Does anybody use Bodymedia arm band ?

Options
John31TL
John31TL Posts: 140 Member
Hi im thinking of buying the Bodymedia arm band, does anyone use one. Im looking at getting the non wireless version.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

John

http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Armband-Packages

Replies

• quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    John, I had a Bodymedia armband and had to return it because I developed a rash where the metal touched the skin. Now have a Fitbit ultra wireless tracker and love it even though it doesn't/can't t read body temperature. I learned online that rashes are quite common with Bodymedia, and with the Fitbit Flex (which is worn around the wrist) which has just been recalled. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions.:smile:
  • running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have one but haven't been using it lately. Been thinking about using it again though. I'll post my question in a different thread though! Any questions, please ask. :)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Been using that exact one for about a year. No rash, good data input, don't even notice I'm wearing it now.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have one. Love the data you can get from it. My only complaint would be it's kind of clunky. You have to pay about an $8 subscription for the data, which didn't bug me much but I've heard people complain about that too.

As for the rash, you might experience it the first week or so. Get some alcohol swabs and wipe it down before you get in the shower and the rash will go away quickly.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have one. Forgot I had it, and just started using it again. Very disappointing to see how low my calorie burn actually is when I work out so hard.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is the Fitbit Force that has been recalled - not the Flex
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I love mine! I realized I had been undereating forever which is why I've had so many binge issues. I've had mine since June or July 2013 and have had the most success in losing weight and keeping it off since then. It's a very eye-opening gadget.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have one. I do have the wireless one, which I like because it will use bluetooth to connect to an app on my cell phone. Otherwise you have to wait until you plug it into your computer. I like the more instant gratification. It is interesting to see which types of exercise burn more calories, and I found it motivating to try to burn more calories every day. Some of the automatic feedback on the website bothered me. It kept telling me that I was losing weight too slow, which was annoying, but I think that can be turned off.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do have the display device which I wear as a wristwatch, so even when I don't plug it in I get some feedback on the important things. I chose the non-linked version because I have nothing wireless to link it to.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Love my BodyMedia Link band and the info it provides! Here's a referral link that saves you 15%: http://bodymedia.extole.com/m/1270648960
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have one and absolutely :heart: it. A couple things:
    1. I have the non-bluetooth one because I am still using a non-smart, dinophone. I do have the monitor that I can wear as a watch band and use it when I'll be gone on an all day activity, like yesterday's spring skiing. (to put the "dinophone" comment in perspective, I don't own a microwave either. lol)
    2. I have the world's strangest allergies and extremely sensitive skin. (Many times I'll get exposed to some unknown substance and my partner on the ambulance will have to give me benadryl injections because I get blotchy, itchy and wheezy.) I have only had a "rash" at the connector/conductor sites just once and it was my own fault for not wiping it off properly after a particularly sweaty work out. I have never had another problem after learning this lesson. And FYI: it was not so much a rash as it was a breakout from dirt and oils on my own skin.
    3. It is the BEST tool I have in my arsenal in this battle I am waging against fat and sloth!
    4. Some claim it is bulky and easily seen. Small price, in my opinion, and when people ask about it? I TELL THEM!!!! I tell them that it helps me track my daily activities so that I am accountable to myself and that in this way I have lost over 70 pounds in 7 months!!! Then they smile and usually say something like, "Well then, I need one of those!"
    Good luck to you!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    4. Some claim it is bulky and easily seen.

I wear mine on my calf if necessary. It's just as accurate.
  • John31TL
    John31TL Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I have since found out that they don't ship to the UK, annoying to say the least lol. Gonna opt for a Polar FT4 Men's Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch, supposed to be good as well.
  • angiemotto
    angiemotto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Bodymedia it's been exactly a month. And it's one of best choices I've made. My weight gets stuck around 145 every time I get this low. I couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong. So I bought the Bodymedia Link and a food scale. I was underestimating my total calories everyday. I was thinking my total calories burned was around 2000 a day but it was around 2600 or more on busier days. I adjusted my calories to that with a 1000 deficit and I've been losing again.

I also had the Fibit Flex last year but ended up returning it. It was nice to have but I didn't know to trust it or not. I do a lot of Zumba and lift weights so I was unsure it was counting me efficiently. I'm still not sure, I just decided on the Bodymedia this time because it measures your body temp and sweat. And it claims to be 90% efficient. And I'm that serious about losing this last but of weight.

The downside is the monthly subscription, I'm not too happy about having to pay to see something that was already expensive to purchase in the first place. And a couple times this month they have had some technical issues. I couldn't upload my data from my iPhone to my computer. But that was worked out in the same day.