Hard to diet in a house with non-dieters

Options
What is the trick to keeping your mind off food when your family wants to know "Where is the chips and dip"?Well that's just an example of what Im getting at.

Replies

• SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Remember that what you put into your body is your choice, not theirs. Tomorrow morning you'll be closer to your goal and be a happier, healthier woman and they will continue to gain or be where they're at. The longer you do it and the more results you show while having fun with food, the more apt they'll be to eat like you (as long as you aren't being ultra restrictive). And remember, you can have chips and dip too. :)
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Know that even though its hard living with a bunch of people who enjoy whatever they'd like to (been there!)...its even harder to continue feeling miserable and unhealthy for years to come. I've gotten enough grief from others to know that their opinion on my eating habits don't matter one bit. And also, don't restrict yourself too much. I always see the most success when I treat myself to certain foods within a reasonable portion size.
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    If you think you're not strong enough to not eat the "hips and dip" when you're family is treating themselves, why not fill yourself with water or foods that are high on fiber instead? It might help...
  • CSWalker1234
    CSWalker1234 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.I think you are so right about their loss my gain. Well lets hope not weight gain.I did try a new yogurt dip called Jalapeno & Salsa Oikos Dip by Dannon that is pretty good with baked sun chips.
  • CSWalker1234
    Options
    Hips and Dips is about right . I do need to drink more water.I used to drink a lot of diet coke and haven't had a soda in a month since I started with My Fitness Pal.I once in a while put some of that Mio stuff in my water but it's probably not good for me,like everything else that I like.
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This may sound rough, but if it isn't good for you, it isn't good for them! I don't know if you read labels on things but it can be very helpful in finding slightly healthier versions. Or consider making your own version.

My husband was big on accidental sabotage... he loves ice cream and popcorn (not together!) and until I asked him if he could eat those elsewhere like at work or something, he didn't know it was hard for me to be around. We are at a point now where we don't keep things like that in the house and if they want it they go get a single serve version. My willpower is 0 so I can't have treats in the house. :( Maybe one day! Best wishes!
  • CSWalker1234
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words.It is kind of a ritual to every Friday go to the bar down the street and have Pizza and Beer.I think my husband lives for this night and so I try to just have 2 Miller lights and 2 slices of thin crust and then go to water.I used to eat half a medium pizza and have about 6 beers. Change is hard but it is overdue.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you got to want it hard enough. My husband always has snacks after dinner, my kids are always asking for ice cream (and they're both skinny so I can't say no)... you got to learn to deal, lol.
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words.It is kind of a ritual to every Friday go to the bar down the street and have Pizza and Beer.I think my husband lives for this night and so I try to just have 2 Miller lights and 2 slices of thin crust and then go to water.I used to eat half a medium pizza and have about 6 beers. Change is hard but it is overdue.

I'd say your progress on Pizza night is worth celebrating! That is wonderful!!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'd reply, "I don't know. I'm choosing not to eat crap like that anymore. I'd guess they're on a shelf at the grocery store."

I'd also keep a lot of snacks that are healthy, tasty and low calorie around so I wouldn't be tempted if someone were to venture to the grocery store to by chips and dip.

I am by far the healthiest eater in my house. My husband and I both buy groceries, so there is often junk food in my pantry and fridge. My only rule is that cookies, chips and the like not be left out on the counter in plain sight, because I have a hard time not eating it when I see it, but it's certainly okay if others in my house eat junk. They're not overweight and don't watch what they eat like I do.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Dang! Double post.
  • wantintolose40
    wantintolose40 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. But you are making some smarter choices and that is what a lifestyle change is all about. Don't deny yourself or it will backfire. Keep up the good work and we are all her to support each other! I sent friend request :)
  • CSWalker1234
    Options
    I will have to try that with my husband.My kids are are grown and so it is just my husband and I at home(and the dog) , now I know how the dog feels watching us eat. Willpower is the key. Its funny how loud it sounds when someone is snacking in the same room. You have to laugh and keep moving forward.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There will always be temptations, whether it's from family members, co-workers or friends. But at the end of the day it's our resilience we have to work on - to control our portions and the stuff we put in our mouth. Having a "shielding" environment with no chips and chocolate around sure can help with the diet, but doesn't help with building the strength to keep that weight off in the long run. Look at it as a challenge worth taking on:)
  • CSWalker1234
    Options
    I do think it gets easier the longer you are away from bad eating habits.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I never really gave up much on my healthy journey. Most of the time I had the portion size that was indicated on the label, and I counted it in my meal planning. Some things I did without for awhile like Potato chips, and tortilla chips. My husband's junk food is kept downstairs, which is where he hangs out. I'm the upstairs dweller. I find that if its not in my space I don't go looking for it.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What is the trick to keeping your mind off food when your family wants to know "Where is the chips and dip"?Well that's just an example of what Im getting at.

Chips, as in Fish n Chips, is our staple food in UK. It's usually eaten on a Friday :)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you got to want it hard enough. My husband always has snacks after dinner, my kids are always asking for ice cream (and they're both skinny so I can't say no)... you got to learn to deal, lol.

This.. lol

My 18 yr old is slim and trim and right now has an entire apple pie and ice cream in the fridge... my favorite by the way. lol

She always has junk and take out but I have learned to be self-disciplined. If I want to eat some take out or whatever I do. I am consistent enough most days that I can afford to eat something I really want.

So if you are consistent most days, most meals, and self-disciplined when you crave that favorite takeout, chips and dip, beer or drinks or whatever you can have it without feeling like you are going to sabotage your progress or feel guilty.
  • CSWalker1234
    Options
    I need to frame what you just wrote and put it on my wall in the kitchen. Well said.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The trick is to allow yourself to have "chips and dip" within your calorie budget. It may sound unhealthy but it's healthier than sitting there envying people and feeling miserable. Diet only works long term when you detach the concept of "miserable and deprived" from the word diet. If you can't see yourself eating like you are eating now 10 years down the road, living in the real world, with real people and all the food choices, then what you are doing is likely to be too stressful to work long-term and you are likely to gain most if not all of the weight back.

The trick is to eat healthy MOST of the time, not all of the time.