124»

Replies

• kgrinholz
    kgrinholz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Walking outdoors, swimming and I love Leslie Sanson DVD's (did a two miler today actually). There are so many different durations available.
  • kgrinholz
    kgrinholz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First off, I want to cheer you on for making an effort to lose weight!! Yay! :) I think it's a very brave thing to do.

I am also obese and have always had difficulty losing weight and keeping it off. I completely agree with you. It is not only awkward, but also painful on your joints. I also have flat feet, so the extra weight adds pain to my feet. In the past, I've done exercise classes at a pool. Check around your area. There might be one at a local college or gym. It's called Aquatic Fitness. The pool reduces the pressure from your joints, and the water act as resistance. So the faster you move, the harder it is and the more calories you burn. You burn a lot of calories, while staying cool.

I just started this running program on my phone. It's based on the Couch to 5K program. The app is called Run Double. It's a 9 week program that builds your endurance. It starts out by running 60 sec intervals and then progressing to long time intervals and distances. You have the option of repeating the workout if you feel you are not ready for the next one. I'm on week 6 and I feel really awesome. It's 3 times a week, and really progresses slowly.

Also, definitely listen to your body. I once used a personal trainer, who had me do a lot of strenuous exercises. I ended up hurting my knee, and had to completely stop working out until it healed. It was a real bummer. Exercising a couple of times a week may not seem like much, but it actually really helpful. I used to workout 5xs a week thinking that was the only way to see results. I only ended up burning out within a few months.

I hope this is helpful. Keep it up! :smile:

I love the Run Double app! I started with couch to 5K years ago and have since used the Run Double app and use RunKeeper lots. Good luck! You never know what it will lead too. :) I've run I think 6 half marathons now and I'm running my first full in November! EEEK!

Congratulations!! That's amazing!! Thanks so much for the encouragement!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. They are on You Tube for free.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I liked Leslie too until I got tired of it and decided to just walk outside instead. Or found out that I can walk in front of my tv shows and it's slightly more interesting, lol.

I started with Slim in 6 though. Was awful at first but it helped in the long run, as it's more strength based.

I tried 30 day shred and it killed my knees though...
  • humptydumpty40
    Options
    I am older, decrepit, and obese. I use the wiifit and the elliptical. I have a bum leg or I would do the treadmill. :smile:
  • lovineyes
    lovineyes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can find leslie sansone, tai chi, or something else on youtube for free. i do the leslie sansone dvd's. but i got them before she was on youtube. good luck on your journey! i'll be walking with you in spirit.
  • VaughnEllis
    Options
    I found that I can build exercise into my day just by walking the long way around instead of talking the direct route. I know it isn't much, nonetheless every little bit helps.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I RELATE 100 PERCENT GO SLOW BUT "GO" WHAT EVER YOU CAN HANDLE DO EVERY DAY WHEN YOU FEEL YOU CAN DO A LITTLE MORE DO IT IF YOUR SORE TAKE A DAY OFF BUT DONT STOP RIGHT DOWN WHAT YOUR DOING SET GOALS SET LIMITS AND KEEP IT GOING BEFORE LONG YOU WILL BE STROGER AND THE PAIN WILL BE LESS AND LESS THE HARDEST STEP IS THE FIRST HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU FEEL FREE TO FRIEND ME IF YOU WANT SOME INCORGEMENT ALSO PLANT FITNESS IS A GREAT GYM FOR US "NO JUDGEMENT" THEME IS VERY TRUE THERE HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU PAIN FREE
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just walk outside. You'll love it.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started out doing DVDs that you sat in a chair to do. After doing them for awhile, I started walking my dog. Start out easy and let your body guide you on increases!
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! When i first started i could only last 5 minutes on the elliptical, and it was the most horrible experience ever! I literally thought i was dying and my entire body hurt, but not in a good hurt sort of way. If i ever over did it, i would quit, and it was extremely hard for me to start back up. I suggest water aerobics and walking to start. Even try to spend more time moving around.. Cleaning the house, running errands vs sitting on the couch. Do anything you really enjoy doing and stick with that. Eventually you will move on to other things you enjoy, but never force it :)
  • KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good on you for wanting to get started! I used to hate exercise when I was at my heaviest - everything hurt and I felt slow and stupid. Walking was the only cardio I could comfortably do.

Lifting weights, or even using bodyweight exercises, has worked for me. I've been at a calorie deficit for a while, and lifting weights has made me feel healthier. As I'm getting lighter and more compact, I'm now finding it easier to do some aerobic training too.

Good luck :-)