Dreading a work pot luck. :(

Options
We are having a pot luck on Tuesday for March Birthdays. I am dreading it because I know it would be rude to bring my own lunch, and I am worrying about how to count my calories without being obvious. So far the only thing I saw that is semi healthy on the list is green beans. The main course is beef and noodles.

I know I am way over thinking this and I do have one cheat day a week, but am saving it for this weekend. I have been counting calories for over a year and normally wouldn't be bothered by this but I just started T25 and really want to stay on track. Anyone else dread these?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What are you bringing? Chomp on that. I doubt anyone cares or notices what you are eating or not eating.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I know but you cant quit living and there is always things going on. Moderation or maybe eat something before you go so you wont be so hungry. Maybe a protein bar.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Egh.

I forgot we were having a potluck at work Monday. ;-/
  • taters22
    taters22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am unfortunately on roll duty. I will probably just get super tiny portion and then have a banana and some veggies in my classroom when its over, but I am afraid if I have a little I wont be able to stop noodles are my downfall. lol
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Bring a big salad to share with some chicken in it. You can eat that. Nothing to dread.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If the rest of your week is consistent and you plan ahead then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to eat at the pot luck. Since you have the menu, try playing around with the tracking tool to see what will work for you. I don't do pot luck at work but I have a large family. At least once a month, it's someone's birthday or anniversary. I plan ahead as much as possible by searching menus online and playing around with the tracking tool. Another thing that works for me is adding more exercise and cutting my calories a bit for a few days before the big day.
  • brista128
    brista128 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess you have four options:

1) Bring your own lunch and eat that. If anyone offers you other stuff, say no thank you. If they push the issue (which normally people will not), just say "I'm choosing to make my health a priority so for right now, I'm not eating treats/etc." If you have any sort of allergy, health issue, etc., you can use that as a socially acceptable excuse, too.

2) Bring something to the potluck that fits your WOE. It sounds you were assigned something so that won't work in this case, unless you want to bring something extra to share.

3) Have "moderate" amounts of the potluck food and hope for the best.

Personally I can't do "moderation" with most things -- even if I put the correct portion on my plate, those kinds of foods often leave me with really bad cravings which lead to binges. So lately when I have had work things like that, I just eat my own lunch but I do eat with everybody else so I'm not being anti-social. Good luck!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess you have four options:

1) Bring your own lunch and eat that. If anyone offers you other stuff, say no thank you. If they push the issue (which normally people will not), just say "I'm choosing to make my health a priority so for right now, I'm not eating treats/etc." If you have any sort of allergy, health issue, etc., you can use that as a socially acceptable excuse, too.

2) Bring something to the potluck that fits your WOE. It sounds you were assigned something so that won't work in this case, unless you want to bring something extra to share.

3) Have "moderate" amounts of the potluck food and hope for the best.

Personally I can't do "moderation" with most things -- even if I put the correct portion on my plate, those kinds of foods often leave me with really bad cravings which lead to binges. So lately when I have had work things like that, I just eat my own lunch but I do eat with everybody else so I'm not being anti-social. Good luck!
    I adore your counting. :tongue:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you look at it this way:
    You are getting an awesome sample-what-you-want-buffet for the cost of whatever you bring to work.

Eat what you want, take reasonable portions, and don't worry! What's the point of living if you can't enjoy eating in a social setting?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already been said, if you have a chance you could eat a big healthy meal before you go so you won't be as tempted to get stuck in
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love potlucks. I don't eat much earlier in the day and when I get there I just eat what I want. I don't even pay attention. It's glorious. I had one on Thursday and I would guess I had at least 3000 calories but I do have a bit of a habit of over estimating, so that might be an exaggeration. All I know is I weight myself today (evening, after eating throughout the day and having several glasses of water and coffee) and I was only up about a pound from my last weigh in so I suspect that when I weigh myself tomorrow at my regular time in the morning before I've had anything, at worst, I'll be the same as the last weigh in, at best, I may have still lost some.
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have 2 cheat days this week.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh yes the pot luck at work.....we have them all the time as well.

I bring a large salad and some dressings every time! Okay one time it was a massive veggie tray! LOL, then I will nibble on their food and enjoy my salad or veggies...

No one notices or even cares what I eat...so all is good! :)

Blessings!