binge eating disorder

Options
help its taking over my life :(

i want to eat healthy i really do. but as i suffer from clinical depression my emotions take over and all i do is eat. i have a wedding to attend in july and i want to loose some weight i was 242 im now 209 so i have lost some weight but i want to loose more and leave this stupid eating disorder in the past has anyone else have this? or had this?

thanks xx

Replies

• nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm not depressed, nor do I binge, but do you live alone? If so, try filling your house with only healthy foods. That way when you binge, it's on fruits and nuts and plain popcorn instead of things that may end up hurting your goal.
  • JolynedD
    JolynedD Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from this. It's taken over an enormous part of my life but I'm taking it back. I have to say that being alone at home was my biggest problem. I was on maternity leave twice and both those years I put on well over 30lbs each time. I was depressed from feeling soo alone, angry that other people could do things I could no longer do. Since I've been back at work and doing this work out routine I've recovered almost 100%. I have an amazing support group of women at my gym and that helps me tremendously. I would recommend finding yourself things to do outside of the home. Things that bring joy to your life and some sort of fulfillment. Soon those urges to binge eat will go away and be replaced by happier and wiser choices. You can Message me anytime.

I can't say that I'm perfect or that I've completely recovered. I've had a few slip ups but that feeling of guilt and regret hurts more then the pain of working out.

It's a hard journey but I believe anyone can beat this. 3 months ago I gave up on life and thought I would never get it back. But something clicked inside and I decided to live again. Don't let this take any more years then it already has. It's not worth it. Skinny tastes better!
  • sansa_stark
    sansa_stark Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and bingeing. Is there any way you could see a counselor or surround yourself with friends, ie go shopping, for a jog, etc (basically any non-food related activity)?
  • mightymousemackie
    mightymousemackie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Usually an eating disorder is caused by trauma in your past. Have you spoke to a therapist about it? There are support groups for eating disorders you should look into them
  • missvincent23
    missvincent23 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    yes. it happend when i was young. i also suffer from horrific depression i have done for over 10 years now. im trying to get back on track.
  • adams810
    adams810 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there

Someone gave me some really good advice once. Whenever you get that urge, HALT. That means stop and think - am I Hungry, am in Angry, am I Lonely, am I Tired? If you can pinpoint what it is that's making you want to eat, you might be able to change your actions before things go too far.

I understand how you feel. I am trying to take some positive steps myself.

Best of luck

M (joined today!)
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you. I had bulimia, which involves heavy bingeing. I am also bipolar, so I understand severe depression as well. There are a few things I can suggest based on my experience. But of course your situation is yours alone, so ignore me if something doesn't fit.

First, if you're not in counseling or under psychiatric care, you might want to pursue that option. It sounds like you need support. There is even a free group counseling network through the eating disorder group ANANDA. That's how I met my therapist who specialized in eating disorders. The group counseling alone was very meaningful, as I was finally around people who understood the pain I was in. As someone who is bipolar, I'm on a ton of medication and overseen by a psychiatrist. I am definitely not pushing meds, I just wanted to mention if you're not on them, you might find some relief from your severe depression. I always tell my psychiatrists that they CANNOT put me on a med that causes me to gain weight, as my eating disorder background means I won't take the pills. So far, they have me on nothing that messes with my weight, and I'm on 5 meds! Anyway, just a thought to consider.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy helps those who have emotional regulation problems, which overwhelmingly applies to those with binge eating and bulimia disorders. Essentially, strong emotions cause us to engage in destructive behavior and we need help with not letting our emotions rule our lives. There isn't a binge eating workbook, but the bulimia workbook is amazing. You can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Workbook-Bulimia/dp/1572246197

Lastly, make sure you are eating enough. Dieting is really hard for those with eating disorder backgrounds; usually we don't eat enough and then get caught in this cycle of binge and starve, binge and starve. We put pressure on ourselves to lose too much too quickly. It's important not to starve, since inevitably it leads to a binge.

My good thoughts go with you. Even posting is a step toward healing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Usually an eating disorder is caused by trauma in your past. Have you spoke to a therapist about it? There are support groups for eating disorders you should look into them

Unless it's cause by trauma in your present...
  • MegStreet28
    MegStreet28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Binge-Eating-Second-Edition/dp/1572305614/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

I have just undertaken the program outlined in the book above with the help of an Eating Disorders Conselling Service in my local area. The book is amazing and has turned my life around. I have now been binge free for 4 months. It is hard going but so worth it. The program is designed in steps so you can move on when you are ready. You can also go back to the pervious step if you need.

Good luck.

xxx
  • Sjarkey15
    Sjarkey15 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when my weight became a problem I was seeing a therapist for depression. I was 150, relatively active, ate well. I had some crappy things happen in my life that I could not get over emotionally.... I would eat until I puked, the next week I would starve. My emotions and my weight fluctuated so much until I eventually realized I couldn't live like that anymore. Unfortunately, even though I stopped starving myself! My junk food habit lived on.... I've been trying to lose weight off and on for the last year. I've had little success until I found some friends trying to do the same, and I think that's KEY.

A healthy support system! It's great, when I'm having a bad day and just want to give up and eat a pizza , they're their to motivate and encourage me. I don't feel embarrassed because I get the same texts from them when they feel the same, one girl lives in my city and we go to the gym together or walks in the park. It's much easier to stay motivated when someone you know is right next to you.

I haven't lost a whole lot of weight yet, but I'm making better choices and FEEL better.

I wish you luck! You CAN do it:-)
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    242 to 209? Wow, let me just say, congratulations on your weight loss and progress. :flowerforyou: That's nothing to scoff at!
  • rjt547
    rjt547 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with my eating disorder for most of my life. I remember first restricting when I was 9 years old. I never suffered any trauma, but I grew up in an extended family where my grandfather was very critical of everyone's weight and praised his daughters when they were able to control themselves and not eat. My mom did not have these behaviors but her sisters and my grandmother did, and I guess I was around it enough to be affected. I remember when I was 14 taking off my shirt and standing in the mirror with my aunt, who had also taken off her shirt, while my grandma compared us to see whose bones stuck out more. My restrictive eating was getting in the way in school and so in college I didn't bring a scale and tried to focus on my education. I gained 50 lbs my freshman year. I was 155 when I met my husband, gained 20lbs in grad school, and despite my efforts I GAINED 5 more before our wedding and another 10 on the honeymoon. I was 190 when I got pregnant in 2013 and now 10 months postpartum I'm at 195. I would like to get pregnant again but want to start off at a lower weight so I don't see 200 when pregnant, which means I'd like to lose at least 25/30 lbs before the summer. My restrictive eating morphed into binge eating that has resulted in a 100lb weight gain in the last 10 years. I exercise and eat right all day, but at night or when I'm by myself I binge and when I try to limit myself I just end up eating more. If I'm out to eat with my family who praised my restricting before I eat really high calorie food. I call it my "*kitten* you" food, as in "I never ate what I wanted as a teen, so *kitten* you I'm going to eat it now." When I limit or put restrictions on what I eat I feel miserable like I did when I was anorexic, even though I am obese now and need to make the healthy choices. I have to change my mindset to want to be skinnier and healthy for my kid(s) instead of for the reasons why I restricted as a teen. I also don't want to pass on this relationship with food to my kids, because it sucks. If they ate when they were hungry and stopped when they weren't, and didn't think twice about it, that would make me very happy.

Any suggestions on how to change my thinking, because I've never thought normally about food and eating and I don't know where to start.