Anyone giving up something for lent?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Tomtomtomfitz
    Tomtomtomfitz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    after a buddy was recently in a car accident, decided to try to only drive the speed limit for lent. Tougher than I thought it would be, but I'm getting the hang of it. Might be helping me relax a little, too...
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I stopped smoking yesterday. I never gave it up for Lent. I gave up for myself...forever! :)
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It turns out I am giving up 'calories' for Lent...... reason being, I recently adjusted my goals and workouts on MFP and to my irritation it told me I now have LESS calories to play with each day! <sigh> Means I now have to get my lazy butt to work out more each week in order to be able to eat more. Oh well.. onwards and downwards, as they say. Hope you all are having a good week :flowerforyou:
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol, it's easier than I thought it would be!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Me and my hubby added a daily devotional. That is going well. But, the big ticket item for me this lent is Acts 17:28 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' moving more. I am giving up lazinessssssss. < Many s's denote I have been very lazy.

So far, this has been a life changer. I am pretty sure my angel is pushing, and pulling me into the upright position. This probably seems small for other people, but it is huge to me.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking yesterday. I never gave it up for Lent. I gave up for myself...forever! :)

Good for you if you need support reach out, I went cold turkey last July 27th, feel way better in general and the cravings are pretty much long gone (I get the occasional twinge for one, but then again my 85 year old father who quit in 1975 still gets the urge occasionally - funny thing brain chemistry is)
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I made the decision to give up negativity for Lent. I struggle with anxiety and tend to worry way too much-- most of that stems from always assuming the worst in every situation. I've had to force myself to be more positive a lot already, and in situations where people's actions upset me I have found that stopping to think how they must feel and where they are coming from is a quick way to chill. It's been tough in some instances but I am happier over all and Life is so much nicer when you aren't constantly stressed about a million things at once.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    after a buddy was recently in a car accident, decided to try to only drive the speed limit for lent. Tougher than I thought it would be, but I'm getting the hang of it. Might be helping me relax a little, too...

AWESOME!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I gave up popcorn. My sister laughed because I air pop it so it's a healthy treat - and forego butter and oil etc. However, I normally eat it 3-4 days a week. It's been tough, especially when I see the popcorn seasonings in the cupboard...

I also gave up drinking wine alone. I used to sit home and enjoy a glass or two of wine on the nights my husband was out bowling and it was my "me" thing to do.

They haven't been too hard yet but they have been good reminders to me for why I am doing it in the first place!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Gluttony.
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How are people getting on? I'm still going strong!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol, it's easier than I thought it would be!

Me too! Of course, being pregnant makes that incredibly easy lol. I also gave up work a couple of weeks ago :laugh:
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gave up chocolate and alcohol - still going strong!
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Gave up baked goods and candy and still going strong. Also haven't had a diet coke since Ash Wed. I had a stomach bug and couldn't tolerate it. After 30 years of drinking the stuff, I am done with it and feeling really good. Baked goods I could never give up forever.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I gave up men for lent.

hahahahah
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up Ritz crackers for lent. I have ripping through boxes of those so I really need to give that up.
  • AnitaBevan14
    Options
    Hello, I have tried to give up chocolate and alcohol for Lent. I am fine with the alcohol as I am generally the designated driver when we go out but the chocolate... Well that is another matter. I now know what my downfall really is. I have a sweet tooth and love chocolate. Now today (Mother's Day) I have been brought a lovely big box of Chocolates from my well meaning son who does not live at home. What to do?? Help....
  • MerriMint
    Options
    I gave up alcohol for Lent which I thought would help to launch me into rapid weight loss. After 2.5 weeks of no alcohol and eating well (so I thought) and only losing 2 lbs., I set up a MyFitnessPal account to start tracking my food/calories. Signed up on March 23rd and have lost 5 lbs so far. I had planned on having a mimosa brunch asap once Lent was over (the morning of 4/18 - grin), but I don't want to undo my progress. So I may incorporate a light beer or two into certain days -- but now that I'm tracking, I'll see the impact of those calories and if I have room to accommodate a cold one every now and then. :)
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Options
    I gave up alcohol
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Vegan for Lent. It's an Orthodox thing! Never want it to be a stumbling block for others though. We are all going out with the wife's Baptist parents tonight and they want to go to the pizza joint. So when the Mrs asked me if I planned on eating pizza tonight, this is what I sent her:

uWqKkmv.gif

It's not a law, so it's best that I eat pizza if I go to the pizza place! Must...stay...below...daily...calorie...count.