The Gym: Is it an escape or a job?

Options

Replies

• nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Escape! Even at 30 weeks pregnant I LOVE working out. I wish I had a treadmill and stuff at home, because I would never get off it. I love to move. And it rocks knowing that every time I exercise Im benefiting myself in more ways than one.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's a job. I hate working out. Blech.
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The gym is how I exercise without being propositioned for sex and drugs or attacked during my workout. I got a gym membership to escape my scary neighborhood.
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Always an escape when I'm lifting at home.

Escape if I'm at the gym and it's empty but...

Job if somebody's clogging up the power rack or leaving weights around everywhere so you never know what's being used and what isn't.
  • robinerikson
    Options
    For me, it's an escape. IMO, job is a stressful thing. Any jobs give you stress. I already have a job and I surely love it but I don't need another one. Hehe.
  • geauxspin
    geauxspin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The gym is my therapy! Even on days I'm not feeling it, I go anyway because I know when I'm done, I will walk out feeling fierce!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    GYM: An escape from Real life stress
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Escape. I pretty much never have time to myself, I live in a really full house (nuclear family) ... so working out, whether it's at the gym or in the basement, is always an escape.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My walks in the neighborhood? I love them. The gym? Not so much... so it's more a job, frankly. But during Summer break when the kids are home all the time? Definitely an escape :p
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It is a job for me. I don't really care for working out, lol. I don't get positive feelings either emotionally or physically. I don't go to a gym so there is no escape or social aspect. Just some lost sleep and a work out . To stay positive I remind myself that I am doing this for myself, that i am reaching goals I want, that it is a thing I'm choosing. I like losing weight and I will like a more fit body so it evens out. It is nice when I do something today that I couldn't do yesterday but I don't really care, lmao. I try to pump that aspect of it up in my mind though. I've just made up my mind that I'm going to do it for at least 12 months.

When I was younger I was more active with walks, hikes, and things of that nature - those things I enjoyed. I would enjoy them now too - I just have trouble finding time for stuff like that during the school year/winter. I do more of it in the summer and it is getting easier now that the kids are older. Walking with 5yo's is more about taking 5 steps and inspecting rocks and leaves for 5 minutes, taking 10 steps, checking out a puddle, going back to get the rock...etc. They still do that but I can leave them behind now and circle back around the block :P
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Escape. I pretty much never have time to myself, I live in a really full house (nuclear family) ... so working out, whether it's at the gym or in the basement, is always an escape.

Can't even read what you wrote, too in love with your profile pic and ticker
    I have a plushy Adipose for losing 2 stone :heart:
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it is a job to me

i mean i don't hate it but you gotta do what you gotta do

it is the routine I don't skip a day of work and I don't skip a day of workout
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    An escape from children, haha. It's a nice break and I'm helping to better myself.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Escape even though most days im running on the roads or up mtns. I do enjoy the gym.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    80% of it is therapeutic & helps me clear mu mind--The days I don't want to workoutbut after I get there-I get in the zone-i'm glad I started-
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's an escape, and I see friendly people I know. I'm hoping to get hired at a gym or at a place with a pool, when I get my lifeguard license, for the free membership, and to get to do group fitness classes/ and health coach stuff.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I look at the gym as a spa.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's my happy place.
  • GotShellica
    GotShellica Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Escape. I sometimes dread going but I'm always happy as soon as I get moving.

I do group interval training only - I joined a gym that offers small group training every hour on the hour. This, combined with cardio on my own, is what I really enjoy doing.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Definitely therapeutic and definitely an Elliott Hulse fan!!