How I lost 66.6 lbs and turned my life upside down...

Options
I’ve struggled with weight all my life. The common combination of inactivity and poor eating habits resulted 35% body fat and a very unhappy 27 year old.
In April 2012, I went to India for 3 weeks on a business trip. During the trip, a picture taken with some of the amazing people I met there was posted to Facebook. I knew I had gained weight but seeing this picture was the wakeup call I needed to stop wishing, hoping and planning to get into gear, lose weight and get fit. It was time to do it. A couple weeks after I got home, I discovered the app MyFitnessPal. This app and the supportive network of friends that came with it helped me track my calorie intake.
In the beginning, I started with the 1200 calories MyFitnessPall allotted and focused my attention on cardio. About a month in, I found the website eatmore2weighless.com This site and the two wonderful ladies that run it provided tools and knowledge I needed to not only lose weight or fat, but to transform my body and my life. I figured out my Total Daily Energy Expendeture, subtracted 15%-20% and got heavily into weightlifting, starting with the program in the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. After I finished that program, I moved on to Cathe Fredrich’s Shock Training System.
The much healthier combination of fierce determination, amazing and supportive friends, family and online fitness communities, my newly discovered love for weight lifting and strict attention to what I put into my body resulted in the loss of 66.6 pounds and more than 15% body fat.

50607653_1842.jpg
50607653_9553.jpg

Eating clean was hands down the hardest part for me but I knew it was the most important. Quest Bars helped me keep to my calorie and macro goals while satisfying my sweet tooth. They are a staple in my home and my reward for a day of healthy choices.

Currently I am trying to follow the methodology of LeanGains, inetermittent fasting and macro cycling. It's helping me continue to lean while keeping the precious lean mass and strength I've developed.

Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way that helped me succeed….
1. The scale is a dirty rotten liar and cannot be the only method of tracking progress. I learned to monitor progress by how clothes feel, my reflection, muscle definition, pictures and measurements, and not just by the reading on the scale.
2. Setting and sticking to a rigid pound goal didn’t work for me. I originally set my goal to 120 lbs but to get there, I would either need to fall into the low teens in BF% or sacrifice hard earned lean mass. Instead, I focused on a goal BF%.
3. I didn’t have to starve to lose fat. A reasonable calorie deficit is not only healthy for long term sustainable weight loss, but I felt fueled for my workouts and just as importantly, my recovery.
4. I just kept going. So many times my goals felt so far away, so difficult to reach. But every healthy choice, every workout was a step closer to where I wanted to be.

Replies

• shygirladventures
    shygirladventures Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow you look really fit! You should be very proud of what you accomplished and the determination it took to get there. I hope I can continue this journey for myself even though I have only lost 10 pounds. I always liked lifting weights and enjoyed that more than the treadmill. I also like the eliptical cause it doesnt hurt my knees.

How do you feel emotionally since losing at least 15% /66 pounds?

Is the world different?

:)
  • shygirladventures
    shygirladventures Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I reposted lol
  • Taylorxxlynne
    Taylorxxlynne Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow you look awesome! Thank you for your story, very inspirational! :) And love the advice! Thank you!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing!
  • hedpe70
    hedpe70 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Congrats on your transformation!
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation. Thanks for sharing your success story.
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow you look really fit! You should be very proud of what you accomplished and the determination it took to get there. I hope I can continue this journey for myself even though I have only lost 10 pounds. I always liked lifting weights and enjoyed that more than the treadmill. I also like the eliptical cause it doesnt hurt my knees.

How do you feel emotionally since losing at least 15% /66 pounds?

Is the world different?

:)

Thank you so much :) Honestly, I was not exactly prepared for the emotional side of losing the weight. The world is an entirely different place for me than it was two years ago. I"m still figuring things out. Keep at it. Congrats on your 10 lbs, you'll get where you want to be.
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    OP, you look fabulous. Thanks for sharing your story, it's inspirational.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job! You're very inspiring and encouraging!
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    OMG...what a difference:)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I just started heavy lifting so I'm a newbie to it but already I can tell a difference. Thanks for giving us some pointers. And, WOW, you look fabulous!
  • mazmol
    mazmol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled with weight all my life. The common combination of inactivity and poor eating habits resulted 35% body fat and a very unhappy 27 year old.
    In April 2012, I went to India for 3 weeks on a business trip. During the trip, a picture taken with some of the amazing people I met there was posted to Facebook. I knew I had gained weight but seeing this picture was the wakeup call I needed to stop wishing, hoping and planning to get into gear, lose weight and get fit. It was time to do it. A couple weeks after I got home, I discovered the app MyFitnessPal. This app and the supportive network of friends that came with it helped me track my calorie intake.
    In the beginning, I started with the 1200 calories MyFitnessPall allotted and focused my attention on cardio. About a month in, I found the website eatmore2weighless.com This site and the two wonderful ladies that run it provided tools and knowledge I needed to not only lose weight or fat, but to transform my body and my life. I figured out my Total Daily Energy Expendeture, subtracted 15%-20% and got heavily into weightlifting, starting with the program in the
    book New Rules of Lifting for Women. After I finished that program, I moved on to Cathe Fredrich’s Shock Training System.

The much healthier combination of fierce determination, amazing and supportive friends, family and online fitness communities, my newly discovered love for weight lifting and strict attention to what I put into my body resulted in the loss of 66.6 pounds and more than 15% body fat.

50607653_1842.jpg
    50607653_9553.jpg

Eating clean was hands down the hardest part for me but I knew it was the most important. Quest Bars helped me keep to my calorie and macro goals while satisfying my sweet tooth. They are a staple in my home and my reward for a day of healthy choices.

Currently I am trying to follow the methodology of LeanGains, inetermittent fasting and macro cycling. It's helping me continue to lean while keeping the precious lean mass and strength I've developed.

Here are a few things I’ve learned along the way that helped me succeed….
    1. The scale is a dirty rotten liar and cannot be the only method of tracking progress. I learned to monitor progress by how clothes feel, my reflection, muscle definition, pictures and measurements, and not just by the reading on the scale.
    2. Setting and sticking to a rigid pound goal didn’t work for me. I originally set my goal to 120 lbs but to get there, I would either need to fall into the low teens in BF% or sacrifice hard earned lean mass. Instead, I focused on a goal BF%.
    3. I didn’t have to starve to lose fat. A reasonable calorie deficit is not only healthy for long term sustainable weight loss, but I felt fueled for my workouts and just as importantly, my recovery.
    4. I just kept going. So many times my goals felt so far away, so difficult to reach. But every healthy choice, every workout was a step closer to where I wanted to be.

Wow - simply amazing a you look fantastic! Thanks for sharing
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone :)
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!! Job well done.
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Very impressed. You look to be in awesome shape. Great work.
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    How tall are you)
  • dacricket
    Options
    Totally not bookmarking this for inspiration or anything.

;)
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping you are feeling as great as you look :drinker:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Very very very inspirational:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!