Fell Off

Good Morning all,

I have fell off and I am now paying for it. I lost 17lbs and have gained back 9lbs. I am very depressed/down about this. I know work and stress played a HUGE part in this weight gain and I want to get back on track. It is very hard when I am an emotional eater, and needless to say when I am stress I eat and not the good for you stuff. I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced this and am just looking for some friendly advice, words of encouragement, or maybe a new idea on how to deal with all.

Replies

• Sjarkey15
    Sjarkey15 Posts: 57 Member
    I've have learned over the last year that falling off was not my problem! People make mistakes, it's okay! My "problem" was saying " I've screwed up this week, I'll just start again Monday" or "Ate McDonald's" for breakfast, guess my day is already ruined"

Get back on track immediately, go grab an apple or a handful of almonds and just think positively! You can do this, don't let your mind get the best of you.

I'm in the same boat, stress to me is the hardest part of losing weight... When I'm stressed, I just want a damn chocolate bar. Some days I can move past it, other days I just don't care. It starts with some chocolate, then I grab a handful of chips and before you know it, I'm laying in bed at the end of the day regretting it because it didn't make me feel better, it only made me feel worse!

My advice, find someone that might have the same goals as you. When you're having a tough day, you'll have someone to talk to, or just flat out complain to because you know they'll understand!
  • Aprylw
    Aprylw Posts: 2
    OH My Goodness, everything you just said is me. I start with a little Hershey nugget, then a bag of lays, and by the time I get home it is a pint of cookies and cream ice cream. I do find myself let's start over on Monday or the following week. It does not help either that everyone at work eats out like everyday. I will definitely try starting over immediately. The positive people in the same situation may be a little difficult at work, but will definitely try. Thanks for listening/reading and your response was most helpful.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Social eating is the worst! What if you let everyone know that you're trying to lose a few pounds and need to know what place you'll be going to for lunch the next day? That way, you can go home, look up the nutritional information and plan around that? Or suggest trying some other places that you already know the calorie contents of? Or you could have cute "bring your own lunch" days where you all bring your own things in and eat them together! I'm sure everyone will understand and be more than happy to help out - you may even get a 'diet' buddy out of it! :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    It's not easy AT ALL, but when you are stressed, try to replace that urge to snack with exercise. Go for a walk, or to the gym, or hop on a bike, walk flights of stairs, whatever. Distract yourself for 30 minutes with exercise. Sometimes my stress cravings go away after that. Sometimes they don't. Like I said, it is NOT EASY, but nothing worth it never is. Find what works for you. Forgive yourself when you slip, and move on. Every decision you make is important. If you make the right decision 50, 60, 80% of the time, that is always better than 0% of the time.

And, everything that Sjarkey said. :wink:
  • kdv160
    kdv160 Posts: 16 Member
    You are SO not alone!! Feel free to message me ANY time you need to vent or just take your mind off food! I'm "restarting" (again) today...join me! If it's ok, I'll add you as a friend on here and if you want...add me too! Take care and take it one minute at a time!
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Everyone has this issue YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! I fell off last week and have to start new and fresh today! Start right today and you will be fine. You got this and good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

TL;DR: you made changes to lose the initial weight that were not sustainable. make the cart easier to stay on