Rewards to Motivate?

Options
Do you reward yourself for hitting specific weight loss goals? I'm looking for some "out of the box" rewards for myself for every 5lbs lost. I don't have the money to spoil myself with new clothes EVERY 5lbs but I could work that in a couple of times.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have a cheat day every time you lose 5 lbs.
  • I really don't want to reward myself for a job well done with food. I struggle with binge eating and feel like i'm getting a grasp on it, I don't want to re-open that can of worms!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I usually go get a new workout dvd since I workout at home ........or a manicure/pedi............or a new cookbook
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Throw $1 in a jar every time you work out. Once you get to 100 workouts you have a little stash to go buy new clothes ;)
  • jmht345
    jmht345 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    New song for the iPod, especially if you use it for your workouts. New nail polish, massage, new yoga mat/exercise equipment, new book, kitchen gadget are some other ideas.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I never reward myself with food.....I am not a dog. I go shopping
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't reward every 5 lbs. But when I reach my goal I'm going to buy a fancy new dressage saddle for my horse and me. At 100 lbs I'm going to buy a new bike.

I like the idea of throwing some money in a jar for every workout. Maybe you could do that for every 2 lbs or something or every 5 lbs depending on your goals.
  • Throw $1 in a jar every time you work out. Once you get to 100 workouts you have a little stash to go buy new clothes ;)

I really like this idea! Since this is the part I really struggle with, making time for myself to exercise. Could be the swift kick in the *kitten* I need.

Thanks!!!
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    The only reward that I decided to give myself (so far) is to get a new smoker when I get to 110 lost.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am stealing the dollar in a jar per workout idea, that's genius!
  • New song for the iPod, especially if you use it for your workouts. New nail polish, massage, new yoga mat/exercise equipment, new book, kitchen gadget are some other ideas.

A new book! I love that idea!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    New book for my kindle.....for me, reading=not eating!!!
  • helsbelz78
    helsbelz78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THAT is a great idea! Gonna go dig out my old piggy bank now.....
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I use things like Achievemint to earn points redeemable for money. No investment other than time and effort using programs like MFP. Not a quick money maker but definitely a goal setter!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Get my hair colored, a pedicure or new clothes - since the old ones don't fit anymore... ;) (Ok maybe not every reached -5 pound goal - but every 10 for sure!)
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Throw $1 in a jar every time you work out. Once you get to 100 workouts you have a little stash to go buy new clothes ;)

I really like this idea! Since this is the part I really struggle with, making time for myself to exercise. Could be the swift kick in the *kitten* I need.

Thanks!!!

Great idea, I used a similar method quitting smoking and liked it
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to get a new fitness app (like runtastic apps) or a fitness item like my Aria scale or new running shoes. My most recent addition is a heart rate monitor to help me train better for running. My thinking is that these items also help with future fitness and weight loss.
  • margaretchrys
    margaretchrys Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take a photo of yourself in the clothes that now fit, and get rid of the ones that are now too big. I've just worn a dress I've not worn for 9 years!

Brag about it to someone who really loves you!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Two things: I use the PACT app to track my workouts and receive monetary rewards each week for working out as I've pledged. I also set specific goals, not all of them weight related, and I give myself rewards for each attained. Some are rewards in and of themselves, like "Goal: I want to fit into the pants that make me feel like a cow. Reward: I look awesome in a pair of pants I couldn't wear!"
    Rewards: Spa treatments, mani/pedi, overnight stay somewhere nearby from a groupon deal, new shoes, new workout wear/gear, etc.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    These are all really great ideas. bump.