Did you start jogging/running while still obese?

Options

Replies

• RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went slow and even after C25K I alternated walking with running. Still do especially on long runs. Good luck!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used to run long distances before I got heavy. At my current weight, I am building back up now, and I do notice a huge difference in little aches and pains because of my weight (knees and shins). Focusing on taking shorter strides and strength training to build up supporting muscles have been the biggest help for me. I'm also finding my progression a lot slower this time, but that could be due to any combination of factors. I think we potentially have to be more careful due to the extra impact on our joints, but running has so many benefits too - happy running!
  • rhiol
    rhiol Posts: 5
    Options
    I def hate running, actually I hate cardio but I understand I have to do it. I only started two weeks ago at 228 and 5'7. I can only jog for 5 mins straight. So I would jog 5 mins, walk fast for 5-10mins to catch up my breath then jog another 5 mins. I do that over and over again. But I make sure I have a total of 30 mins of jogging. So I think you will have to make your own system. Everybody is different. Push yourself but don't hurt yourself. I also take classes at my gym like bootcamp, Aqua aerobics and weight lifting. my friend told me those classes would help build my resistance.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I did. 2 years ago. I started with C25K. After that, when I could fairly comfortably complete a 5K (it was still hard, but doable), I started doing a bridge to 10K program. Once I got up to around 4.5 miles though, I started having some hip issues. I then switched to the Galloway method. It's easier on the joints and allows you to run longer and farther with less aches and pains. So, I would recommend after C25K, you look into the Galloway method.

I've been running for two years now, and I still do run/walk intervals. I don't really follow Galloway's method anymore, but I still take walk breaks. Currently doing 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking. I did complete my first half marathon doing a 3 min/1 min split last year. This year, I'll be doing another half at longer intervals.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I started at EXACTLY the same stats as you (5'8 237) by doing c25k on a treadmill. The treadmill made it easier on my joints than running on the street. I finished it on the machine then graduated to doing the whole programme AGAIN on the street over the summer. I finished it and ran my first 5k race at 33mins and 201lbs.
    It wasn't easy and I had to repeat weeks, deal with shin splints and aches and feeling like I couldn't breathe... Watching other runners bounce past me easily and feeling like I was the WORST, FATTEST most AWFUL runner that ever was.

But now I'm 169lbs, I love running, I'm training with c210k and enjoying myself. Go for it.

I started slow when I was obese, by jogging maybe 30 seconds and walking 2 minutes until eventually I could phase out the walking. I also didn't care about my pace.

I quoted the above because the pavement can be hard on your knees. If that is something you are worried about, try to run on a treadmill or a trail or even grass. You do have to be extremely careful in grass or on trails, and you will run slower but it is a life saver on your knees. I run easy runs between 8-9 minute miles and if I run a true trail I am close to 10-11 minute miles because the terrain is softer and you have to make sure you don't step in any holes or anything crazy!

Listen to your body. There's a difference between being sore and being in pain, too!!
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started running at about 5'3 & 250 lbs. I took it slow and started out walking a lot and jogging a little then walking a lot and jogging a little. Good shoes are essential as well for me I needed to start on even, paved ground. Trails and hills have come with time. I'm just over 207 lbs now (so still very much overweight) and I run 3 to 4 miles at a time 4 to 5 days a week. It has been a major catalyst of helping me to lose weight.
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm morbidly obese and I am able to run fine. I would like to add to the recommendations to start with a program such as C25K.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I started at EXACTLY the same stats as you (5'8 237) by doing c25k on a treadmill. The treadmill made it easier on my joints than running on the street. I finished it on the machine then graduated to doing the whole programme AGAIN on the street over the summer. I finished it and ran my first 5k race at 33mins and 201lbs.
    It wasn't easy and I had to repeat weeks, deal with shin splints and aches and feeling like I couldn't breathe... Watching other runners bounce past me easily and feeling like I was the WORST, FATTEST most AWFUL runner that ever was.

But now I'm 169lbs, I love running, I'm training with c210k and enjoying myself. Go for it.

I am so glad you posted, I would love to run/jog and right now only get to the gym and use the treadmill, I have heard of the c25k but never someone doing it on a treadmill, thanks!

Of course I still have to work up to letting go of the bars first (terrified of falling off lol)
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started running when I began at 255lbs... granted it was about 5 mins walking, 30 seconds running... but I eased into it, and pushed myself for further and further every time.

Im currently 225lbs and can do 1.5 miles straight on the treadmill, and almost 1 mile straight on outdoor road terrain. Sometimes I get self conscious about it, but then I think ya know what, f**k what people think, Im better'ing myself.

I kinda made up my own version of C25K haha, in that I just challenge myself to run further every time I get on the treadmill lol.

It was such a shock to me when I did my first outside road run how much harder it was. I was all cocky thinking yehahh I can do 1.5 miles easy.... Ummmm no... I could do about 1/4 mile before I felt like I was going to pass out haha. It was definitely a whole other ball game, but as with the treadmill, Im being persistant and pushing myself more every day.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yep, I started couch to 5k when I weighed 105kg. Slowly, very slowly, but I did it, like others, I used a treadmill. I can do it quicker now and have gone up to about 4.5 miles, but haven't persisted with it because I didn't enjoy it, although I did like the feeling of being able to run non-stop after not being able to run for 90 seconds at the start.
  • brustman1369
    brustman1369 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started running four years ago when I was 44 and @250 pounds. When I started, I couldn't run a single block. Yesterday, I ran my second marathon.

Start slow and do what you can. The C25K programs are good.

Stick with it if you enjoy it, don't if you don't. You said you ran before, so probably you will.

Running's great. But you can't outrun your fork.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I started and I also started with C25k...it's a wonderful program to start with. Run slow when you run and if you need to stop and walk then do...the point is to keep doing it and you WILL build up strength and endurance I promise you. Once you have the right shoes and keep with it you will find yourself doing things you never imagined. My C25k program ran with my own music in the background (as I assume most do) so you listen to music you love while it tells you when you walk and when you run. You can do this....I was never a runner in my life and now I can't live without it. It helps me when I'm stressed, angry, bored, etc etc.....you got this!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I was 300+ lbs when I started "running." It was more like extended doubled-over panting sessions interspersed with short periods or walking and lumbering. However, I stuck with it and as the weight came off the panting lessened and the lumbering evolved into an elegant lurching.

Now, I look like an epileptic orangutan when I run but I could care less. I did my first marathon last October.

You can do it. Listen to your body. Learn the difference between pain and discomfort.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Im currently 225lbs and can do 1.5 miles straight on the treadmill, and almost 1 mile straight on outdoor road terrain. Sometimes I get self conscious about it, but then I think ya know what, f**k what people think, Im better'ing myself.

My experience is that runners will cheer you on. Runners don't care if you are overweight, if you stop to walk, if only run a half mile, or if you wear an oversized t-shirt and sweats (which I did when I started)....they are encouraging and accepting of anyone who is trying or who "gets it" :) cause honestly to enjoy running is a mindset many can't understand so we all "get it" :)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Started at 250 lbs!

Things i learned along the way.

The C25K (couch to 5 km) is a wonderful tool to help get you moving.
    Repeat weeks as needed.
    Slow, oh so slow - you should be able to carry on a normal conversation without wheezing and gasping.
    Water lots of water - this helped with my shin splints, and cramps
    Stitches in your side when running - stop take a deep breath, hold it and slowly release x3 or more if needed.
    Map out a 3-4km route (week 1 - week 3 I ran about that) and walk/jog it.
    Enjoy it. If you don't you will likely give up. So pick a route to start that you will want to run, make them harder if you want.
    Speed will come the more you run.
    I found a treadmill to be dreadful on my knees and lower back - so asphalt and trails are where i like to run the most.
    Cold showers are your friend.

Listen to your body, it will tell you when it's had enough.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Started at 250 lbs!

Things i learned along the way.

The C25K (couch to 5 km) is a wonderful tool to help get you moving.
    Repeat weeks as needed.
    Slow, oh so slow - you should be able to carry on a normal conversation without wheezing and gasping.
    Water lots of water - this helped with my shin splints, and cramps
    Stitches in your side when running - stop take a deep breath, hold it and slowly release x3 or more if needed.
    Map out a 3-4km route (week 1 - week 3 I ran about that) and walk/jog it.
    Enjoy it. If you don't you will likely give up. So pick a route to start that you will want to run, make them harder if you want.
    Speed will come the more you run.
    I found a treadmill to be dreadful on my knees and lower back - so asphalt and trails are where i like to run the most.
    Cold showers are your friend.

Listen to your body, it will tell you when it's had enough.

+1

I'm only 5'5 and 180lbs but have two half marathons this year plus about 10 more 10ks. I started out at 245 lbs and yes it was a slow process but I now love running . You clearly know to get the right shoes etc so go out and enjoy.

PS recent studies show that running is no more likely to damage your need then walking the same distance and runners actually are less likely to have osteoporosis.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started running while I was almost 200 lbs and I'm 5'6''. Start will a really good pair of shoes and a C25K program for your MP3 player or smartphone. I have the C25K program from Zen Labs on my droid plus I have music on my phone too. Also if you can't complete that day add 10 mins of walking for each cycel you can't do to the orginal 30 mins. This will help your endurance over time and get you motivated because you don't want to spend an hour on the treadmill.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    First off, I am so very sorry for your loss. <3

I am about 260lbs right now. I did a 5k a couple weeks ago (my time was 46:17) and I am doing another 5k on Saturday. You can run - just be very careful. I have gained a lot of weight (pregnancy, etc.) and the extra weight has slowed me down so much. I was doing 5k's in about 35 - 37 mins. I will get back there.

My advice:

- Start slow - getting faster takes TIME, practice and patience
    - Good shoes
    - Cross training. (Zumba, weight lifting, step classes, kick boxing, DVD's at home - whatever) Do things that will help strengthen those muscles - it will make running better/easier.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I started at 300#...slowness will be your friend. slow pace and slow build. you'll gain the strength an endurance to push it over time.

also lift weights. help strengthen the tools you'll be using
    Agreed. I started running at about 275 LBS. The key is to start SLOW. Start by doing a lot of walking, and then start including short runs into your walks. Check into the C25K.

And one of the best things you can do is build your stamina with some non-impact cardio exercise, like cycling, elliptical or swimming.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm very sorry for your loss!!! I'm 5'5 and started "jogging" on an elliptical at 275lbs. (i have a rare joint disease and thought it best to start there) As i've lost weight, i've progressed to the treadmill. (still hurts my joints at 199lbs but i'm going slow and building up each time) I've tried running on the road and suffered with sore, swollen ankles for weeks afterwards. I'm currently waiting for it to stop snowing, (i'm canadian and it's still coming down a foot at a time!) so i can try out trail running. I will run a marathon someday and if you want to, you will too! Keep at it, good shoes, go slow, listen to your body, you'll get it :)