Whats a good age to start cursing?

Options

Replies

• Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Depends. Are we talking about your typical Haitian voodoo curses or the Italian "Malocchio" curses.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm in the NEVER camp. My dad always said that people who curse lack the intelligence and creativity to come up with alternatives. I'm not saying that I never curse, but I teach kids who "can't help it" because it just "slips out," and that gets them into a lot of trouble.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I started cussing at the age of 2, my first sentence was "This is BS", my dad was to thank for this, constantly cursing. But I vote never.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    When your old enough to defend yourself!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    why start?

whats wrong with having a wide selection of words in your vocabulary?

Nothing! You can teach kids all kinds of words to use to emphasize their point - they don't have to be curse words.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My father told me that curse words are for when you are so mad you just don't have anything else to say. I asked how I would know when I was old enough to swear? He said "when you've gotten old enough to figure out how to not get caught doing it." He was right.
  • Seeds45
    Seeds45 Posts: 90
    Options
    First word...
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Why start?... Great arguments are lost that way...being eloquent is better

this
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    why start?

whats wrong with having a wide selection of words in your vocabulary?

Nothing! You can teach kids all kinds of words to use to emphasize their point - they don't have to be curse words.

I'd like them to have the nuclear option available to them
  • MagdalenDreams
    Options
    Never
  • MagdalenDreams
    Options
    Why start?... Great arguments are lost that way...being eloquent is better

this
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ideally, my children will never cuss. Realistically, at 15 if I hear "****" on occasion I will give a disapproving look and move on. The f bomb is not okay until they are out of my house and then only if they watch who they say it in front of. I don't think cussing is ever a good thing but I do it, so I can't be mad at my kids when they eventually do it.
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Im not a big fan of swearing at all.
    It puts me off when a man will swear constantly. Theres better words to use than swear words to show how your feeling.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    2-3, as it's adorable. And as Cool Aunt Amber, I get to be the teacher :drinker:

I disagree, I do not think it's adorable at all. When I hear a small child cuss, I think that child must have some lousy parents.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Im not a big fan of swearing at all.
    It puts me off when a man will swear constantly. Theres better words to use than swear words to show how your feeling.

I most definitely agree! :smile:
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I work around pre-teens (ages 11-14) and I believe they should know when it's appropriate. Most wind up being penalized for cussing in front of adults. Teens have a lack of proper censoring, and that's definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration when allowing kids to swear. Swearing's just dirty, why should we be letting immature minds access immature words? We should be teaching children how to properly express themselves without using poor vocabulary.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    People need special words to convey emotion.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    2-3, as it's adorable. And as Cool Aunt Amber, I get to be the teacher :drinker:

I disagree, I do not think it's adorable at all. When I hear a small child cuss, I think that child must have some lousy parents.

My rule by 8 was don't cuss in front of grandma, I also watched rated R movies. I understood the concept of context and how to use it. Glad to know my parents were such failures :huh:

I get it that some people don't like cussing, raise your kids how you like, but seriously, there are worse things a kid could be learning than a few controversial words.

ETA: The vocabulary argument annoys me as well, I had a better vocabulary in 3rd grade than most college students (mostly because I was going to my parents law school courses with them). My vocab has probably gone down significantly since then, but cussing had nothing to do with it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

I understood the concept of context and how to use it.

Whatever age this happens. If you understand there are times that are not appropriate and times that is is, and aware of who is around you and so on, then you are old enough.