Eggs: good or bad?

Options

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    What bothers me is that they are 60% fat, and loaded with cholesterol...

That's why you should eat them, the yolks are the most nutritious pare, your body needs fat, especially the kind found in eggs, and dietary cholesterol actually raises your good cholesterol. Eat the whole egg, in fact, eat several.

Rigger
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I eat good egggs....not bad egggs.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Eggs good. Fire bad!
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    3 hard boiled eggs every day. Love 'em!!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and eat them almost daily for the protein. That said, I eat egg whites at least 80% of the time and whole eggs the rest.

I have the inherited "bad" cholesterol that is damn near impossible to lower without meds. I do a good job though of lowering it with diet and exercise. I don't like taking meds and I'm inconsistent in taking them.

My blood work shows a lowering of cholesterol levels from year to year, so, winning!! As for the debate on what does/doesn't cause high cholesterol, I'll leave that to the "scholars". What I'm doing works for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options
    Fat is a necessary macro. Our body actually needs cholesterol. When cholesterol is a problem in our bodies it's more likely due to high grain/sugar consumption (go research that assertion for yourself if you are so inclined- I don't get paid enough to do it for you). Years and years of low fat diets, and the switch from saturated fats to soy/corn/canola, sure isn't improving obesity and health of the population is it? Quite the opposite.

Our body also produces cholesterol. Dietary intake of cholesterol is not necessary. My diet does not have cholesterol in it, and has not for over a year.

As to your assertion about high grain and sugar consumption, you're the one making the assertion, you should back it up with facts. I eat a diet high in carbohydrates, (including lots of whole grains) and I lost over 170 pounds in a year. Perhaps the problem is more around eating excessive amounts of processed junk food? Perhaps the problem is eating to meet cravings rather than the nutritional needs of our bodies?
    Generally a diet high in grains and sugar and where carbs represent a high percentage of total calories will increase triglyceride's, lower HDL increase C-reactive protein and influence the liver to produce cholesterol with small dense particles.......all of which is not ideal. Your probably fine considering your weight loss but I would imagine your HDL is in the cellar. Not consuming cholesterol has nothing to do with reducing cholesterol in the blood, that is dictated by lifestyle and genetics.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There was a time for about a year straight, I ate an egg every single day but never had any problems with my cholesterol. I agree it's one of those foods that has gotten a bad reputation.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have an egg a day, as a bedtime snack.
    But I am not a big fan of hard boiled chicken eggs, so I have duck eggs, which although higher in calories, are more filling and more nutrient dense, and apparently also alkaline, as opposed to acidic. (someone posted that in another topic on this forum).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I have even known a vegan who will make an allowance in their no-animal-product-lifestyle for eggs, provided they come from back yard pet chickens, versus store eggs.
    Well she's not a 'vegan' then. I'm not being judgmental, I never try to convert people but I get annoyed, especially in restaurants when people get these terms wrong.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I have even known a vegan who will make an allowance in their no-animal-product-lifestyle for eggs, provided they come from back yard pet chickens, versus store eggs.
    Well she's not a 'vegan' then. I'm not being judgmental, I never try to convert people but I get annoyed, especially in restaurants when people get these terms wrong.
    Apparently only 1 in a 1000 people that say they're vegan actually are, from vegan sources......you should know this if your vegan.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    well the eggs come from an animal, so it is not vegan. However some ethics based vegans will eat eggs under the conditions that the eggs are from pet chickens, and no roosters have been harmed in the process of getting the eggs. (the commercial egg industry has to seperate and kill the boy chicks, unfortunately)

Anyways. No its not vegan, but its an ethical grey area for some vegans.

I however, eat eggs, and I am not vegan/anywhere near.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of eggs. I eat at least 2 a day and my fiance has 4. They really are a superfood in so many ways, especially if you can either raise the chickens yourself or spring for the pasture raised ones (they're like $8 per carton where I live, so we ended up raising our own).
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love love love eggs! My favourite..........Yummy!!!

Eat the whole egg

I think the most amount of eggs I have eaten in a day is 6 lool
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I'm a big fan of eggs. I eat at least 2 a day and my fiance has 4. They really are a superfood in so many ways, especially if you can either raise the chickens yourself or spring for the pasture raised ones (they're like $8 per carton where I live, so we ended up raising our own).
    8.00.wow. I get mine right from the farm close to where I live and are 3 bucks.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    "A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid." --my favorite riddle from the Hobbit. :)

Just about every animal eats eggs. Once raccoons learn how to make fire, they'll probably cook them more ways than humans do.

I love them so much I have 4 hens in my backyard, so I don't have to go all the way to the store for them.

:drinker:
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My farmer delivers me eggs for 1.25 per dozen. Rural livin' I tells ya.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I usually eat one whole and 5 egg whites. Egg beaters have extra ingredients in them. I wouldn't eat them. The store I go to has egg whites, which are the only ingrediant.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Absolutely HORRIBLE for you. Terrible. Don't ruin your health with evil eggs!

Please send all unused eggs to my house for...disposal. Yeah, yeah disposal.
  • AlmightyAce
    AlmightyAce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    "A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid." --my favorite riddle from the Hobbit. :)

Just about every animal eats eggs. Once raccoons learn how to make fire, they'll probably cook them more ways than humans do.

I love them so much I have 4 hens in my backyard, so I don't have to go all the way to the store for them.

:drinker:
    +1 for your quote. LOVE IT. <3
    I eat eggs daily at breakfast with my wheat, double fiber toast. Keeps me full until lunchtime.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Fat is a necessary macro. Our body actually needs cholesterol. When cholesterol is a problem in our bodies it's more likely due to high grain/sugar consumption (go research that assertion for yourself if you are so inclined- I don't get paid enough to do it for you). Years and years of low fat diets, and the switch from saturated fats to soy/corn/canola, sure isn't improving obesity and health of the population is it? Quite the opposite.

Our body also produces cholesterol. Dietary intake of cholesterol is not necessary. My diet does not have cholesterol in it, and has not for over a year.

As to your assertion about high grain and sugar consumption, you're the one making the assertion, you should back it up with facts. I eat a diet high in carbohydrates, (including lots of whole grains) and I lost over 170 pounds in a year. Perhaps the problem is more around eating excessive amounts of processed junk food? Perhaps the problem is eating to meet cravings rather than the nutritional needs of our bodies?
    Generally a diet high in grains and sugar and where carbs represent a high percentage of total calories will increase triglyceride's, lower HDL increase C-reactive protein and influence the liver to produce cholesterol with small dense particles.......all of which is not ideal. Your probably fine considering your weight loss but I would imagine your HDL is in the cellar. Not consuming cholesterol has nothing to do with reducing cholesterol in the blood, that is dictated by lifestyle and genetics.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dxmarkers

According to EPIC-Oxford and several other studies vegans have comparable HDL cholesterol and lower LDL cholesterol.