Am I over reacting?

Options
So I haven't been on here for a while , but I started off at 198 and I am 177 now. Any way the real issue is it was my friends birthday last night so our dinner wasn't the healthiest , so I weighed myself this morning an was 179 that's 2 pounds in 1 day that iv put on is this for real it's made me feel like crap an really unmotivated me

Replies

• kespinoza2013
    kespinoza2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would chalk it up to water weight...maybe you ate a lot of sodium and didn't drink enough water...unless you ate 7,000 calories in a day it's very unrealistic that is is actual weight gain....one cheat day here and there hasn't derailed me yet :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A normal daily fluctuation. You can vary up to 5 pounds a day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A normal daily fluctuation. You can vary up to 5 pounds a day.
    ^This.

Be sure to take photos & measurements, too. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Rubycoral
    Options
    It's the feeling that I'm left with that's really getting to me I feel so unmotivated now iv cried an then tried to tell myself it doesn't matter it's just the worst feeling
  • kespinoza2013
    kespinoza2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been there and done that too..sometimes it's good to cry.....when I first started the scale didn't budge for weeks and sometimes went up I was so angry and frustrated but I just kept going...don't let the scale control you.....I used to weigh myself every day but I got away from that and do it once a week....to keep yourself motivated look how far you have come...
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Weight loss isn't linear, meaning every single time you get on the scale you won't see a smaller number. One day up a lb, next day down 2lbs, third day up lb etc. You want to see a downward trend over time, day to day changes don't mean a lot.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yes ... you are over reacting. You cannot gain two pounds of fat in one day without at least a 7000 calorie surplus and even then, it won't happen in a single day.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    salt/water weight and yes....I think you are overreacting. One meal shouldn't derail you.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If today isn't your normal weigh-in day then please stop doing that to yourself. We know what the scale will read after a day of a little over indulgence. LOL! If the rest of your week was on track then don't stress yourself out. Tomorrow is a new day to start over fresh.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, what you are going through is exactly why most diets fail, but you just got to keep going. I think I was 1000 Calories over on friday, gained 3 pounds. Saturday I just went to the gym did spin in the morning for 30 mins and ate exactly what I was going to, rested that evening, it was all gone Sunday. Its all about doing what you've planned, the trend is still downward even if the day it went up.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    2 lbs = overreacting. Sorry.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's the feeling that I'm left with that's really getting to me I feel so unmotivated now iv cried an then tried to tell myself it doesn't matter it's just the worst feeling
    If you don't understand how weight fluctuates on a daily basis even without overeating, and that eating more than you normally do would make it fluctuate more than normal (extra food/waste in your system, extra sodium causing water retention, extra carbs causing water retention)... then, no it's not an over reaction. If you do understand all that, then yes it's an over reaction. :flowerforyou:
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yikes, why would you go and jump on the scale the day after over eating?? You were just begging to get demotivated. A better solution would have been to log everything you ate as accurately as you could and see how far over you may have gone and then spend the next week skimming calories from your daily allotment to make up for it. Odds are you didn't go over by 6,000 calories (which is how many calories over maintenance calories you would need in order to gain two pounds), you may have only gone over by 500 cal, maybe a thousand which still wouldn't necessarily cause a weight gain, but might just equal a non weightloss week. They happen, get used to it, it's not the end of the world. Although I'm not much on exercise, a lot of people ramp up their exercise to help burn off extra calories.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It's been said above: It's water weight, it's 2lbs, if you weigh again tonight you'll weigh differently (probably MORE, omgznoes) and you'll weigh differently again tomorrow morning. Freaking out over 2lbs is like freaking out is like weighing before and after drinking water, and wondering how water made you "fat". Bodies don't work that way.