Losing appetite over gross food?

Options
And wondering how ya'll deal with it?
I made a salad tonight that I really love. One of the ingredients is sour cream (you mix it with homemade guacamole on your salad, and it creates a "dressing", so you don't need to add any additional dressing or oil onto it).

I tried a fat free version of sour cream today. I got the whole salad built, opened the sour cream...
And it was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. It was not creamy, but entirely liquid, and chunky. I tried to mix it, and smelled it to make sure it was still good, but I was gagging. Went to eat the salad with a healthy dressing on it, in lieu of the sour cream, and couldn't bring myself to eat it. So I'm wayyy under my calories for the day, because I can't bring myself to try to eat anything else. Can't get the chunky, liquidy sour cream image out of my head!

Ever have the same experience with something gross?

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    yes I have experienced that so instead of eating I made myself a fruit smoothie and sipped on that to get my calories :smile:
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think your sour cream was bad. I have used fat-free sour cream before, and it did not look like that. I didn't like it, but it definitely didn't look like what you described.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If meat has spoiled, I can't eat anything else after smelling that. I can't remember any other example.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Hm... I have a feeling there's going to be a boost in fat-free sour cream sales after this post...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I think your sour cream was bad. I have used fat-free sour cream before, and it did not look like that. I didn't like it, but it definitely didn't look like what you described.

Did it look close to the full-fat version? I've never seen the lower-fat versions look like the one I got (it's dated to be good until May 2014), but about 1/8 of an inch was pure liquid, and the chunkiness definitely was throughout the entire thing..didn't seem like it was a settling issue. Even the full fat version generally only has a thin film of liquid on top, and it still looks creamy.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Hm... I have a feeling there's going to be a boost in fat-free sour cream sales after this post...

I should be the spokeswoman for this store's brand of sour cream, haha.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options

The hottest new appetite suppressant: No risks, no side-effects! Look in the dairy aisle right next to the good stuff.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

The hottest new appetite suppressant: No risks, no side-effects! Look in the dairy aisle right next to the good stuff.

"Don't do one of those fad juice cleanses, or use Slimfast/Advocare/Garcinia Cambogia/Herbalife. Just go to Missiontofitness's house and smell the sour cream in her fridge!"
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Plain 0% Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream?
    I can't really tell much of a difference in the 2.. except price.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I have not; I generally can't stomach yogurt unless it's mixed with fruit in a smoothie. I don't think I'd be able to handle it being on a salad, given my aversion to it. :(
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Yes but the ff sour cream I used to use was creamy, not chunky. I use ff greek yogurt instead, now. I

Just recently I didn't have time to stop at a proper grocery store, so I bought some tilapia at the Wal-Mart Supercenter. I thought it would be okay because it was frozen but it was the nastiest, rankest thing I think I've ever smelled and the taste was so bad my son still can't look at a plate of tilapia (even the fresh stuff) without retching. I thought about taking it back but then I would have to carry it in my car so instead I double bagged it (like we would infectious medical waste) and threw it away. Even my dogs were holding their noses and running away from this fish. BLECH!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I have not; I generally can't stomach yogurt unless it's mixed with fruit in a smoothie. I don't think I'd be able to handle it being on a salad, given my aversion to it. :(

Not plain yogurt..that is gross. I can't stand it. Plain 0% Greek Yogurt tastes pretty much like sour cream. I use it on tacos and in my ranch dressing I make at home.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Yes but the ff sour cream I used to use was creamy, not chunky. I use ff greek yogurt instead, now. I

Just recently I didn't have time to stop at a proper grocery store, so I bought some tilapia at the Wal-Mart Supercenter. I thought it would be okay because it was frozen but it was the nastiest, rankest thing I think I've ever smelled and the taste was so bad my son still can't look at a plate of tilapia (even the fresh stuff) without retching. I thought about taking it back but then I would have to carry it in my car so instead I double bagged it (like we would infectious medical waste) and threw it away. Even my dogs were holding their noses and running away from this fish. BLECH!

Oh man. Don't even get me started on them...
    I bought some produce there once (first mistake). The pepper had rotted and liquefied from the inside out in only a few days, and I stored it how I usually do fresh produce. Exploded in my hand over my red potatoes. And, my blueberries had mold on them only a couple days later! They made me bring the rotted food back up to them for a return...so I fished out the liquid-y pepper out of the trash, threw it in the same bag as the blueberries and potatoes, and had to actually lock it in my trunk because the smell was unbearable in my car.

I would never trust any meat/produce from them again! Given that it's fish, you def should have returned it. You don't mess with fish/meat products, and clearly they sold you an inferior product! Imagine if you didn't notice and had eaten it..that would have been horrible! I don't know how they can get away with selling some of the stuff they do.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Not plain yogurt..that is gross. I can't stand it. Plain 0% Greek Yogurt tastes pretty much like sour cream. I use it on tacos and in my ranch dressing I make at home.

Oh, I know. I just don't think I can get over my aversion to it, even if it did taste similar. I really can't stand yogurt in any form, other than smoothie form. :(
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I seriously LOVE milk. In college I was drinking 1/2 to a whole gallon of milk a day. I was home visiting over break, grabbed the milk out of the fridge and went to take a nice big swig out of the jug. Got a mouth full and had already started to swallow before I realized it was chunky. I at least got to the sink before I started expelling it. I wasn't able to drink milk again for at least a year. To this day I won't touch the jug if it's even a day past the date and I start smell testing at least 5 days before the date hits.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Nope. I could get deathly Ill from eating fish one night, and have fish for breakfast. It doesn't bother me at all. It never has. I don't understand how people can go to a restaurant for 5 years, get sick once, and never go again. But, I'm just weird that way.

Dude, I think that makes you a superhero because I ate at a restaurant in Vegas in 2005, got sick on a portabella mushroom burger and not only do I refuse to go back to the restaurant, it was a looooooong time before I could look a mushroom in the eye again and I love mushrooms!

YOP7App.gif
    Oh man. Don't even get me started on them...
    I bought some produce there once (first mistake). The pepper had rotted and liquefied from the inside out in only a few days, and I stored it how I usually do fresh produce. Exploded in my hand over my red potatoes. And, my blueberries had mold on them only a couple days later! They made me bring the rotted food back up to them for a return...so I fished out the liquid-y pepper out of the trash, threw it in the same bag as the blueberries and potatoes, and had to actually lock it in my trunk because the smell was unbearable in my car.

I would never trust any meat/produce from them again! Given that it's fish, you def should have returned it. You don't mess with fish/meat products, and clearly they sold you an inferior product! Imagine if you didn't notice and had eaten it..that would have been horrible! I don't know how they can get away with selling some of the stuff they do.

I've had fish (even sashimi and tilapia!) since my Wally World escapade but I definitely do the "smell test" first. In fact, I'm going to make fish tonight but I'm going to Whole Foods to buy it. I've had some issues with Wal-Mart produce, too, sort of in the line of the blueberries, but nothing like the pepper! Just reading about it made me sick :sick: (I think I'll be picking up some produce from Whole Foods as well while I'm there!)
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    yeah can happen, dont worry about it just have the extra calories tomorrow :)
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You need to try rice milk cheese if you want to swear off food for a few days! I am milk intolerant and went through a period of,trying sheep, goat, water buffalo type products for balance in my diet. Nothing is more off putting than rice milk cheese and margarine.

Please feel some compassion for those folks who truly do not have any other choices!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

This, dairy doesn't curdle until it's gone bad. Unless you are making/eating cheese on purpose, for the love of Pete, don't eat curdled anything.

And, yes, I have had that experience - usually for me it's with smelling someone else's burned food. Someone burned popcorn at work the other day and I had to go outside & walk before I could eat my lunch.