Any College Students?? Help please!!!

Options
I am currently living on campus, I have already gained the additional TWENTY pounds to my high weight. UGGH So I just quit weight watchers because it wasnt working. Any tips for someone trying to figure all of this out while living on campus?

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm not a college student now - but have been one.

Tips for a college student.

1. WALK (or bike)- everything you need is pretty much on campus, you should be able to walk to class, walk to bookstore, library, student center - whatever. When you do walk - pick up the pace. Don't just leisurely get there - walk with a purpose, don't drive across campus - save the car for going off campus (groceries).

2. FOOD - Watch what you eat in the cafeteria and your room. Find the salad bar - toss the buns from your burger and hot dog and stay away from the ice cream machine! (OK that was my downfall -all you can eat ice cream)

3. Rec Center - most colleges have one - especially if they have a sports team. Usually membership is included in your student fees (my son pays $50 a year). The one locally has a full exercise facility, basketball courts, indoor tennis, a walking/jogging track, pool, and weights and all the cardio equip you could want. They also have classes (yoga, zumba, etc.) that are usually taught by students taking fitness type majors.
  • Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Meal plans are terrible! I went through the same thing last semester. Knowing my self control isn't exactly as strong as steel, I realized I had to lock myself into a healthy commitment. For some reason when I tell a lot of people I'm only eating certain things is the only way I'll actually stick to something seriously. So I decided to do the Standard Process Purification program, which I used to do annually, and told all my friends/family/roommate. It's basically just fruit and vegetable dishes, with one cup of brown/wild rice or lentils (which I had to cook myself) a day, and blending up smoothies in the dorm twice a day. In three weeks I was back to normal eating habits.

I'm lucky to go to a school with a lot of vegan and organic options available, but I realize that's not always the case. Basically just pick a diet that will eliminate unnatural sugars and minimize processed food for a few weeks. The goal is just to kill the cravings for the junk food, which starts happening pretty quickly if you stick to something seriously. I think next year I'm going to get the smallest meal plan possible, and just cook up healthy stuff over the weekend to eat during the week.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Students arent a special case. Like anybody else, you need to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Do you eat most of your food on campus? Well ... you shouldn't expect to lose quickly if you do. Those cafeteria's suck.
    Do you drink alcohol? You will need to factor drinks into your calorie goal.

I'd do .5lb a week loss so that you can be realistic. I know when I was in college, eating a low calorie diet was hard.

Every campus has a fitness center, and it is FREE! Use it to burn additional calories.

Since you more than likely won't weigh all your foods, you need to be smart about your portion sizes and give yourself wiggle room in your calories.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I commute :/ I pack my lunch every day, and I don't have a mealplan. I wish I could help...if you have a fridge, maybe set up a weekly grocery trip for fruits and veggies and yogurts.
  • glamsam8
    glamsam8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have a convenience store on campus that I can stock up at, most of it is over-priced, but it's abetter option. The only cafeteria we have with healthy food options doesn't work with my class schedule. I coupon for a lot of healthy snacks and stuff, checking the weekly ads for sales on food that I want/need near me. I usually just try to eat balanced, and use the options of making things rather than the pre-made food they have available.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Also a college student, and a First Time, single mom. I work out about 3xs a week for an hour and a half. I go to my colleges fitness center. My school even has a class you can take for 1 credit, and it grades you on consistency, so you have to go or fail the class. Awesome motivator.

Also, watching what you're eating is a huge thing. Living off ramen and mac and cheese is feasiable at a college level, but you won't feel very good doing. If you do some googling, you can usually find some web pages that show the "you can buy this for $20 dollars or you can buy that" with junk vs. fresh healthy food. I'm sure not all the numbers are accurate, but it helped me. If you're on a food plan, see if they have a salad bar, or try to limit either you're grains or meat, thats where most of the calories come from. And id recommended getting off a meal plan if you're on one as soon as poosible.

Also if you're in the States, as long as you have a job that's 20hrs a week or more +college you can get food stamps.

Like some have said, walking will help greatly. If you can. I know some "on campus" is actually like a mile away sometimes. Also looking into maybe some youtube workouts or workout videos that you could do in you're dorm.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Every campus has a fitness center, and it is FREE! Use it to burn additional calories.

Not true. There have been plenty of colleges and tech schools I've seen where they do not have a fitness center.
    and I have yet to see one that's free. Mine charges 30 a semester, not including a locker. I believe one respondant of this thread mentioned their is 50.

Whereever you are, never move, because you're apparently very lucky.
  • pavenewpaths
    Options
    I'm starting college this upcoming semester and I'm taking extra precautions because I know just how difficult it can get. Here's my plan:

1. Pack lunch! Every night, or every Sunday, pack your meal for the next day/week. Healthy snacks that'll keep you satisfied.
    2. Avooooid the late night binges! Have a protein heavy dinner and leave about 200 calories for snacks you'll inevitably consume while studying if you're up late. Preferably make sure you also pre plan those snacks.
    3. NO junk should be easily accessible from your house/dorm. Just don't buy it.
    4. Walk everywhere. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. After your done with your classes, take a stroll around campus.
    5. If the opportunity presents itself, take full advantage of your campus gym/fitness center.
  • joeyca4
    joeyca4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a Sophomore in college and I definitely know the struggles that come with trying to lose weight while living on campus.
    I'll try to start with some positives though. My freshman year I actually lost 10lbs due to just becoming much more active. I didn't watch my diet at all but walking everywhere(My school is on a mountain. VERY hilly) and just generally being more active really helped. Like others have said try to walk as much as you can, join an intramural sport, or go the gym! Fitness wise, I find college to be a great motivator as there are thousands of other kids running around and being active.
    Diet is an issue all in itself. My cafeteria has barely anything healthy and the temptation to eat junk can sometimes be unbearable.
    -For Breakfast I try to eat in my room. Usually a protein shake or cereal. Anything to stay away from the bagel and doughnuts in the caf.
    -For lunch I try to make a beeline for the salad bar. I know this isn't always easy but If I even look at the other options I know I'll end up picking something unhealthy.
    -Dinner is a bit easier for me. The options seem a bit more wholesome in my opinion. I'll usually get two sides of veggies and chicken breast. Sometimes I'll get a wrap or even something not super healthy. Try not to stress about it much.
    -I'd advise you to not keep snacks in the room. If you must snack on something try something healthy like string cheese or your favorite veggie or fruit.
    Everyone around you will be eating cookies and chips and to me that it the biggest temptation. Sometimes I give in. But I try hard to restrain myself. I usually never get sweets or chips during my meal times because with my luck my roommates will be devouring a cookie cake once i get back to our room so in the event that I slip up, i'm covered.

Just try your best. Everyday is a new day! Today I had a box of girl scout cookies. I know...
    But I'm not giving up. You shouldn't either!
    Also a tip,
    your dining hall may have a website that lists nutritional facts. utilize that!
  • j34lr
    j34lr Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm currently a freshman and this year has been the ultimate struggle. I watch all of my friends eat whatever they like and I have to watch every calorie, it sucks. Honestly, just stay away from the things that'll tempt you. If you look hard enough, there's things that you can combine to make tasty meals. Try making your own salad and topping it with cottage cheese or guacamole. Maybe even tuna fish? Not sure if that's such a good idea tho...haha... I generally say to have what you want within moderation and portion control, but try and stay away from the unnecessarily fried foods.. if you want steamed veggies, get some of the fresh ones and put them in a bowl with water and pop them in the microwave.

If you've put on weight, making dietary changes will definitely help you start to see some of that weight fall off. But don't just go cold turkey in cutting out all the crap you've likely been eating. That'll just lead to binging. Start small, make a few changes, control your portions and slowly start to change things once you've become comfortable with what you've already changed.

I find that doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS really helped me to lose weight and get tighter while running at the gym a few days a week. You can do it in your dorm room and it really doesn't take long at all.

Walk around more, get up, get involved, but just remember to go easy on yourself. Don't start overrestricting yourself to lose that weight because I promise you that just leads to a path no one wants to go down.

Good luck! :)