Do you guys "suck in" for pictures?

Options
lemonsnowdrop
lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
You know what I'm talking about. When the camera is aimed at you, you instinctively pull in your gut or flex what muscles you have. Question is, with progress pictures (as in weight loss), do you still suck in? Pull in the tummy, try to make it flat? I wonder how deceiving it is, or if it's actually a better thing to do. I feel like sucking in for pictures doesn't accurately represent my weight. Or maybe I just woke up at 4 AM and am thinking too hard. Or something.

Replies

• sharinganxphunk
    sharinganxphunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I take progress pictures I definitely don't suck in as I don't see the point in trying to look slimmer. I feel it would only be deceiving myself. I want to see an accurate picture of my fat in its natural state.

Of course when I'm out with friends having a picture taken I suck in all that I can :tongue:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No, I don't see the point. I want pictures of me to look like me.
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    it depends on the reason for the pic. If it's to show progress then you're right. It would be deceptive to make yourself look bigger in the before and smaller in the after.

But if you're just posing for a pic with friends or family then yea, make yourself look as good as you can!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I certainly stand in front of the mirror like that - or did. Now, thanks to a big rib cage it actually looks pretty silly, but is a nice display of how far I've come that there's now a concave sweep if I do
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't suck in but I do stand up straighter - I have pretty rubbish posture so when the camera goes up I sit up, shoulders back and that actually makes me look slimmer than if I'm hunched over!
  • OcotilloFire
    OcotilloFire Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Exactly what lawlorka said
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    For progress pics, unflexed and relaxed for one set, and flexed in another. I'm done losing weight and going through bulk/cut cycles to gain muscle, so that's why I'm taking one of both.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Not sucked in, but flexed and ab muscles contracted. Otherwise it's impossible to tell progress. A completely relaxed stomach will just reflect the time of day the pic was taken and current bloat levels + how much was recently eaten
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    No. But I'm very aware of my posture. If I see a camera aimed at me, I instantly go into 'proper posture' mode and stand up straight. That's just from years of childhood with my mom harping on me about slouching, though. Turns out, she was right.
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of the most memorable experiences of my life was attending a vocal workshop in NYC with my high school women's choir and being asked by the instructor (she was teaching us about proper form) how many of us spent the majority of our days "sucking it in" and seeing every person in the room raise her hand. That doesn't answer your question, but it's something to think about.

I take progress pictures both sucked in and not, and it's surprising how small the difference actually is. Of course, if I'm getting my photo taken I still suck in like my life depends on it. Plus, it's light ab work and good practice for pilates.
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    more concerned with my double chin ....one day i wont have to do either dammit
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When I take progress pictures I definitely don't suck in as I don't see the point in trying to look slimmer. I feel it would only be deceiving myself. I want to see an accurate picture of my fat in its natural state.

Of course when I'm out with friends having a picture taken I suck in all that I can :tongue:

This!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to suck in. Lol. I've always been really thin. I do try to stand up straight though.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do flex for progress pictures which does involve a little bit of "sucking in" in order to get the stomach muscles flexed. But good posture in general involves a bit of sucking in. But no, I don't suck in as hard as possible, that is deceiving (myself and others).
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Not for progress pics. The rest of the time I have a tendency to stretch, flex and strike goofy poses. :tongue:
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Along the same notes, you can look for clothes that flatter your figure. I call it "fake it till I make it". For example. If your trouble spot is belly, hips, etc, look for shirts/ dresses with all the "activity" such as flowers, pictures, up near the top near your neck. V neck shirts are great, too. Even better are V neck 3/4 sleeve shirts. If your trouble is larger arms/ chest, look for shirts with the activity near the bottom. I used to love busy tops that were floral or patterned all over until I realized it made me look bigger than I am. People's eyes are drawn to the activity, not your problem area!

Booty/ thigh issues are helped with boot cut pants and no pockets or pockets with NO cute stitching or designs on them. (I was a fashion/ jewelry consultant ages ago!)

Long necklaces, stacked bracelets, and oval instead of circular earrings are helpful, too!

Great info for non-progress photos...
    Hope it helps someone!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't "suck in", but I do hold my core tighter haha
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Nah but I flex. /FLEX
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member