Ok .. worth a try size 20 wants to be size 12.

Options

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    you can do it! I started as a size 18/20 jean/dress, depending on brands. Now people are telling me I'm too skinny. lol down to a size 6/8
  • emilyasdf
    emilyasdf Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You're at the right place! You can do it! I did. I was an 18/20 when I started MFP, I'm currently pants size 12(sometimes ten) and shirt size M or L. Highest weight I think was about 246, could've been higher. I didn't particularly like stepping on the scale at this time now currently 162. MFP helped me, it can help you, too!
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! I hear you! My 8 year old passed a comment this past summer about me not playing sports with him because I am too fat. It hurt - a lot! Although he meant it innocently, I am sure. It was the slap in the face I needed.

I started my journey back to healthy weight this February 10, 2014. I joined a 6 month dietbet .com program that will end August. The goal is to lose 10% of your starting weight - which for me will be 216.9. So between upfronting the $145 to compete (I hate wasting money - so I know it would be motivation to get my money back) and using this site to track my food and exercise. Friends and support also help!

Start your program in incriments - it's helped me, maybe it'll work for you. Month 1: only work on food intake, trying to stay within your calorie target. And drinking water (lots of it, over 10 glasses (80oz) a day - no more soda! Water will fill you up, clean you out and make your skin look younger & fresher. Month 2: same but add in 2 days a week of 30 min. exercising. Month 3 (for me is April 11) add in another day. Month 4: increase one 30 min to 45 min 1 day a week, Month 5: increase another 30 min to 45. Month 6: add in a core/tone routine into workout program to firm up the sagginess all your work has created!

I started at a size 20 (241 pounds), I'm now just shy of 2 months a 16/18 (222.5 pounds) - and have only 6 more pounds to go to hit my 10% goal- and hopefully get all or more of my $ back! Since tracking - I've lost 17% of my belly fat ALONE just by walking more drinking water and tracking my food intake. I love how MFP lets you add in measurement tracking to your progress meter. It's helping me to see where it's coming off and where it's not (my arms-boo- gosh I need to work on my lunch ladies!)

Anyways, set your goals, keep them attainable - track them - be vigilant ---and soon I'm sure you'll be like the others here - I am confident you can do it!! Kids are a great motivator - and there are lots of ladies here all cheering you on! :)
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am not sure you can drop 8 sizes in 3 or 4 months. But you can drop a couple sizes for sure. The scale is a nice way to see pounds lost, but the tape measure shows actual inches being lost and your clothing will tell you if you are doing well too. :) Good luck!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Used to be 22, now 16. It's taken me 6 years because I'm awesome like that -- the last ten pounds has taken me 4 years. But at least the scale is going down, not up. The point is, it's a life change, not a diet. And yes, since you're just starting, you can definitely see the needle on the scale move down by the summer!
  • imtheonly1
    Options
    Used to be a 24/26 now 18. some 16's. its taken me since August 2013 to lose the 66lbs, I still have a ways to go. Bout another 60lbs hoping to have that gone by this august. We'll see tho. Just take one day at a time, pre cook meals especially if ur hella busy. YOU can do this.
  • PAULAJACKSON23
    PAULAJACKSON23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was once a size "can't even buy it in a store" and today I'm in a 12 Levi, and a Large or XL shirt. It's been a LONG road from 545 lbs but hun, I know if I could survive all this YOU CAN TOO!

In the blog I wrote today I talk a little about how I personally believe your mental health is just as important as the calories and exercise in the quest for weight loss and health, you don't beat yourself up luv, you PULL yourself up and until you are ready to do that, that is why we are here! Drop a line ANYTIME you need a pep, or to vent or whatever.

P.S. - I took horseback riding lessons at 375 lbs, it was Clydesdale so that it could handle me, but I'm just saying YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT - you reach for the sky and we will give you a boost. :-)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it takes time to go from a size 20 to your goal 12...but it is worth the time and effort involved. If you keep working at it, no matter where you are in a few months, you will see such an improvement in how you feel and look it will encourage you to keep going. I went from 22 to 10/12 in about 15 months but I feel so much better and am more active now. Worth it! Now I keep tabs on any weight gain and lose it again so I don't end up where I was before.
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 24 to a 12 in 8.5 months, lost 86 pounds. It can be done. It can also be undone, as evidenced by my ticker. Keep fighting the good fight, even when you get there. It is too easy to get comfortable and just coast along, and not notice packing it back on again. I always swore I wouldn't let it happen, but I did. :-( So I am back at it again. sitting at a size 14 right now. hoping for a 12 (or even 10!) by July.

good luck, friend me if ya wanna!
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    To quote Yoda's line: “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” Success in any endeavor comes from commitment to doing, not from "trying". Those who "try" to (fill in the blank...lose weight, exercise more, live a healthy life style, learn a new language, get into grad school, and on and on") will stop "trying" at any roadblock or setback. Those who are committed to "doing" will overcome every obstacle and achieve their goal.

If you are committed to reaching a size 12 you WILL DO IT. And everyone here will applaud your journey and your success.
  • cnm4life11
    Options
    I'll definitely be your weight loss buddy. I'm a 16-18 even being a size 12 again will make me feel so much better. But hoping to be a size 8
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to your friends list, but I am also part of a group of ladies that all support each other with exercise and nutrition challenges and check-ins. Accountability groups are great. Most of us have started about where you are with a variety of ages and backgrounds. We keep the group small so we can all get to know each other. We are starting a "Spring Fling Minutes or Miles Challenge" to go from April 1st to May 31st. If you are interested in meeting us, message me and I will send you an invite. As many folks have already said, it is about lifestyle change. Hopefully you will internalize that here at MFP and you will be on the road to healthy choices for healthy changes!
  • cbeevs
    cbeevs Posts: 41
    Options
    It is hard when you get to the end of the pregnancy! You get no sleep and cannot tie your shoes or do most of your usual things in the usual way. It sounds like you have a great way to get the with off when you can. Congratulations!

Starting today, I am going to check my waist and hip measurement, and eat fruits and vegetables (see u-tube video, "fat sick and Nearly Dead") and morning coffee. I regularly garden so I will shovel for at least 15 minutes and walk hills for at least 15 minutes. I will use a timer to stay on track. Good to have your encouragement.

March 31 2014 44 45 49
  • cbeevs
    Options
    Wow!!! 66 lbs is no small feat. thanks for the encouragement.

Starting today, I am going to check my waist and hip measurement, and eat fruits and vegetables (see u-tube video, "fat sick and Nearly Dead") and morning coffee. I regularly garden so I will shovel for at least 15 minutes and walk hills for at least 15 minutes. I will use a timer to stay on track. Good to have your encouragement.

March 31 2014 44 45 49
  • 17newme
    17newme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im just starting on my weight loss journey and I was just wondering how you started to eat healthy? that is my biggest problem and whats holding me back from reaching my goal.
  • cbeevs
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

March 31 2014 44 45 49
  • cbeevs
    Options
    Great inspiration. thanks for the encouragement. Zip lining was in the distant past for me. we heavy people have a sense of adventure, don't we?

March 31 2014 44 45 49
  • cbeevs
    Options
    You are awesome!!! Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

March 31 2014 44 45 49
  • cbeevs
    Options
    Thanks! here is my plan:

March 31 2014 44 45 49
  • cbeevs
    Options
    Thanks. Push ups are a good thing too. :)

Here is the start:

March 31 2014 44 45 49