Super sleepy after meals

Options
2»

Replies

• jeannevdl
    jeannevdl Posts: 33
    Options
    And it is important to consult your doctor or pharmacist about chromium if you want to use it, since too much chromium in your system may have side effects.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Why do you think some European countries have siesta after lunch, the largest meal of the day? Because they're sleepy! It's why wolves, lions, etc. sleep for hours after a big kill.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    But this started a month ago and it does not matter what I eat. I'm so sleepy that I have to take a nap. When we had BK the other night, that's the first time in a long time that I had it. Same with the pizza. I just started keeping track on here again so it looks bad in the diary lol.
    I looked at about a month of your diary and it's completely empty.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? If it started a month ago and you are eating the same as you always have, then the internet is not the correct place to get advice.

Please go to your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Why do you think some European countries have siesta after lunch, the largest meal of the day? Because they're sleepy! It's why wolves, lions, etc. sleep for hours after a big kill.
    No, it is not normal to feel so tired you want to close your eyes after eating a large meal. That's a sign that something is going on.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No, it is not normal to feel so tired you want to close your eyes after eating a large meal. That's a sign that something is going on.

i second that.. i used to think the same, that its normal to feel tired after a meal, it not and i believe people have siesta in some countries because its too hot to work at that time of the day???? i could be wrong, someone might be able to clarify lol.
  • jmcohen87
    Options
    You're getting tired from inflammation and glucose.
    http://selfhacked.com/2014/04/13/people-get-tired-even-enough-sleep/
  • annajazz11
    annajazz11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Feeling sleepy after eating can indicate onset of diabetes.

But it can also be a symptom of gluten intolerance if you always feel it after eating wheat. Try eating a few meals without wheat to do a quick check if its gluten related or not.
    For the other, you should go to the doctor to get a blood test.
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just use Occam's Razor here. Most people actually aren't gluten intolerant, and carbohydrate overload is far more likely. If the doctor has already told you that it's a prediabetic recommendations, go with his or her recommendations.

Don't cut out gluten unless you are absolutely sure you have Celiac's Disease. Otherwise, you are just raising the price of these foods for the people who actually *do* need them.
  • pratro
    pratro Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok - So I have been suffering from this for a while. I get super super sleepy and fatigued as soon as I eat anything. It was debilitating and I pretty much stopped having most foods.

Doctors do not have the answer. Everyone says its normal. Its not.

I won't stretch this out. For me the solution is Digestive Enzymes. Go get them, eat a capsule with a meal and it will digest your food.

I hope this helps.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe your eating too many carb heavy foods, especially only once a day.

You need to get lots of protein, veggies, fruit & water into your diet.

One meal a day, and if its carb loaded... Of course that will knock you out.

Your probably lacking in some iron/vitamins/minerals.

Maybe try & take a good multivitamin to boost your system??

Maybe got to the doctors & get a blood test. Check your thyroid glands etc
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    it sounds like insulin spikes. Look into low GI diets or diabetic diets and try that for a while. Also, if you haven't already, go to the doctor and have an oral glucose tolerance test run.
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor and get your blood sugars checked .
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Last post by OP was November 23, 2012 6:21 PM ... think we can let this zombie go back to sleep?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    The number one reason people are sleepy in the afternoon:

They aren't getting enough sleep at night. This would include sleep apnea issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The number one reason people are sleepy in the afternoon:

They aren't getting enough sleep at night. This would include sleep apnea issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I've also heard you get sleepy because of WHAT you eat, if it's a sandwich with too many carbs, etc. Any truth to that?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Diabetes/high blood sugars will cause you to feel sleepy after eating a lot of carbs