Flatter Stomach?

Options
Hi,

I have lost 10lbs so far (since 26th Feb 2014) - however my stomach (around my belly-button) measurement has only decreased by 0.5inch. I was wondering if I should expect this until my weight decreases more, or if there are any particular exercises I could do to help. I would be looking for low-impact exercise really, but any advice is more than welcome (current main exercise is walking).

Below is my information:
Height: 5ft 6
Starting Weight: 10st 4lbs
Current Weight: 9st 8lbs
Goal Weight: 8st 7lbs

Bust: 35inch
Waist: 26.5inch
Stomach: 32.5inch
Hips: 39inch

I am eating around 900 cals per day, however my exercise varies between 100 and 600 cals burned.

Thank you

Replies

• j34lr
    j34lr Posts: 32
    Options
    First off, you can't spot reduce. The weight'll come off wherever it wants and yeah that sucks but be patient and keep at it and you'll get the results you want.

Second....900 calories?!?!?! That sounds terribly low to me. You should never go under 1200 net calories, and if you're burning 600 calories that means you're only eating 300 calories some days! :noway: You should try and up your calorie intake, when I did, I got better results. You have to fuel your body and give it what it needs so that your metabolism doesn't screw itself up.
  • creativechick22
    Options
    First off, you can't spot reduce. The weight'll come off wherever it wants and yeah that sucks but be patient and keep at it and you'll get the results you want.

Second....900 calories?!?!?! That sounds terribly low to me. You should never go under 1200 net calories, and if you're burning 600 calories that means you're only eating 300 calories some days! :noway: You should try and up your calorie intake, when I did, I got better results. You have to fuel your body and give it what it needs so that your metabolism doesn't screw itself up.

I am losing between 1lb and 1.5lbs per week, which is healthy. I am also eating 2 fruit and at least 2 veg per day (to ensure I get what I need), as well as porridge in the morning. I feel fine, other than the fact that my period is over a week late (and def not pregnant) - presuming it is due to the weight loss. My average work-out is 200cal loss. Once I hit my target weight, I am going to gradually increase my net calories, and see what my body will need to maintain my goal weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I am eating around 900 cals per day, however my exercise varies between 100 and 600 cals burned.
    Doing it very, very wrong. Why are you eating so low? This is not healthy at all, way fewer calories than your body needs. I'm not surprised your period is late, you're seriously messing with your hormone function. You also risk losing a lot of lean mass (including muscle) which is highly unlikely to give you the look you're after. It will also be so, so much harder to maintain your weight loss long term.
  • j34lr
    j34lr Posts: 32
    Options

Doing it very, very wrong. Why are you eating so low? This is not healthy at all, way fewer calories than your body needs. I'm not surprised your period is late, you're seriously messing with your hormone function. You also risk losing a lot of lean mass (including muscle) which is highly unlikely to give you the look you're after. It will also be so, so much harder to maintain your weight loss long term.

Agree with this ^ 100%. You'll put all the weight back on if you do it like this.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    the reason you're not losing inches is because you're not losing fat. the highest percentage of what you'll be losing is lean mass because no matter what bull you give yourself about eating fruit and veggies keeping you healthy, you can't be healthy and your body can't function how it should on 900 calories. if this amount of food seems right for you or you're scared about raising it, i'd think about asking a doctor about maybe being checked for an eating disorder. your fairly low goal weight rings bells as well, considering the fact your weight is healthy now
  • meglizbo
    meglizbo Posts: 42
    Options
    You are literally killing your metabolism. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but your body will run as efficiently as possible on what you give it. When you try to add back in calories you will probably "gian" weight. That weight is called muscle.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Agree with this ^ 100%. You'll put all the weight back on if you do it like this.

This is true. Trust me, it took me almost seven months to recover from the hormonal mess a VLCD did. Now I can maintain on almost three times what you take in. You're not eating anywhere near enough.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I'm losing weight by eating 1,600 calories and I managed to get a flat stomach. I work out like 2X a week only. You're going to have a tougher time with only 900 calories cause your body won't be willing to burn fat that it needs to survive.
  • dacricket
    Options
    creativechick - I'm not going to pile on, I'm just going to say, if you don't believe what everyone here is telling you, talk to a Doctor or do your own research.

You can start here:

http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/acsm-in-the-news/2011/08/01/metabolism-is-modifiable-with-the-right-lifestyle-changes

Which ever you do please, please educate yourself before your move forward. Don't do your body more harm than good.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1. What everyone else said. x100 2) After you get your cals/ macros in order (see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide), I would suggest pilates. Although it can't spot "reduce", meaning it won't decrease the amount of fat in one particular area, it will tone and increase lean muscle so you will be able to see definition. Also, it's really fun ^_^
  • creativechick22
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback - what amount of calories would you recommend I eat per day? 1200 as MFP says you should not go below?? I want to lose weight at a good pace, but obviously don't want to mess up my body / metabolism.

& should I then eat any calories I burn from exercise too, or is 1200 cals per day enough as well as burning lets say 300 cals per day (walking). Would not eating the calories I have burnt from exercise be healthy?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You are eating way way to low. You are going to lose muscle in addition to fat most likely especially if you are not weight training as part of your exercise. If you lose muscle you will see exactly what you have stated is happening, a loss in weight without a loss in inches (meaning you are losing just as much muscle as fat).

That is exactly the opposite of what you want. Do not obsess over your scale weight try to focus on losing just the fat. This means eating a lot more than you are currently eating and adding some weight lifting or resistance training to your routines.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Oh and by "eat more" I mean literally twice as much as you are eating now. If you are burning the amount you are claiming to burn exercising then seems to me like you should be eating more like 1800 calories a day, certainly not 900 that is just starving yourself.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback - what amount of calories would you recommend I eat per day? 1200 as MFP says you should not go below?? I want to lose weight at a good pace, but obviously don't want to mess up my body / metabolism.

& should I then eat any calories I burn from exercise too, or is 1200 cals per day enough as well as burning lets say 300 cals per day (walking). Would not eating the calories I have burnt from exercise be healthy?

You need to calculate your TDEE (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/), subtract 20% (and no more) from that number, and eat that many calories a day. You can manually change your goals in MFP. If you insist on using MFP's 1200 calorie limit, then YES, eat ALL of your exercise calories back (provided they are accurate). 1200 would be your NET goal, not gross. I strongly suggest the TDEE method, though, because I think MFP's is too low. MFP recommended I eat 1200 calories per day, too, but my TDEE - 20% is 1400, which is what I eat and I'm losing.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    my period is over a week late (and def not pregnant) - presuming it is due to the weight loss.

That is not a symptom of weight loss, that's a symptom of being underweight. If it's not normal for you to have a late period, and you're definitely not pregnant, then there's something wrong.
  • WayfarerHWM
    Options
    Go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

Read that.

I'm losing and eating 1800 calories a day.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Number 1: Eat more - you aren't doing yourself any favours. I've lost exactly the same amount of weight as you over a slightly longer period eating minimum around 1200 net cal per day but also lost almost three inches off my waistline. I also did no exercise other than walking, you really aren't doing your metabolism any favours. Let MFP work out the numbers for you based upon your current stats and importantly eat back at least some of your exercise calories! It's fine to enjoy food whilst dieting, enjoy variation and don't starve yourself.

Number 2. Yoga, every day for 15 minutes or so. I've been getting into this routine over the last week and I've lost another half inch despite having upped my calories again. Excellent for full body toning, its low impact and so calming.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I am losing between 1lb and 1.5lbs per week, which is healthy. I am also eating 2 fruit and at least 2 veg per day (to ensure I get what I need), as well as porridge in the morning. I feel fine, other than the fact that my period is over a week late (and def not pregnant) - presuming it is due to the weight loss. My average work-out is 200cal loss. Once I hit my target weight, I am going to gradually increase my net calories, and see what my body will need to maintain my goal weight.

I hate to tell you this but your body will adapt to the 900 calories a day and when you start eating normally (1200 to 1600 calories a day) you are gonna gain a lot of weight back and it will be harder to get your metabolism to believe your not starving your body, You need to eat at least bmr everyday.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Totally agree, way to few calories, your muscles are starving! Will be counterproductive