I gained 8 pounds over night! :(

Options
I have been using myfitnesspal to track exercise and what I eat, in the hopes of loosing 10-12 pounds. I have been netting at 1300 calories per day, and as of yesterday had dropped 4.5 pounds in one week! But, last night I are out (taco salad) and had 2.5 glasses of wine... This mornin I weighed myself and have gained 8 pounds overnight!!!! That's 3 pounds heavier than I was when I first started a week ago! I feel so discouraged :(

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    it's all water/food weight from what you ate the day before. don't sweat it. the average person's body weight can fluctuate lbs a day based on diet and activity. you didn't gain 8lbs of fat in one night.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You will go up and down (me - as much as 5 pounds in a day). What you want to focus on is the downward trend.

Read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Since you're just beginning:

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have patience.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No you didn't
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    You didn't gain 8 pounds of fat overnight. That would be impossible. It's probably just water. Alcohol dehydrates the body, which in turn freaks your body out. Drink lots of water to flush your system out.

I know others have said it before, but weight loss is something that you need to look at over the long term, not the short term. Instead of stressing over how your weight changes in 1 day, look at how your weight changes week to week and month to month. It's a lot less stressful.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 8 pounds of fat overnight. That would be impossible. It's probably just water. Alcohol dehydrates the body, which in turn freaks your body out. Drink lots of water to flush your system out.

I know others have said it before, but weight loss is something that you need to look at over the long term, not the short term. Instead of stressing over how your weight changes in 1 day, look at how your weight changes week to week and month to month. It's a lot less stressful.

Yep...this exactly!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is also potentially time of the month stuff to possibly consider there too.
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad was likely loaded with salt and you have retained water. Keep on track and in a few days you will see everything is fine.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You will go up and down (me - as much as 5 pounds in a day). What you want to focus on is the downward trend.

Read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Since you're just beginning:

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have patience.

This!!!!!

You did not gain 8 lbs of fat in 24 hrs! Do some reading and you'll get it figured out.be patient and eat at a deficit, and it will work out :-)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can't gain 8 pounds overnight. It's water weight, probably because of all the salt and the alcohol.

Don't weigh yourself too much. It will only mess with your mind.

Drink plenty of water (yeah, I know, it sounds strange but if you're retaining water you should drink more). And don't worry! Good luck. :)
  • roxanneank1973
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your helpful responses. This was actually the first time I have ever posted on a public forum, and I now see why people do it. What a fabulous way to get informative support from people who have more experience. I will drink water, avoid alcohol ;) and keep at it. Thank you!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have been using myfitnesspal to track exercise and what I eat, in the hopes of loosing 10-12 pounds. I have been netting at 1300 calories per day, and as of yesterday had dropped 4.5 pounds in one week! But, last night I are out (taco salad) and had 2.5 glasses of wine... This mornin I weighed myself and have gained 8 pounds overnight!!!! That's 3 pounds heavier than I was when I first started a week ago! I feel so discouraged :(
    Also do not weigh yourself every day. I have a weigh in once a week on Tuesday morning and until that morning comes, I avoid the scale like the plague! Weight can fluctuate with high sodium foods, (like tacos), and I noticed in the past after having a few glasses of wine, and not enough water the night before, it looked like I had gained 3lbs back.
    Since I resolved to not do a daily weigh in, I am a lot happier so far with my progress.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Did you consume 10500 calories? I doubt it. You had a big meal last night...you weigh more today! Do the math! Weighing after a big meal is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Somebody should also point out to you that you didn't lose 4.5 pounds of fat in one week either. Some was fat but most of it was water in glycogen. I remember the first time I ever went on south beach. I lost 7 pounds in the first 2 days. One again, glycogen and water!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I see these posts so often, and it is probably nothing, but be cautious, too. If this happens regularly, or if you find yourself short-of-breath, or waking up in the middle of the night suddenly, it could be other things, too. Make sure your blood pressure is good and if not or you have the other symptoms I mentioned, see your doctor. It is unlikely, and I am much older, but large water weight gains can also be a sign of congestive heart failure. I have to weigh every day to keep tabs on my water weight gains. Too much for me can be life threatening. Of course, I am much older, but old age isn't a requirement.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    No, you did not gain 8 lbs. That will come right back off in the next day or two. It is just water weight. Daily weighings will drive you crazy. After any big meal, you gain bloat... But bloat is only temporary... In a couple of days it (or most of it) will be gone. Don't worry about this short term... If you are on 1300, you probably had lost some water weight so your body just replenished what it had been deprived... Saying that, the low weight probably was not totally "real" but neither is the upper weight... It will all balance out. Be patient and keep working. You've got this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

unless you managed to consumed 28,000 calories in one night then this is not a real gain …just water weight…

you should really only weigh in once a week, at the same time and day ...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad was likely loaded with salt and you have retained water. Keep on track and in a few days you will see everything is fine.

Yup!

I was up 4 pounds today but that jar of pickles sure was yummy! It's water, it will be gone in a day or two.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to point out the importance of taking measurements. Things like waist size do not fluctuate like body weight. Measurements are much more stable over time and if you stay in a deficit, you will see a slow progression, rather than the ups and downs of body weight.

This!