Butter of toast cals

Options
How much do y'll add for a light layer of butter on your toast? It seems like MFP told me before it would be an extra 10 calories.. seem accurate? I just use regular butter..... not margarine or anything

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Measure the butter before you spread it on your toast. Use a measuring spoon, or figure the size of the slice based on the markings on the wrapper (use another wrapped cube for comparison) There are 8 tablespoons in a cube of butter - I use about a 1/2 tbs on my toast - I like butter! A 1/2 tbs is about 50 cals.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I weigh it by putting the bread or toast a plate on the scale, hitting Tare to zero it out, then spreading on as much as I like and see what the weight is, recording the actual weight in grams.

THIS!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    10 cals seems very low. Like others have said, weigh it first.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weigh it by putting the bread or toast a plate on the scale, hitting Tare to zero it out, then spreading on as much as I like and see what the weight is, recording the actual weight in grams.

It melts tho on the hot toast...

I lay my knife on the scale...zero it out and get the butter...usually 10grams for 2 pieces of toast is enough for me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    10 cals seems very low. Like others have said, weigh it first.

Yah that's not correct I used 10grams today and it was 72 calories and that's not a lot of butter...just enough to put a thin coat on each piece.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I lay my knife on the scale...zero it out and get the butter...usually 10grams for 2 pieces of toast is enough for me.

does its melting change its caloric value? Seriously, because I didn't think of that. I assumed that the weight of the butter, whether melted or solid, is the weight of the butter used.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

does its melting change its caloric value? Seriously, because I didn't think of that. I assumed that the weight of the butter, whether melted or solid, is the weight of the butter used.

I would think it changes the "weight" from solid to liquid there is a difference in the measurments...from gram to tsp/tbsp...

Not sure...but I know with cooking when it says 1/2c butter melted for 1/2c melted butter there is a difference.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    I don't put butter on toast, I put it on my veggies :). There are around 750 cals in 100g of butter so 10 cals would only equate to a gram and a half! That's nothing. 10 grams is about a small teaspoon, but weighing it in a little bowl beforehand works well for me.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Think it's the same weight melted - could be wrong though.

Yup, I'm a 10g girl too (74) :)
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yep .... a very thin spreading on ONE SLICE OF TOAST is around 5g

That's a good 30-40 calories right there !!
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh it. You're probably using a lot more than you think! I use around 50 cals for each slice of bread.
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    I use about 10-15g of light butter on my toast and it comes up to around 45cal.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'd weigh it.

As for the difference in melted vs. unmelted, I figured it's just like raw meat or veggies- weigh before you cook or in this case melt
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    1 TBSP is 100 calories, and it sure melts fast on hot toast lol
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I believe melting might change volume and density - but not weight... right?

I weigh everything. Even measuring a tablespoon of butter - I found I was OVERestimating how much butter I had and was actually eating LESS than I accounted for. Weighting condiments helps me make sure I am getting to actually eat all the calories I am accounting for, and to not go over the portions.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh it. You're probably using a lot more than you think! I use around 50 cals for each slice of bread.

Yes. Butter was one of the things I was totally underestimating before I got my food scale. There's no way it's only 10 calories.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Yep, that's right. Nothing is added or removed when the butter melts, so the weight will not change.

Veggies change when cooked as they can lose or gain water during the cooking process (depending on how they are cooked). Likewise, with meat. It can lose weight during cooking because of water loss.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I weigh everything. Even measuring a tablespoon of butter - I found I was OVERestimating how much butter I had and was actually eating LESS than I accounted for. Weighting condiments helps me make sure I am getting to actually eat all the calories I am accounting for, and to not go over the portions.

no it does change it.

If you weigh out lets say 6grams of butter...then melt it...it is no longer 6grams...it's 4grams.

and it is now a liquid so it shouldn't be weighed it should be measured....will it matter with 10grams of butter on toast probably not a whole lot but as I mentioned when cooking and it says 1/2c butter melted....that is different than 1//2 melted butter...

1/2c melted butter is more than 1/2butter melted.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options

no it does change it.

If you weigh out lets say 6grams of butter...then melt it...it is no longer 6grams...it's 4grams.

and it is now a liquid so it shouldn't be weighed it should be measured....will it matter with 10grams of butter on toast probably not a whole lot but as I mentioned when cooking and it says 1/2c butter melted....that is different than 1//2 melted butter...

1/2c melted butter is more than 1/2butter melted.

No. The weight does not change. Neither does the volume.

In the same way that the weight of an ice cube will not change when it's melted.

The difference you are seeing between a cup of solid butter, and a cup of melted butter is probably due to the fact that it is very difficult to completely fill a cup with solid butter. No matter how hard you try, there will always be some air pockets.