Extremely Thirsty since I started cutting

Options
Ok, I've been eating 1,400 calories a day not much exercise...

I've been eating clean... cut all of the fast food, all of the junk food, and all of the soda... which those were things I was addicted to and abused before.

My MFP diary probably sucks to others... but hey, It's clean eating and I am trying to transition my way into eating healthy for long term. I am easing raw fruits and veggies into my diet... because I am not a veggie person, but I will transition into a veggie GIRL soon. So if you happen to take a look at my diary please understand... more veggies and fruits will be added throughout the week.

BUT
I AM NOT PERFECT.... and I am still in transformation to switching over to the HEALTHY side of life. lol

Now, I have been extremely thirsty lately. I work 7 hours a day and sometimes more... but I still manage to log in my meals on MFP and eat the right things.

I just want to know, has anyone else ever experienced excessive thirst after starting their diet, or cutting?

I think I'm so worried about eating the right amount and eating at the right time... that I am forgetting to drink the proper amount of fluids. I'm not going to lie, 2 days ago... I drunk 1 bottle of water for the whole day because I was so busy at work and was only thinking about eating the right things. But since then, I've been drinking tons of water, gatorade and cranberry juice...

Is this normal? should I head to the DOC. Because I am so thirsty throughout the day. ??????? I shouldn't still be this thirsty after drinking fluids right.

Replies

• NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Have you started eating more prepared (frozen, canned, etc) foods? Sodium content will play a big role in thirst, or it does for me anyway. Some days I'm at or slightly above the goal but I feel better and am thirsty less when I stay around 1200mg/day, much lower than the suggested goal.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight and suffer from extreme thirst, please get tested for diabetes. It is a typical symptom.
  • bufflo
    bufflo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your healthy lifestyle. If you have a smart phone maybe there is a medicine reminder app that you could set up to remind you to take some fluids. That would allow you to keep your mind on your diet and eating times and not worry about how much fluids your are or aren't taking in. I keep a 54oz glass of water or unsweetened iced tea with me all day long. I know I get well over 64 oz of fluids a day.
  • FloJo9011
    FloJo9011 Posts: 43
    Options
    If you are overweight and suffer from extreme thirst, please get tested for diabetes. It is a typical symptom.

Thank you for the reply. That's a scary thing to think about it... but also something you HAVE to think about it for the well being of your health. However, I started 164 5'6... don't know if that's over weight for my height. I didn't feel like this before the calorie cutting.

So maybe it's me, and maybe I need to start drinking more water throughout the day.

:) But I will look into seeing a doc for the diabetes thing. :)
  • ERMOT
    ERMOT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm noticing two things. 1) You're so far under your calorie goal that you're likely not getting the nutrition + water content in your food that you need. You should at a minimum be consuming 1200 calories a day. If you're trying to lose at 1400, eat all 1400. And 2) you're not logging your water, so it's hard to know if your thirst is normal or not. I live in a dry climate and drink 10-12 glasses of water a day. The drier the day, the more I drink. I would suggest you start tracking your water intake more and see if there's any change in your thirst.

Good luck.
  • FloJo9011
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your healthy lifestyle. If you have a smart phone maybe there is a medicine reminder app that you could set up to remind you to take some fluids. That would allow you to keep your mind on your diet and eating times and not worry about how much fluids your are or aren't taking in. I keep a 54oz glass of water or unsweetened iced tea with me all day long. I know I get well over 64 oz of fluids a day.

Thank you so much for the tip. I will do this. Maybe it can keep me on track with my fluid intake.
  • FloJo9011
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm noticing two things. 1) You're so far under your calorie goal that you're likely not getting the nutrition + water content in your food that you need. You should at a minimum be consuming 1200 calories a day. If you're trying to lose at 1400, eat all 1400. And 2) you're not logging your water, so it's hard to know if your thirst is normal or not. I live in a dry climate and drink 10-12 glasses of water a day. The drier the day, the more I drink. I would suggest you start tracking your water intake more and see if there's any change in your thirst.

Good luck.

Thanks!! :) I wasn't done with today's diary... still have another snack/meal left. I am going to fulfill those... but I have been missing out on 300 calories on some days.. because I am afraid to go over the macros... but I think I am focusing and worrying about the wrong things here. I will get it together soon. :) ty :):)