Camping Recipes

Options
jnpat
jnpat Posts: 2 Member
I am going camping with friends next weekend. Everyone else is eating hot dogs and cheese puffs. I don't mind have a cheat MEAL, but I can't pig out all weekend. I was thinking of taking chicken sausages to substitute the hot dogs. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    bring along fresh veggies and fruit. It really all depends on if you're going to be able to keep the food cold. maybe make ahead some wraps or a big salad with topping in separate containers you can just toss together when ready to eat?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You could make some turkey burger patties and freeze them - they should keep for a couple days in the cooler if they are frozen when you go.

Some fruit and veg that travel well.
    Healthy muffins (great for breakfast with a slice of cheddar)

Sorry, not much help but the last time I went camping the major food group was alcohol :drinker:
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    our last camping trip in the fall, I smoked several large turkey legs for the family the day before we left for the 3 day trip. wrapped them up and put them in a cooler. It was a delicious snack to pull the turkey meat and just nibble now and then. We roasted turkey franks, brought apples, oranges, grapes. Did grill burgers a couple of those nights but, the other food probably made up the difference. Of course I have a bi-level cooler that's almost as wide as my truck bed and keeps ice block for 4 days.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Graham cracker + large marshmallow + chocolate square = pure joy :heart:
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I always cook up chicken before camping and its still yummy cold. Hard boiled eggs, apples, oranges, grapes, put salad fixings in extra zip loc bags, they travel well and take up less room in the cooler. Make up turkey burgers or quinoa burgers to freeze before going, they will keep for a couple of days. http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/epic-crispy-quinoa-burgers-topped-sweet-potato-fries-beer-caramelized-onions-gruyere/ wicked yummy!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    We did steak kabobs last time we went camping. I made the kabobs with just steak. I stored them in the Yetti. I bought some of that cooked rice in the foil bag. It was really yummy. I just added a little water and heated it in a skillet. I've heard that campfire baked sweet potatoes or baked potatoes are good. You can get a camping pop corn poper to use instead of eating a bunch of marshmallows. I brought a big bag of cut up veggies, like broccoli and squash, to sauté or steam. I also brought a container of cut up fruit. Some brands on pork and beans are pretty good too.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy to do foil pack food. Lay some frozen veggies and ground turkey or chicken on a nice sized sheet of aluminum foil, spray lightly with some cooking oil, fold up to make a loose pack and it steams in there. We did that on a recent Cub Scout trip and it was tasty and healthy.

Burritos could also be pretty easy...just bring some veggie ingredients, 1/2 pound to pound of the lean ground beef/turkey whatever you want meatwise and a pack of taco seasoning....cook that up in a camper pan and throw into burritos with the diced veggies/cheese and some salsa/taco sauce. You could probably also use the steam pack trick to reheat some refried beans if you wanted those or black beans would also be good.

Heck do a breakfast scramble with eggs, cheese and black beans.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    room tempature foods

Fruit - apples, oranges, pears, grapes, bananas
    Veggies- carrots, cucmber, celery, cherry tomatos
    beef jerky
    whole wheat bread and hotdog buns
    canned tuna
    fruit cups
    trail mix - make urself
    dried fruit
    green tea
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Campsite macaroni:

Boil some macaroni in a pan. Drain and put the macaroni on a plate / in a bowl.
    Heat up some spam (chopped pork and ham) in the same pan. Add back the macaroni.
    Add some ketchup or a tin of chopped tomatoes. Heat through.
    Have a bag of green leaves with it for veggies.
  • paigecash
    paigecash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not much help but the last time I went camping the major food group was alcohol :drinker:

Sounds like the way we camp. :laugh:

Seriously, fruit, vegs, protein bars so you can have a treat while everyone else is eating sweets. We grill chicken, turkey dogs (no bun), grilled vegetables with a drizzle of olive oil, cereal and milk for breakfast. I don't know if you have a camper, or a site with electricity, or if you rough it (we do) but take your own cooler with your own healthy stuff. Hot air popcorn is a good bet too. We also take deli meat and do sandwiches everyday for lunch, whole wheat bread and no mayo, easy on the cheese for me, lots of tomato and lettuce.
    Another thing to keep in mind, although you don't want to rely on this wholly, is that you expend a lot more energy camping, since you have to truck the dishes to the slop sink, walk to the shower and the bathroom, carry heavy stuff around, set up, take down, and then recreate if you're not exhausted from the rest.
    Have fun and don't worry too much about it. If you have a few cheat meals, just get back on the wagon Monday morning.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot:
    Beef
    Carrots
    Potatoes
    Onions

Chop everything and saute the meat ahead at home with salt and pepper and in a little flour,.

Put all together in the pot and plug in early in the day. Season to taste. In the evening you have a masterpiece. Don't forget to add lots of water. Other veggies can be added if desired. Peas, corn.................
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Google foil pack recipes. They are easily done on the fire. I love doing one with onions, turkey keilbasa, and peppers.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    campfire pizzas using mutli grain flatbreads. these are cheap and easy and you can make them however you want.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My favorite camp food is bacon. Only 45 calories per slice. There is nothing better than the smell and taste of bacon over a campfire.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Foil Pack recipes are awesome.
    We usually do foil packs with mini meatloafs, some carrots, onion, and potatoes with a little butter and salt and pepper... maybe some garlic. Toss them on the coals at camp and let it 'em go. They are SO tasty.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    When I camp, regardless of type of camping, I eat the same stuff I would eat if I was home.

Nowhere does it state when you go camping you have to eat hotdogs and potatoe chips.
    Mind you I eat those at home!

Anything and everything can be cooked in a fire over a fire, near a fire or on a BBQ if you are "car camping/RVing."
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Graham cracker + large marshmallow + chocolate square = pure joy :heart:

+1 absolutely
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • amylotti
    amylotti Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers

1 Turkey mince patty (I use Ingham)
    1 Wholemeal bread roll
    Lettuce, shredded
    Carrot, grated

^399 calories

(and include whatever else you enjoy in a burger)
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Make these Hobo Dinner things. Get a length of foil put cubed chicken or beef along with cut up onion, carrot, potato and whatever spices you want. They taste so good. All you have to do is put them in the coals and walk away for about a half hour.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hobo-dinner Here is an example recipe using ground beef.