arm. I am drawing a blank on the name right now but I have heard some women I know day good things. Also the copper IUD I believe to be hormone free, therefore should not have the same negative effect.

Goodluck to you!!!!
  • Calm_Lotus_06
    Calm_Lotus_06 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can get the answers I need this week! You all rock!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My wife got one and I lost weight.

:laugh:
  • TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yeah , im here. Ladies only huh?
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena for three months and had to have it taken out because I was having major problems with it. I'm on Junel, which I think is one of the lowest hormone birth control options. I've been on it for 13 months and haven't gained any weight.