Calores burnt when horseback riding?

Options
Today, I decided to grab a horse and go ride since it was super nice outside.
I went to the woods, and didn't even really follow a trail. It was pretty much up and down hills for three hours.

How many calories do you suppose I burned off? I understand completely it won't be a huge amount, the horse obviously got the most of the workout than I did! I'm just curious though.

If it helps, I am 5'6" and 117 lbs.

Replies

• xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Type in "riding" under cardiovascular exercise and many horse back riding options will pop up and you can log it for the day! :-D
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I often wonder this as well. I guess it depends on how much work you have to do. With one of the horses I'm learning dressage on, it takes a lot of work to keep him going as he is very stubborn and lazy and I am literally exhausted at the end of an hour with my thigh muscles like jelly. Another horse is much easier. I've thought of wearing my HRM for each lesson but haven't yet and haven't bothered adding those excersise calories.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oh I just saw this and it reminded me about my question of how many calories I burned riding in the car? I rode for like an hour and I stretched a couple of times and put my ear buds in. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    Oh I just saw this and it reminded me about my question of how many calories I burned riding in the car? I rode for like an hour and I stretched a couple of times and put my ear buds in. Anyone have any ideas?

^^ so couldn't help but laugh :)

I'm guessing it really depends though... I used to ride jumpers... I think it's more work than you'd expect ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I guess the horse burns a lot of calories.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I guess the horse burns a lot of calories.

Sitting on a horse while it doesn't do anything but walk a flat path isn't going to be much of a calorie burn for the rider.

But there is considerable activity involved in horse riding beyond that, especially in galloping and jumping. The rider controls the horse with their body....
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    In regard to calories burned in a car (forgot to quote)

Not enough info.

1 Is your car automatic or manual gear
    2 Did you manually tune the radio/insert a cd
    3 How many turns did you make, did you use your indicator for all of them
    4 Was it raining, did you manually turn your wipers on and off
    5 Was it dark did you use/dip/raise your headlights
    6 Did you suffer any road rage/make hand gestures at other road users etc etc
    7 How stiff is your gas pedal (this could be counted as resistance training)

There are a lot of things that can effect your calorie burn it is difficult to calculate calories without the correct information.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Regarding the sarcastic comments, thanks. Thanks a lot.
  • kleinepfoten
    Options

If you think controlling some lifeless steel for 45 minutes in the gym is tough, try controlling 1000 pounds of pure muscle and stubbornness for 180 minutes. And if you move the horse faster than a trot, you'll probably be squatting above the saddle rather than sitting in it.

When you don't know what you're talking about, don't comment.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just logged onto healthstatus.com and for a person weighing 140lbs at just walking pace on horseback it came up with 478 cals for 180 minutes.
    A little more than riding for 3 hours in a car I suspect.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!