Tips for water consumption

Options
My biggest struggle with healthy eating and drinking is my water consumption!
I always struggle to get my 8 cups a day in. I usually manage about 1 or 2 a day, cos of how busy I am at work.
How do you guys keep on top of your water consumption?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't just come in the form of a glass of plain water. Surely you have more than 2 drinks per day? Most of my water comes in the form of hot tea. The only time I really drink plain water is when working out.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get a 16 oz. bottle of water and some Dasani flavor drops and keep filling my bottle whenever it's empty. 4 bottles is your 8 servings of water per day and it's never a bad thing to go over! I also have a hard time just drinking water so the flavor drops are a huge help, if I get a little flavor with it I'm less likely to drink a coke. Hope this helps!
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't just come in the form of a glass of plain water. Surely you have more than 2 drinks per day? Most of my water comes in the form of hot tea. The only time I really drink plain water is when working out.

Nope not really. When im at work il have a quick sandwich and that'll be it for my food. Ive never been a someone who enjoys fizzy drinks and soda. So i only really drink coffee, which at most dehydrates me!
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I get a 16 oz. bottle of water and some Dasani flavor drops and keep filling my bottle whenever it's empty. 4 bottles is your 8 servings of water per day and it's never a bad thing to go over! I also have a hard time just drinking water so the flavor drops are a huge help, if I get a little flavor with it I'm less likely to drink a coke. Hope this helps!

Thanks hun. il have to give those a try
  • I_love_to_ride
    Options
    At work I have a 24 oz. mug that I fill and drink 3 times each day. I also add flavor drops to it. That keeps me drinking more that if it was just plain water. :smile:
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Those flavor drops rock!! They even have a sweet tea one at wally world that is petty good too! Try drinking your water in a glass with a straw....it seems to go much faster! =)
  • brittany2188
    Options
    I drink through a straw. I don't know why, it sounds weird, but it helps.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I have a 24oz bottle with a straw. The straw really does help. Just keep it with you at all times and give it your best shot. Some days I get 8 cups, sometimes 3, sometimes 20. Depends on how much of a priority I make it, haha.
  • CrinkleMarie
    CrinkleMarie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink through a straw. I don't know why, it sounds weird, but it helps.

I do the same thing and find I drink a lot more than if I dont.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The 2 biggest things that help me drink water:

1) drink it with a straw or out of a squirt top style water bottle
    2) flavor it with the liquid no-calories drops (like mio or crystal light)

I don't really like plain water, so #2 REALLY helps me drink a lot of water.
  • myaiki
    myaiki Posts: 10
    Options
    I hate water as well, and I can't sip it throughout the day. That's why I just chug 16 oz of water 4 times a day. First thing in the morning, before lunch, before dinner, and right before bed.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When I was training myself to drink water, I stopped drinking all other beverages until it became a habit. Now I drink only water, about 80 oz a day and one glass of unsweetened iced tea. If I drink all my water, I may have a diet soda (gingerly, sprite) as treat at night. Occasionally have a hot cup of tea if I need something hot.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light FTW!! I never drank plain water as it tasted so bad growing up (well water). I'll put lemon in it or lime and its super tasty but I find my SIGG helps. I have a 24 oz one (comes to 3 servings of water) and I put 1 crystal light single serve package in and BOOM!! Instant yummy. I asked my doctor about them though (health wise cuz of the fake surgar) and his reply was better those than soda any day of the week.
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips! I also have problems getting my fluids in. I am trying these!!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I don't go anywhere with a water bottle. My rule of thumb is if my eyes land on it I have to drink some. you will be surprised at how much you will actually crave water once you start drinking it regularily. I am up to 10-12 glasses a day. My fiance says I am going to float away. LOL.

:drinker: of water

I also invested in a big 5 gallon bottle (I now have 3) and a manual pump (amazon.com) and found a place I can refill it for only a 1.25. Our water at home is filled with lime scale and clogs any filter we try to buy. I coudn't afford to keep buying bottled water ever week (actually I was tired of the kids leaving the bottles all over the house) and this way we can all be encouraged to drink more water. its alwasy available and ready to drink. I love it! Cheers... glug glug glug
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I bought a big pretty pitcher and a matching cup that I keep in my cubicle, that way I can just fill it in the morning or at lunch and chug all day!
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I aim for 15 cups a day using a water bottle that holds 24 oz. It is still cool here so I warm my water up (not hot, just warm) and add a few drops of lemon or lime juice. In the past I have tried using extracts to flavor with success, too. I do not count coffee, tea or flavored zero calorie drinks as water.
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge coffee drinker. I totally get your struggle.

My rule is if I have my cell phone on me, I have my water bottle on me. My cell is something that's with me at all times, everywhere I go, even if it's on vibrate or silent. If I keep my water bottle (literally!) in front of me, I tend to drink from it more.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I just keep a 1.5liter next to my desk at work I am constantly takeing a drink we have bottled water at work.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I have a 74 oz bottle that I fill twice a day... Makes me go to the bathroom like crazy, but it comes with the territory. :)