Curling In The Squat Rack?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I feel a little guilty doing OHPs and barebell lunges in the squat rack but I kind of have to...

I do barbell OHP in the squat rack too ….

Yup. Where else can you do it?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I feel a little guilty doing OHPs and barebell lunges in the squat rack but I kind of have to...

Um. I just clean it into position. If I can shoulder press it, it's light enough to clean. I mainly use DBs for OHP, though.
  • tanfit4life
    tanfit4life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    its not going to change my day at the gym-I think its really sill to worry about-I use to get pissed-now I just do something else tll they are done-there is more the one squat rack at my gym
  • tanfit4life
    tanfit4life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree let them go to planet fitness-
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is a tired and cliched gripe. Please to come up with something new about which to inanely whine.

This.

And I will follow it with the "If you use the search function you will find a million threads on this subject".
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Um. I just clean it into position. If I can shoulder press it, it's light enough to clean. I mainly use DBs for OHP, though.

Sure, if that's your goal.

At the moment, I max out at 175 lbs on my ohp, and when I'm pushing my max, I don't want to waste energy power cleaning it up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Lol. You think there are squat racks at planet fitness?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Not a problem if the gym is empty. Problem if people are staring at you while waiting for your *kitten* to finish.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's my take. If nobody's waiting, that's fine. When I'm in the weightroom, there's usually only one other person there, and that's the staff guy re-reacking other people's weights before closing up.

The challenge is that it might not always be apparent when someone else wants to use the squat rack for squats, especially if they're the type of people who will continue on with other exercises while they wait for the rack to be open.

I have to admit, I really don't like curling at the preacher curl station because I can't always get it to fit right and the angles just don't seem to work. But I also tend to prefer dumbbells if I'm doing curls, so using the squat rack would be absolutely pointless.
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    I do selfies in the squat rack
    so what!!
    oh and i do sets of them!
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    Send the retards to PLANET FITNESS
    I do agree-when I want to use the squat rack and a jerk is doing curls-it is annoying-but I don't let it run my day
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Lol. You think there are squat racks at planet fitness?

The on in Providence RI has a squat rack as well as Olympic bars for benching.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've never had this problem. The gym I go to has like 18 power cages and 10 deadlift/clean platforms, and there's always more of them than there are people in the gym.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Even worse is that the smith machine is right next to our squat rack (literally close and facing it), so when I'm trying to deadlift or do squats, this guy always come and leans on the smith machine bar to do pushups, while I'm in the middle of a lift. Not only is it distracting, but very dangerous as well.

sounds like a poor setup... id tell the gym to move **** around
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Sure, if that's your goal.

At the moment, I max out at 175 lbs on my ohp, and when I'm pushing my max, I don't want to waste energy power cleaning it up.

Maybe you have a point. The numbers are irrelevant. If my 1RM is 1kg and it's still a struggle to clean 1kg, should I use a squat rack, too?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would like to introduce you to something called humor. it is when someone makes a joke order to lighten the mood and create something called laughter. You should try it sometime. BTW, i will be reporting your post. Calling of names is not cool in this community "BRO".

No, I'm pretty sure you seriously meant what you said and are now backtracking your comment due to your public perception.
    Huh? That was one of the most obvious jokes I've read in a while, especially with the added intentional misspellings for additional comedic effect... You may want to get your sense of humor re-calibrated...
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The person curling in the squat rack is less of an ***hole than the person taking up six pieces of equipment 'circuit training'.

^^There's a bro-dude, at my gym, who does both (curling in the squat rack and claiming the next piece of equipment he intends to use with his gym bag). Total *kitten*. I'd say something, but I'm afraid his scary-looking girlfriend will kick my @$$.

They both come into the gym with looks on their faces like they're trying to intimidate the weights sets.

I hate working out, when they're in the gym.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    The person curling in the squat rack is less of an ***hole than the person taking up six pieces of equipment 'circuit training'.

lol what logic is that? Both parties are still hogging equipment they aren't using
    lol it's simple maths.

6>1

Your math checks out.

But what if there are 6 squat racks?

There never are. 2 at most.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Big doods can do whatever they want in the gym. Little doods, no curly in the racky.

if big doods are curling in the squat rack that tells me they don't know what it's for, and if they don't know what it's for then wtf are they doing on leg day, and do they even have a leg day?
    dont_skip_leg_day-116998.jpg
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    does anyone else hang off the squat rack like a monkey to stretch out before squating? Or am i weird?

I do. I hope it isn't dangerous/careless, because it feels good. Lol!