Getting out of the all or nothing mindset...

Options
So, I eat a donut as a snack and my entire day is ruined. I may as well eat like crap the rest of the day and stop counting calories.

Then God forbid I begin again on any day other than a Sunday. Is that normal?? Is anyone else like this?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I definitely lean that way, but usually always plan on starting over the next day. I blow my diet & eat something I shouldn't, & even though often it hasn't even put me over on calories *yet*, I just keep eating. But I've really tried to get into the mindset of START OVER NOW...THIS MOMENT...DON'T WAIT. So the good thing is that now I find it happening less often, & if it does happen it doesn't take me as long to get on track. Sometimes it even helps to say out loud..."STOP IT!" when you start out of control eating, or thinking that way. I had this quote on my fridge for a while...

"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around." --from movie "Vanilla Sky"

All the best in your battle. ;-)
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    I use to be! I now know that I can begin again Anytime! We are not perfect beings and missteps are bound to happen. Document everything. Look at it, acknowledge, and start over. Its not the end of the world. New beginnings can happen anytime.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It's normal but not fair to you. Unless there is food that you can't eat for medical reasons then add your snacks into your plan. This will stop you from starting over a zillion times or feeling like crap because you ate something you enjoyed.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Count everything every day good or bad. Its the only way to get a handle what the cause and effect of what you eat. The more I know the easier it is to resist what is obviously bad for me.
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    Well, I have taken control over my brain (today) and hopefully every day here on after. I actually did have a donut, I logged it and I refuse to let it control me. I still have 800 calories left, even after lunch!

Why does everything seem to be a battle!!? :grumble:
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Remember what another poster said, we'll all fail at times, but what's important is that we keep up the fight. When I get off track, I like watching one of these 2 videos to help get me back in the mindset. Hope they encourage you as well...

"It ain't about how hard ya hit..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsXvmLHx4m4&feature=related

"Come back UNTOUCHABLE!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqfg4dPEueI&feature=relmfu
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I agree with others that say log it, keep logging. That helps me. Pre-planning my foods for the day also helps but not always great at that.

When I feel so defeated I have a picture with this saying on it that I read: "Giving up your goal because of one set back is like slashing your other three tires because you got a flat."

For the start on Sunday thing - I used to do that too. I had other random 'rules' that allowed me to put it off or gave me a free ticket to indulge for a set amount of time. That was me making excuses to myself. ;) I no longer do that because I really want this, I want it more than a free week. I still have issues with turning things around mid-day. A day goes wrong, it ends wrong, which is the same thing really just on a smaller scale.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!! My brain is what has kept me fat all these years!! Stupid brain!!! When I think back to all the "bad" foods I ate that initiated the all or nothing thinking, it really wouldnt have been that bad!! And for me it was always, I will start on Monday!!! Monday eluded me many weeks!!!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Nah, whatever happens today has no affect on tomorrow in regards to my eating plan. Sometimes there is just a day where the treat may be irresistable :ohwell:
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is very true for me. Especially when I get a good streak going. I begin to think I can take a day off, but one turns into a few.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Well, I have taken control over my brain (today) and hopefully every day here on after. I actually did have a donut, I logged it and I refuse to let it control me. I still have 800 calories left, even after lunch!

Why does everything seem to be a battle!!? :grumble:

A donut is not going to blow your progress. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. If you still have calories left then you are good to go. Read this article http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And whenever you have the time read this one too http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:

ETA: I do believe that if there's a specific type of food that will lead you to binge (and go over your calories) then try to avoid it. This applies to me with ice cream, so whenever I want ice cream instead of buying a pint I buy a small one that I plan on eating that night because if I buy a pint I'll eat the whole damn container :laugh: But if you have a treat and are still under your calorie goal then you haven't ruined your day.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Look at the big picture...a donut (or cookie or candy bar) shouldn't be seen as a fail or horrible or whatever anyone wants to call it. Once I got to a point mentally where nothing is completely off limits, the urge to splurge wasn't nearly as bad. The choices got easier overall but I still allow the donut in my diet if that's what I want to spend calories on. And if I go over a little today, so be it. It's not the end of the world and guess what? The weight is still coming off. I think if you learn to not beat yourself up over what lots of people think of as a failure, you'll get better at what you think is the healthier choice. My all or nothing was diet & exercise, and I've yo-yo'd about 8 times in the last 20 years. This time, I've backed off my workouts & upped my calories and nothing is off limits. I'm losing weight, I feel better & I think THIS is a lifestyle I can live with going forward. And if you think of it as a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet, then hopefully it will no longer matter that you have a specific starting day, as it should be your goal for every day. Good luck to you!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    To me, a donut isn't a fail. It's a choice. If I make the choice to eat a donut, then I have other choices to make:
    1. Do I workout more to make up the difference.
    2. Do I skip some other calories to make up the difference.
    3. Enjoy and just move on, knowing that in time, you can still meet your goals by making different choices in the future.
    My success has been based on a combination of 1&2 in order to stay within calorie budget at least on a weekly basis. While I have used #3 sparingly for birthday, vacation, etc., to let myself off the hook in advance, I do typically still implement #1 & 2 to come pretty close to budget.

Just think of it the same way you would a financial budget. Imagine you've just charged a Final Sale/No Refunds, non-budgeted impulse-buy item on your credit card. You can't return it and get your money back (just like you can't return the donut), so you have to make some choices:
    a. Do something to make some extra money to pay for it (overtime, odd job, sell something)
    b. Do without something else you had money budget for
    c. Pay for it over time, knowing that it may cost you a little more in the end but may lead you to consider your options BEFORE making the next impulse buy.
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    "Giving up your goal because of one set back is like slashing your other three tires because you got a flat."

^^^^^^ Love this.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I used to be. I asked myself if I was going to live the rest of my without eating another donut. The answer is no. The difficult part is limiting to 1 donut (or 1 serving of food). Some days I just tell myself f**k it and have an extra donut/cookie/cheese. I feel my mental health is as important as physical health.
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    It's good that you realise that you can try to think another way :) Then U can change Your thinking
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    So, I eat a donut as a snack and my entire day is ruined. I may as well eat like crap the rest of the day and stop counting calories.

Then God forbid I begin again on any day other than a Sunday. Is that normal?? Is anyone else like this?

This was me for literally years. I don't know why this time is different other than I'm all in determined to get it right once and for all. If you mess up (and we all do), acknowledge it and move on. You can't fail if you never quit.
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Never think of it as a set back or a failure. Look at it from a positive view as a opportunity to improve your thinking and keep going. this is not a start over situation is a moving forward situation where the donuts is the key. You see the donuts and you move on. Eat or don't eat that is a choice and opportunity to get to the next step. Move forward by thinking and being healthy.