Whats a good age to start cursing?

Options
EmbraceTheDarkSide
EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
I'm cool with starting at 8 years old. Young enough for them to be "cool" in school for it... old enough that they know not to use it in front of grandma.

Replies

• cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'd say around 12
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    2-3, as it's adorable. And as Cool Aunt Amber, I get to be the teacher :drinker:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I think around 12. But, they shouldn't do it around parents until they move out. Controlling their language around us is good practice for the work place.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I vote never. :angry:
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I agree on the never part.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i vote for double digits, and i am only ok with SOME words .
    absolute no on the F bomb ,
    and time and place .
    i say , if they cant hear the word on normal (not movies) tv , then its not ok ,
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Certainly not until they can understand that there is a time and place, and that it's not something that is appropriate for school, for example. They're *going* to do it. The more taboo it is, the more they'll be drawn to it. And yes, you can make that argument for a lot of things, but swearing is pretty harmless, let's be honest.
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I agree on the never part.

I third this.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    why start?
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think around middle school...before that its funny but I don't think they have the ability to control who they say it but by middle school they should and hopefully respect people enough to know when and where it might be appropriate.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    None, But I did it about age 12.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'd say about 97 or 98 should be about the right age. Or maybe never!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    2-3, as it's adorable. And as Cool Aunt Amber, I get to be the teacher :drinker:

When my son was four he was asking me to put in the Britney "Sprey" cd. I told him it was Britney "Spears". The the cd started and a moment later, my son says, "mommy! It isn't Britney Spears! It Britney Bit--!!". I just told him not to say what Britney says.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i vote for double digits, and i am only ok with SOME words .
    absolute no on the F bomb ,
    and time and place .
    i say , if they cant hear the word on normal (not movies) tv , then its not ok ,

I agree with this. Kids are going to curse, but hopefully they know when to keep it zipped.

I have a mouth like a sailor, but I never cursed while living at home. To this day it feels weird to say the F word in front of my dad lol.
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    Why start?... Great arguments are lost that way...being eloquent is better
  • Moonpies_for_Misfits
    Options
    4 years.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    why start?

whats wrong with having a wide selection of words in your vocabulary?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I can't even get my 11 year old to read aloud the "bad" words that are in some of her books. (*kitten*, damn, hell) I don't know where she gets this. It sure as *kitten* isn't from me.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Usually right around the time that they tell their first racial joke.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    12-14 is fine with me as long as its in moderation and not just to say for the sake of it. Some express feelings better than other common words. There are some words or phrases that are used by kids and adults that are way more vulgar than some curse words IMHO.