22lbs before june?

Options
I want to be within the healthy weight range by my birthday which is towards the back end of june (18th). I have 22lbs to go going by the scales reading this morning. I wouldn't say I'm massively active, the boyfriend and I go out on loooong walks at a reasonable speed (about 3mph if we're on flat ground) 2-3 times a week - these walks are AT LEAST 2 hours long, but generally speaking pushing 3+ hours.

if I eat (or try to eat, eating disorder relapsed at the moment) 1200 calories a day, would losing 22lbs before my birthday be doable? I'm signing up to the gym when I have the money, too.

Replies

• Trying2Recover
    Options
    anyone?
  • hanab1987
    hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    With roughly 11 weeks to go until your birthday that would mean you'd have to lose 2lbs per week which is certainly doable with some effort. Good luck!
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eating 1600 cals a day, you would still probably lose. But trying to lose weight in a certain amount of time, while still recovering from an eating disorder, could go bad very quickly. It would be doable, but I would definitely consider talking to your therapist and make sure they are overseeing your health, both physical and mental.

Here is a good intro thread, but since I don't know the extent or severity of your eating disorder, I would still talk to your therapist.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    anyone?

Sorry, not going to advise someone in a currently active eating disorder (you said you're in relapse at the moment) on dieting. Nope Nope NOPE not gonna do it. If you're serious about it you need to talk to a dietician (NOT Nutritionist, an actual honest to god RD), doctor and probably therapist and do it right, not ask a bunch of knuckleheads on the internet.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You only have 21 lb. to go. A healthy, sustainable loss at your size is .5 lb. per week, or 4 lb. by June 1.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What's the rush ? That's what might set you in failure !
    With only this amount of weight to lose, aim to do it slowly,in a healthy way ( i recommend talking with a doctor and/ or dietician as you suffer from ED ) like 6 months in and by eating more than 1200 kcals
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    The fastest way to worsen an Eating Disorder is to set high goals that are unachievable. If you don't lose weight one week you may get so upset, give up and binge and undo all of your hard work and set you back emotionally. Weight loss is not linear - some weeks you lose, some you don't. I have never in my life been able to lose 2lbs per week consistently. I have lost 3lbs in a week followed by 2 weeks of no loss. You have to be prepared for this. I agree completely with getting professional help for your ED, but if you are determined to lose weight you do need to make sure you have the mental stability. Dieting is a terrible idea for anyone with an Eating Disorder, but sometimes the help isn't available and gaining weight makes things worse. A half a pound a week of weight loss per week would get you to your goal, but weight loss being so inconsistent there is no guarantee. You also have to take into account your current weight. Bigger people have an easier time losing the weight consistently than slimmer people - our bodies are designed to fight against our weight loss efforts to prevent us from dying and they do this very well when we don't have massive amounts of fat in storage so remember this.

I think you need to set yourself much smaller goals and once you achieve each goal you move to the next one. E.g. start with losing 5lbs, then move onto another 5...

By the way, seeing a dietician is absolutely not a a guarantee of getting good advice. I have seen 3 dieticians in the past and only one of them offered me half decent advice. One told me to eat wheat despite having problems with my digestion, another told me to eat junk food regularly to apparently help with cravings (all that did was make them worse) and the other told me I was doing all the right things. Those experiences are what made me decide to study as a Nutritionist and not a Dietician. Dieticians deal mostly with focusing on the cause and treatments of diseases, whilst Nutritionists deal with people and advise them on food choices based on specific symptoms.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    I want to be a healthy weight for turning 21. :P

I have a long way to go, I just want to be within the healthy weight range by then.
  • pennyllayne
    Options

I have a long way to go, I just want to be within the healthy weight range by then.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I don't think you've given yourself enough time without knowing how your body is going to respond. It took me a year to lose 25lbs, but I've kept it off. No one is discouraging you from being healthy, just don't set your goals too high. If you lose 22lbs in 2.5 months that's great, but please don't expect this to be a guarantee.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    realistically you don't have much to lose so aiming for 2lbs a week is too much, especially with an eating disorder in the mix. Aiming to be healthy for your 21st is far more important than aiming for some arbitary scale value. Look to lose 0.5lbs a week, include some exercise (Cardio and strength training) so you get to your 21st with a sustainable plan for a healthy lifestyle.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    anyone?

Sorry, not going to advise someone in a currently active eating disorder (you said you're in relapse at the moment) on dieting. Nope Nope NOPE not gonna do it. If you're serious about it you need to talk to a dietician (NOT Nutritionist, an actual honest to god RD), doctor and probably therapist and do it right, not ask a bunch of knuckleheads on the internet.

THIS. You need to see a doctor or therapist. It doesn't matter if you want to be at a healthy weight if you are using unhealthy measures to get there, you're still going to end up unhealthy. Nothing magical happens if you're at your goal weight when you turn 21, and if you're undereating for 2 months only to go out and get wasted on your 21st you're setting yourself up for what will at the very least be a horrific hangover and could even result in alcohol poisoning or death. Get help.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you suffer from an eating disorder, I think you should seek medical help from your doctor.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    To put it in perspective, it took me one year to lose 26 pounds. That was doing it the healthy way. Don't set yourself up for failure, you will get there in good time and be better of for doing it safley. And YES i agree, consult a physician because of your history. Good luck :)
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Which is understandable but I have to say this is quite an arbitrary goal. For the idea of being at a certain weight on a certain day you risk a relapse, you risk pulling yourself into destructive habits and patterns of behaviour. Please consider whether the headline of "I was at a healthy weight as I turned 21" is really worth it.

Realistically do you see yourself a 22lbs lighter in a healthy, happy positive way in June? As somebody with an ED you more than likely know what you'll have to do to lose that 22lbs before June and in some corner of your mind you know it's not a wise idea. Perhaps there's a hope that if strangers on the internet say it's okay, it's somehow all going to be okay.

Please please be careful. Working with people who have EDs has taught me that EDs never fully disappear, there's always something that could bring it back in full scale whether it's a trigger event, an innocent diet plan that gets out of hand or response to an emotional event. Don't let this goal weight take priority over the journey you will have to take to reach it.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options

Which is understandable but I have to say this is quite an arbitrary goal. For the idea of being at a certain weight on a certain day you risk a relapse, you risk pulling yourself into destructive habits and patterns of behaviour. Please consider whether the headline of "I was at a healthy weight as I turned 21" is really worth it.

Realistically do you see yourself a 22lbs lighter in a healthy, happy positive way in June? As somebody with an ED you more than likely know what you'll have to do to lose that 22lbs before June and in some corner of your mind you know it's not a wise idea. Perhaps there's a hope that if strangers on the internet say it's okay, it's somehow all going to be okay.

Please please be careful. Working with people who have EDs has taught me that EDs never fully disappear, there's always something that could bring it back in full scale whether it's a trigger event, an innocent diet plan that gets out of hand or response to an emotional event. Don't let this goal weight take priority over the journey you will have to take to reach it.

tbh at the moment, i dont see myself being "happy" anywhere. :/ i've lost 50lbs so far from my highest weight, just.. i dunno. :/
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    It sounds like a good idea to focus on true recovery from your eating disorder, instead of losing weight.
  • pennyllayne
    Options

tbh at the moment, i dont see myself being "happy" anywhere. :/ i've lost 50lbs so far from my highest weight, just.. i dunno. :/

That's quite common for ED sufferers. I have no fully recovered from mine yet, but I know my triggers and that is a big part of it. I know the weight I eventually want to get to, but I will never set myself that goal within a specific amount of time. Realistically I don't see myself ever getting there. I am not within a "healthy" weight range according to what the government says. I am just outside and for some people that is a healthy weight for them. My body is very good at fighting back and I accept that I am not one of those people who is destined to be slim, but I have a good waist to hip ratio, I am within the healthy range of body fat, I have a decent amount of muscle, my cholesterol is great, as are my triglycerides and those are things to feel positive about. Being a certain weight isn't necessarily going to make you any healthier. I don't know your current weight, but as I said, it took me a year to lose 25lbs and I am still not within a conventionally "healthy" weight.

Im not saying you can never reach your goal, but I'm saying if you set that goal to be achieved within a certain time frame you are setting yourself up to fail because 22lbs is a big goal for only 2.5 months. I think only the most obese person could achieve that amount of weight in that amount of time. Maybe not even then. You've done great so far and your goal to be healthy is a great one, but please realise that being healthy is not solely about weight. What if you lose that 22lbs but you are deficient in a number of nutrients and you cause a large amount of muscle wasting? Would it be worth it?

One thing I can tell you for sure is that a diet high in carbs exacerbates eating disorders because of how they affect your blood sugar. A lower carb diet has REALLY helped me with mine and you might even find that you don't have to be obsessive about calorie counting and lose weight effortlessly!