Exercise Beginner Looking For Advice on Running

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm 41 years old and haven't done any *real* exercise since high school. I put on headphones and dance around the house for an hour every other day to AWOLNATION and Imagine Dragons... and I do walk a few miles per week.

The weather is getting nicer and I hike but I'd *really* like to do more at the track. I am hoping some of you were at one point seriously overweight and have some advice for how I can go about this.

Aside from being *fat*, I'm perfectly healthy...so I *CAN* do it. The *how* is what gets me stuck. I'll be going to the local high school track soon and I want to know if splitting up the track into intervals of sprinting is a good start ( walk, sprint, walk, sprint, walk, sprint) until I can run a full lap and what about running the bleachers? Should I do one row every time I get to them or maybe one row the first lap, two rows the second, etc. I would actually like to be able to RUN a 5k instead of walking it! I know I need to *build up* my endurance. I just don't know the best way to do it and would appreciate any experienced runners advice!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There are programs called Couch To 5K (C25K) which will help you get into running. If you have to repeate days that's fine. You will start out walking more then running but over time you will start running more then walking. The programs are found online as printouts and podcasts. I have an app called C25K from zen labs that I use. You can put music on there so you have something that can help you through the long runs.

Also make sure you get a really good pair of running shoes thatfit really well.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My advice is boring but it worked for me. Slow. Run slower than you think you need to. Stupid slow. Run so slow that you're embarrassed to call it jogging. When you get winded, try not to stop, slow down even more instead. Before you know it, you will be able to do a full mile.

This is how I began in January of 2013. In two weeks I have a half-marathon that I am totally ready for.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You may want to walk the straights and jog the curves. As you become more used to running, you can speed up and jog the straights and jog faster the curves. I wouldn't run the bleachers because it is stressful on the knees. I think there is a couch to 5k program out there somewhere and Google can find it for you.

The best exercise is the one that you do. Best of luck to you.
  • estefonek
    Options
    There's a program called Couch to 5K designed to take you from "couch potato" (their words, not mine) to running a 5K. They have a really good free app called C25K also. You start out with running 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds for 3 days a week, and work your way up over 9 weeks. Good luck!
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I joined a running class recently. I had done other types of excercise but nver running. There is a trainer, and other people so everyone can encourage each other. I like it a lot. I think the c25k app is really good too.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run! The app on the smart phone is designed to get you running 5k and it makes it really interesting and exciting! Way better than just going for a run. It places your music in between the story too!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    First: walking the track, or jogging / running at whatever pace is comfortable. No knee injuries or pulled muscles that ruin your chances of keeping up this momentum.

Last: sprinting up and down the bleachers. I remember doing this for lacrosse conditioning and it was the best.

Somewhere in-between those two things, you just kind of run and work up to intervals. Start slow, make sure your body is capable of these things. When I was overweight, my wife and I seriously just walked for a month or two, but did it briskly and on a regular basis. After you're comfortable with jogging / running for your entire workout, then you can incorporate interval stuff. I'm sure it's a great exercise to sprint every other 1/4 mile, walk / recover every other 1/4 mile. But I'd build up to that.

My biggest piece of advice: make it fun! If you don't have fun, you won't want to do it anymore. So listen to music, give yourself rewards, do it with friends or pets, go at a slower pace somedays (and don't feel like you're failing). Just make it do-able and you'll probably keep doing it.

Congratulations and encouragement to you, citizen! Running is now one of my favorite hobbies. I abhor the fact that, currently, I have this awesome-huge bloodclot that prevents me from using my leg for exercise.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've read all of the comments about C25K, and that is a great place to start. For myself, I set up a good walking base prior to c25k of 4 miles at least 5 days a week. I still do this actually. I found it got my body used to just moving for a decent amount of time and was gentle on the joints. I did this for ~2 months before actually starting c25K. You should get a gait analysis performed (most running stores can do this and recommend a proper shoe for you (Big box stores don't do this), as well as do some research into proper form and stretching techniques before you start the c25k (This can help prevent injuries.). Once you start the program (there are many, and are all very similar, so find one you think you like and stick with it) follow the times for walking/running. If you have a hard time completing a workout (You think to yourself "I can't do this"), repeat that week the following week. I had to repeat a couple of weeks myself. During this time, it would probably be very helpful to start a strength training program specific to running (this will help alleviate muscle imbalances and injuries).Once you've completed the c25k, go run a couple of 5k's and, if you enjoyed it, try a 10K training program.

I didn't follow this advice and my first year was a train wreck of injuries. I've scaled things back a little and have tried to approach things a little smarter in regards to form/stretching/foam rolling/strength training. I'm now running 8 miles happily, faster than ever, and pain free.
  • gyps13s0u1
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for your responses! I truly appreciate it! You all had something to say that I can utilize.

I am checking into the C25K, seems like what I had in mind! I have no clue why it never dawned on me to get some running in while I hike (my truest love), I actually had to see *trail runs* on C25K page *duh*.

Thanks again!