What is the best exercise to get rid of 'love handles'?

Options
Hi all,
Does anyone have any advice on the best exercise to get rid of love handles?
I've lost a lot of weight recently but can't seem to shift it.

Hhhheeelllppp!!!

Replies

• peebeebs
    peebeebs Posts: 25
    Options
    I am not a trainer or anything but I think that cardio and diet. Love handles are hard to get rid of. Best of luck!! Don't give up!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep losing fat and eventually the love handles will go away. You can't spot reduce fat and no exercises will help you remove fat from a specific area.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I have love handles too - so not loveable! I gain all my weight around my midsection so muffin top big time. Anyway, I am working my obliques muscles (the muscles on the sides of the abdomen) by doing bicycle crunches twisting side to side. Still have to lose the fat of course. Just google bicycle crunches to see what the exercise looks like. I also do yoga planks to strengthen my whole core midsectoin and regular sit-ups on a sit-up machine at the gym.

Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Losing enough fat for them to disappear would be the best exercise. Focus on eating less calories that you are burning, be more active and do some strength training to keep your muscles fired up, and you will get there eventually. Even though I still have a lot to lose, my love handles have shrunk considerably. They are almost unnoticeable! And I don't recall doing a single crunch.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    fork putdowns and table pushaways.

3x per day.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing.... you've succeeded at losing a lot of fat already... you can't control where you lose fat from, but keep going and you will lose the love handles when your body fat percentage is lower... how much lower no-one can say as this kind of thing varies with genetics. but there's no specific exercise to get rid of them, just get your body fat percentage lower

I'd recommend exercises that increase core strength, because core strength is important. So don't stop doing them, but whether the love handles stay or go depends on body fat percentage.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing.... you've succeeded at losing a lot of fat already... you can't control where you lose fat from, but keep going and you will lose the love handles when your body fat percentage is lower... how much lower no-one can say as this kind of thing varies with genetics. but there's no specific exercise to get rid of them, just get your body fat percentage lower

I'd recommend exercises that increase core strength, because core strength is important. So don't stop doing them, but whether the love handles stay or go depends on body fat percentage.

Thanks I've started doing 30 day plank challenge so hopefully that will increase my core strength. How do I measure my body fat percentage?
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Losing enough fat for them to disappear would be the best exercise. Focus on eating less calories that you are burning, be more active and do some strength training to keep your muscles fired up, and you will get there eventually. Even though I still have a lot to lose, my love handles have shrunk considerably. They are almost unnoticeable! And I don't recall doing a single crunch.

I've lost a lot too and my love handles have shrunk but its the 1 area which doesn't seem to be on proportion with the rest of my body it's so annoying. S' pose I just need to keep on gyming and hopefully they eventually catch up with the rest of my body.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I've lost a lot too and my love handles have shrunk but its the 1 area which doesn't seem to be on proportion with the rest of my body it's so annoying. S' pose I just need to keep on gyming and hopefully they eventually catch up with the rest of my body.

When losing a lot of weight, almost everyone is bound to go through the what I call "the awkward teenage puppy" phase. My current shape reminds me of when my lab was growing up and he had such awkward proportion. I have the same problem with my butt looking like a bulb in the middle of my body, but I know how I looked when I was at my target weight so I'm not too worried. Just continue doing what you're doing and things will eventually even out.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ditto the comments made - cardio for fat loss, weight training to minimise muscle loss, then more weights after you've stopped losing to gain muscle to tighten those areas up (I found mine shrunk and firmed with NROL4W)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    pilates has done wonders for my core stability (and my mid section is flatter, narrower,has some definition and the handles are going)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

It is one of the biggest misconceptions out there that doing certain exercises (i.e. sit-ups to get rid of belly fat, etc) will target that fat as opposed to fat in general. Not true. You lose from the layers of fat stored all over your body, which means you collect where you collect. Nothing you can do about that except keep on the downward trail. And beware of developing a body image issue over it.
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

3x per day.

Lol

He's right though :-)
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    try blogilates! it's amazing!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

3x per day.

Haha, love it.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

3x per day.

Haha, love it.

im still struggling with my form.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The best exercise to lose love handles is patience...
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

3x per day.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately one can not 'spot reduce' when it comes to weight loss, you will need to lose weight (fat) overall to notice some difference. The worst part is that it's always the place you want to lose most, where you will lose last.. Sucky