Random question

Options
cbarn025
cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
How many people are doing what they wanted to do when they were kids/teens? Career wise I mean? IF not what's stopping you?

Replies

• EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    When I was 4, I wanted to be a penguin. Sometimes I waddle in mourning.

Then I wanted to be an "inventor." I kinda invent things now... like excuses. I'm very good at that sort of invention.
  • kikif617
    kikif617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid/teen I always wanted to be a pediatrician, now that I'm older and have my own children. I realize I don't really like other peoples kids besides my own. I wish all kids to be healthy, but I'll rather not be the person that check their health and provide the medicine.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a photographer or artist. Photography wise I lack the camera and equipment. Artist wise, I lack the confidence but I want to go to school to learn more techniques and meet like minded individuals. I think I will get there though.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    when I was 5, I wanted to be a cowboy. Well, I will have some acreage in a couple of years...that's the plan anyway....and will get a couple of horses to put on said land. Other than that, I have a lifted 2012 Z71...so, I got close. :wink:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    no.

what's stopping me is that as i grew older what i wanted to do as a career mattered far less than what i wanted to do with the time that i wasn't working
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I wanted to do something that had to do with animals, like be a vet or train horses. Now my husband and I are dog trainers (and have fostered dogs for 11 years). That's not the job that pays the bills, but it's the job we enjoy doing and hope eventually it will pay the bills so I can quit the day job that DOES pay the bills and concentrate totally on the dog training/dog boarding end of things.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    no.

what's stopping me is that as i grew older what i wanted to do as a career mattered far less than what i wanted to do with the time that i wasn't working

+1
    i'm making art and music and bringing joy to others in doing so, so i'm good. :drinker:
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be inventor, but was sad as I thought everything was invented - in essence I don't have the imagination to be an inventor.

I wanted to be a scientist - My primary degree is physics/maths, so close enough.

I wanted to work with numbers - Got that.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a Policeman and a Detective.

I got to do that for 14 years - but then realized it didn't pay well enough for what I wanted so I moved on.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a princess, a model, and a lawyer.

Princess and model are out for obvious reasons. Lawyer out because I went a different direction in college, still regret that.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a teacher as a kid but I didn't follow through.

What is stopping me? I don't have the patience to deal with other people's kids all day long, particularly other people's teenagers.

Edited to add stuff.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a princess, a model, and a lawyer.

Princess and model are out for obvious reasons. Lawyer out because I went a different direction in college, still regret that.

I heard Spain might need a new princess.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Nope...as a kid I thought it would be neat to be an artist, and I'll always be an artist in some form just not professionally. But as a teenager I thought to do anything in an office, anything not strictly blue collar and minimum wage, was to "sell out". And now as an adult I see the many benefits to things like college degrees, insurance, a nice place to lay my head at night, health benefits, etc. So I have an office job and a 'career' that is quite vague but provides reliable income and so on. Perhaps most importantly to me, I'm not crazy-stressed on a regular basis and have enough time and energy left to have fun!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a mermaid. :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet. I loved animals and wanted nothing more than to make them better when they felt bad. During middle school I had a job shadow day and was so excited to shadow the towns vet. OMG I hated it. It was horrible. No offense to vets but there's no way I could put almost my whole arm up any animals butt and there's no way I could jab a very large needle into the neck of any animal. The only part of that day I liked was removing the horns from newborn cows. I aplaud anyone that can do all these things but it's just not for me.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up I wanted to be a teacher. In fact I got my Bachelors and Masters in Education. I taught 1st grade for three wonderful years in Miami, Florida.

I moved back home to Canada (couldn't get the paper work to stay) and struggled to find a teaching position. After a few years of not finding one, I realized I couldn't see myself doing that anymore.

About three and a half years ago I went back to school (I had been working in a call center and was NOT doing that for the rest of my life!) and got my paralegal degree. Best decision I've ever made! I've been working in a small law office now for 2.5 years and absolutely love it!
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I was kid I always thought I'd be a laywer - then I went to law school and realized: I don't have nearly enough patience to deal with all the bullsh*t.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a ghost or a fairy

accomplished both
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid to admit; I was stupid as a child. I no longer have any desire to be batman, or a cowboy! Plus I think my current job pays better!