Low Carb and gout anyone else have this problem

Options

Replies

• ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, don't go low carb. It's not a healthy and sustainable way to eat. You can lose weight fast, but inflammatory diseases, like gout, and many others, are made worse. The healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, and they are mostly high carb foods. You can lose a lot of weight eating a fruit and vegetable diet, AND remain healthy and free from disease.

Very interesting. Which low carb diets say no vegetables?

That's what I was thinking....
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, don't go low carb. It's not a healthy and sustainable way to eat. You can lose weight fast, but inflammatory diseases, like gout, and many others, are made worse. The healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, and they are mostly high carb foods. You can lose a lot of weight eating a fruit and vegetable diet, AND remain healthy and free from disease.

The minimal amount of veggies allowed on a LC diet don't provide enough nutrition to deal with the damage from the rest of the diet.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    No offense, but perhaps you should study the sciences instead of spouting nonsense.
    I was going to ask you the same!!!
    I'll put my educational credentials up against yours here any day, sir. I dare say in the "appeal to authority" argument - you'll lose this one.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    It's low-fruit, sure - because fruit is mostly sugar.
    Fruit is mostly water.
    In terms of macronutrients, fruit is mostly carbohydrate. In terms of micronutrients, fruit is mostly sugar.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?

The minimal amount of veggies allowed on a LC diet don't provide enough nutrition to deal with the damage from the rest of the diet.

I eat wayyyyy more veggies now that I am low carbing due to PCOS... Before the only veggies I got were if you qualified lettuce on a hamburger or French fries as veggies.... Now I eat them everyday..
  • Rocbola
    Options
    No offense, but perhaps you should study the sciences instead of spouting nonsense.
    I was going to ask you the same!!!
    I'll put my educational credentials up against yours here any day, sir. I dare say in the "appeal to authority" argument - you'll lose this one.
    If you're so educated, why does your nutritional info so perfectly resemble meat industry propaganda? I'd question who is educating you.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    That's a load of crap. Many of the low-carbers i know eat more veggies than the very few vegans I know. Heck, I ate over 5 cups of leafy greens today. Some days I eat 8 cups or more.

You're just making stuff up now. What do you think the "minimum amount of veggies allowed" is, anyway????
  • ALNoog
    Options
    Any suggestions?

I eat wayyyyy more veggies now that I am low carbing due to PCOS... Before the only veggies I got were if you qualified lettuce on a hamburger or French fries as veggies.... Now I eat them everyday..

For example the other night with my dinner I had two cups of green beans... I COULD have had 5 cups.... Who eats 5 cups of green beans at one meal? I was "allowed" to ... But I couldn't actually eat that much.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    If you're so educated, why does your nutritional info so perfectly resemble meat industry propaganda? I'd question who is educating you.
    At least I have more than ad-hominems and propaganda backing me up. I have not only my-own credentials, but science.

I'm still waiting for your dozens of research studies, meta-analyses and articles that show low-carb lifestyles are unhealthy. Where are they?
  • ALNoog
    Options
    At least I have more than ad-hominems and propaganda backing me up. I have not only my-own credentials, but science.

I'm still waiting for your dozens of research studies, meta-analyses and articles that show low-carb lifestyles are unhealthy. Where are they?

I'm also wondering how many grams of protein a day people are saying is way too much?
    I think my protein intake isn't over board?
    I've never seen you be full of meat industry propaganda either
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I'm also wondering how many grams of protein a day people are saying is way too much?

Excess protein won't harm you except in two instances:

1. if you have pre-existing kidney issues - then excess protein will overwork them.
    2. If you have insulin-resistance and/or diabetes - then excess is converted to glucose and could raise serum glucose to unsafe levels.

If I were a meat-propagandist I'd tell people processed meat is fine. And although I do eat some, I don't believe it's as safe as the industry would lead you to believe.

Most of the meat I eat is grass-fed / free-range and as organic as possible. Ditto with eggs - I prefer free-run / free-range. I prefer bacon from my local butcher shoppe - they get some that's from free-range pigs and is naturally cured - it's much-better than pre-packaged, but it's a seasonal thing.

The truth is while natural, whole foods ARE better for us than packaged - there's simply no weight to the argument that meat (except process) is unhealthy. Only the truly ignorant or brainwashed zealots believe otherwise.
  • Rocbola
    Options

I'm still waiting for your science. You talk a big game, but you aren't putting anything out there.

I don't have to provide you anything. The studies are out there, and if you continue down your path of nutritional ignorance, it doesn't effect me. I would spend my time linking you to all the data that supports my conclusion, but what would be the point? You have your mind made up, no matter what logic, science and reality say.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    nope...lucky at that
  • ALNoog
    Options

Excess protein won't harm you except in two instances:

1. if you have pre-existing kidney issues - then excess protein will overwork them.
    2. If you have insulin-resistance and/or diabetes - then excess is converted to glucose and could raise serum glucose to unsafe levels.

If I were a meat-propagandist I'd tell people processed meat is fine. And although I do eat some, I don't believe it's as safe as the industry would lead you to believe.

Most of the meat I eat is grass-fed / free-range and as organic as possible. Ditto with eggs - I prefer free-run / free-range. I prefer bacon from my local butcher shoppe - they get some that's from free-range pigs and is naturally cured - it's much-better than pre-packaged, but it's a seasonal thing.

The truth is while natural, whole foods ARE better for us than packaged - there's simply no weight to the argument that meat (except process) is unhealthy. Only the truly ignorant or brainwashed zealots believe otherwise.

Oh, no I am pro low carb and I do it for my pcos and insulin resistance... I'm just saying people always say low carb will shut your kidneys down because you eat too much protein but I'm just wondering how Much the neighsayers consider too much.

What is the recommended grams of protein for a "normal" diet?
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Oh, no I am pro low carb and I do it for my pcos and insulin resistance... I'm just saying people always say low carb will shut your kidneys down because you eat too much protein but I'm just wondering how Much the neighsayers consider too much.
    I'm aware, I've seen your posts before. I'm just stating the medical fact that UNLESS you have pre-existing kidney disease, then excess protein won't hurt them.
    That varies by individual.

For women it's basically about 0.5g per pound of lean body mass if sedentary, and goes up based on activity. If extremely-active / an athlete, it's best to have at least 1.0g / pound of lean mass - again, as a minimum.

If you're trying to GAIN muscle (so you're eating a surplus instead of a deficit) you may want to aim for even more - as much as 50% more - For example, Lyle McDonald (a highly-regarded expert on performance nutrition) is currently recommending 1.5g/lb of bodyweight (not lean mass) for powerlifters based on all available current research.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    I'm aware, I've seen your posts before. I'm just stating the medical fact that UNLESS you have pre-existing kidney disease, then excess protein won't hurt them.
    That varies by individual.

For women it's basically about 0.5g per pound of lean body mass if sedentary, and goes up based on activity. If extremely-active / an athlete, it's best to have at least 1.0g / pound of lean mass - again, as a minimum.

If you're trying to GAIN muscle (so you're eating a surplus instead of a deficit) you may want to aim for even more - as much as 50% more - For example, Lyle McDonald (a highly-regarded expert on performance nutrition) is currently recommending 1.5g/lb of bodyweight (not lean mass) for powerlifters based on all available current research.

Wasn't trying to harp on you at all... Just had a friend tell me the other day that I was "going to die like Doctor Atkins did from eating too much protein" and I told her on average I eat about 80-90 grams a day and she informed me that was double the normal "recommend amount" so I just thought maybe you might know off the top of your head.

I'm not trying to argue with you I was just trying to get advice.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I'm still waiting for your science. You talk a big game, but you aren't putting anything out there.

I don't have to provide you anything. The studies are out there, and if you continue down your path of nutritional ignorance, it doesn't effect me. I would spend my time linking you to all the data that supports my conclusion, but what would be the point? You have your mind made up, no matter what logic, science and reality say.
    OK, but I expect a sound, scientific rebuttal.

Lucky for me there's other people that have already done this work - BTW I can attest to having read - in it's entirety - each and every study in this list. I doubt you can say the same. Also of note, as I'm using primarily Randomized Controlled Trials for my evidence (the gold-standard in scientific research) I would ask you to provide science using the same methodology.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Santos FL, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials of the effects of low carbohydrate diets on cardiovascular risk factors. Obes Rev. 2012 Aug 21. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2012.01021.x. [Epub ahead of print]

On saturated fat: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638&resultClick=3

From Johns Hopkins: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/low_carb_higher_fat_diets_add_no_arterial_health_risks_to_obese_people_seeking_to_lose_weight

And finally, from Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's website:

"There are at least 18 modern scientific studies of the highest quality (RCT) that show significantly better weight loss with low carb diets:

RCTs showing significantly more weight loss with low carb diets

Shai I, et al. Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, mediterranean, or low-fat diet. N Engl J Med 2008;359(3);229–41.
    Gardner CD, et al. Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and learn Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women. The a to z Weight Loss Study: A Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2007;297:969–977.
    Brehm BJ, et al. A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1617–1623.
    Samaha FF, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2074–81.
    Sondike SB, et al. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor in overweight adolescents. J Pediatr. 2003 Mar;142(3):253–8.
    Aude YW, et al. The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs a Diet Lower in Carbohydrates and Higher in Protein and Monounsaturated Fat. A Randomized Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:2141–2146.
    Volek JS, et al. Comparison of energy-restricted very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on weight loss and body composition in overweight men and women. Nutrition & Metabolism 2004, 1:13.
    Yancy WS Jr, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia. A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:769–777.
    Nichols-Richardsson SM, et al. Perceived Hunger Is Lower and Weight Loss Is Greater in Overweight Premenopausal Women Consuming a Low-Carbohydrate/High- Protein vs High-Carbohydrate/Low-Fat Diet. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105:1433–1437.
    Krebs NF, et al. Efficacy and Safety of a High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet for Weight Loss in Severely Obese Adolescents. J Pediatr 2010;157:252-8.
    Summer SS, et al. Adiponectin Changes in Relation to the Macronutrient Composition of a Weight-Loss Diet. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
    Halyburton AK, et al. Low- and high-carbohydrate weight-loss diets have similar effects on mood but not cognitive performance. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86:580–7.
    Dyson PA, et al. A low-carbohydrate diet is more effective in reducing body weight than healthy eating in both diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. Diabet Med. 2007 Dec;24(12):1430-5.
    Keogh JB, et al. Effects of weight loss from a very-low-carbohydrate diet on endothelial function and markers of cardiovascular disease risk in subjects with abdominal obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;87:567–76.
    Volek JS, et al. Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet. Lipids 2009;44:297–309.
    Partsalaki I, et al. Metabolic impact of a ketogenic diet compared to a hypocaloric diet in obese children and adolescents. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2012;25(7-8):697-704.
    Daly ME, et al. Short-term effects of severe dietary carbohydrate-restriction advice in Type 2 diabetes–a randomized controlled trial. Diabet Med. 2006 Jan;23(1):15–20.
    Westman EC, et al. The effect of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low- glycemic index diet on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr. Metab (Lond.)2008 Dec 19;5:36.
    The first 16 studies in the list are weight loss trials, the last two are studies on type 2-diabetics (usually overweight) showing the same effect. Many of the studies are of six months or one year duration, one of them (Shai et al) is two years long.

All of these studies show significantly more weight loss for the group that were advised to eat a low carb diet (Atkins, in most cases).

As far as I know the opposite has never been shown: low carb has never lost a weight loss trial significantly. This means that low carb is winning versus the failed low fat/low calorie advice by 18-0!"
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

This website states calculate your weight x .37 to figure out the minimum amount of protein you should eat. It also states protein levels are based on our age, weight, and activity level. So, I believe this gives you a base on where your protein should be at
  • ALNoog
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

This website states calculate your weight x .37 to figure out the minimum amount of protein you should eat. It also states protein levels are based on our age, weight, and activity level. So, I believe this gives you a base on where your protein should be at

Thanks for that!
    According to that I am almost spot on. It said 92-95

And I usually keep it around 85-99
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    eating low carb is actually causing the calorie deficit. It shouldn't, by itself, cause gout. I'm thinking that low carb is causing excessive low calorie,intake and then causing the fat breakdown that is causing high purine levels in the blood, which is then causing crystals to forming the foot joints and then inflammation. and pain. I'm thinking that if I just eat more I might solve my problem. The human body does not need sugar or carbs to thrive. Right?

I have no idea about the connection between low-carbing and the exacerbation of gout symptoms.

I suffer with Lupus and another complicated systemic pain condition......which causes same issues that gout does, just different origin. I was wondering if you are making sure to be very generous with your fluid intake to dilute the pain causing crystals of which you speak.

Also, another resource which may or may not interest you is the diet plan that is 'endorsed' by Doctors treating arthritis, Lupus and other inflammatory conditions....you would have to do a Google Search.....Rheumatoid Arthritis Anti-Inflammatory Diet, should get you plenty of hits.

Good luck......I will add another comment FWIW, I commend you trying different styles of eating and weight loss to help your pain, but if after a reasonable time of eating that way your symptoms flare up, it might be time to try another approach......having such flare ups can be hard to reign in if left.