Looking to Purchase a Bike

Options
My fiance and I recently began to take a better look at our health and make some life changes. I now plan all of our meals and weigh all of our foods. We both purchased fitbits and began walking every evening. The next tool we are looking at added to our new healthy living is each purchasing bikes. I suggested we each begin with a bike from a big box store to see if it is something we are going to actually use before going to a bike store and investing a lot of money in a good bike. I lost. We are going this week to look at some bikes. I am thinking about going with a hybrid bike, but don't really know. At this point I believe we will stick to riding the paved bike trails near our house, but typical road bikes scare me a little with how small they are in general and I don't know if I can ride comfortably at that incline.
Any suggestions on good introductory hybrid bikes?

Replies

• dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump because I'm in the market too!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Depends what models / brands your local bike store carries. I deal with one called Bike Line and they carry mostly Trek bikes. regardless of brand, based on the type of riding you plan to do, hybrid is a good starting bike. You can do paved trails and road riding w/out issue. If you start to do more road riding and want to get faster etc., then a road bike will be a good upgrade. But, if you are just looking to do it for fitness, not worried about speed and want most comfort, can't beat a hybrid. You may also want to invest in a seat pad when you buy your bike and get a pair of biking pants with the pad in it - maximum comfort, no chafing
    Good luck
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you lost on the big box bike. They are heavy, junky, poorly made, and only good for use as a boat anchor. Go to your local bike shop and tell them your needs and price range. Test ride quite a few and see how they feel. Don't be afraid of a road bike. They may not look it, but they are very comfortable. I started on a Trek hybrid and I've since moved on to a road bike (and quite a few others).

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for in a bike. You don't need a super light carbon racer, but you will enjoy riding much more if you have a decent bike.

ETA: Fit is one of the most important things to consider when you buy a bike. Your local shop will make sure you are on the correct frame size. This is the only drawback to buying a used bike.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    bumping. I've been looking for like a year now, I think I've decided I want a 29" wheel front suspension mountain bike, either the Trek X-Caliber 4 or Cannondale Trail 29er 5
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Do you have any thrift stores in the area? I bought my granddaughter a Schwinn bicycle at St. Vincent de Paul last week, and it looks nearly brand new. It had obviously been in storage for a long time because there was gunk in the gear wheels and chain, but it also obviously hadn't been used. After a good cleaning and lubing, it is perfect, and for only $60.00 (P.S. It is not a child's bicycle; it has 15 gears.)
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stay away from big box store bikes if you will be biking any distance they have a tendency to break, have bad bearings and ride like crap.
    Giant, Specialized, and Trek all make bikes that are around $300-$400. Maybe before buying a bike you could rent one and see how you like it or not instead of spending the money on a box store bike. Go to a local bike shop in your area they will be able to get you on a few bikes and find one that fits you best.
  • skippieone
    skippieone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is what I just bought.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/tricross/tricross

I told the pro at the local shop that I wanted to be able to mostly do road rides, some possibly lengthy, but that I also wanted to be able to take it on our local "rails to trails".
    I also told him I didn't want to have to sell my first born to afford it, since I haven't ridden in nearly 25 years I wasn't sure if I was going to like it enough to stick with it.
    I like drop handlebars and because I wanted more options for my hands, this is the bike I went with.
    It was comfortable from the get-go.
    I've had clipless pedals installed and I have a pannier frame I'm putting on it this coming weekend.

I haven't put too many road miles on (it's still freakin' snowing here), but we did get out for a bit last weekend and I've put lots of time in the saddle on the trainer. Just my 2 cents (for what it's worth).

Also, due to the time of year...I was able to get a better deal by purchasing the 2013 model...looks pretty much the same only a shiny black (not the matte of this one) with gold.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I bought a Gary Fisher Zebrano hybrid bike about 9 years ago. It is still going strong after a few thousand miles. It only cost about $450 at the time, and I see the new one online is around $550. I mainly bike on roads, but there have been times I've had to go on dirt or crushed gravel for a bit, and if you do any of that, you can't have a road bike. Skinny tires don't do well on anything besides pavement.

As far as going on roads, it's slower than a road bike, but much much better than a walmart special. Now that I'm getting more into biking and running, I'm looking to get a road bike for long road rides, but those will cost you a grand or more.

Also, I bought my Zebrano at a local bike store. Even though I paid a bit more, they give FREE tuneups and labor on all repairs. They probably do it because people don't take advantage of it, but I've brought my bike in twice a year for free service, and each time I've needed repairs, I have only paid for the parts, and nothing for the labor.

If you're looking to spend more, you can, but if you are starting out, go for something in the $500-$600 range. You can always upgrade in a few years.

As far as going to a big box store - DON'T! If you ride one of those bikes for 20 minutes, and then ride mine for 20 minutes, you will see a HUGE difference. A decent bike is so so so much easier to pedal. You will literally laugh at the huge difference when you try to go up a hill on a walmart special vs. my bike.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    If you're new to riding, I would suggest a used bike first. Many people buy a bike and ride it for a few weeks or months, and then it just sits in the garage. Try thrift stores, Craig's list, want ads and maybe a few garage sales. Often you can find somebody that is upgrading, and selling a pretty good bike for a bargain. Once you've been at it a while, and proved to yourself that you will continue riding, that would be a good time to invest in a really good new one.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I upgraded from a hybrid to a cyclocross after doing 8000 miles on the hybrid in my first year commuting to work.

This is the bike:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/croix-de-fer-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec052633

It's a great bike and has a beautiful light weight steel frame and disc brakes.

If you are going to buy a hybrid, unless you will be doing harsh off road, don't bother with suspension, rear or front, it just absorbs energy and makes the bike heavy.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I was where you are, I got a Diamondback Maravista hybrid bike from D!(&'s Sporting Goods and was perfectly satisfied with it for about 4 years. I'm just now upgrading to my first road bike. I couldn't have imagined EVER wanting a road bike when I bought that hybrid but I found I love riding and now want to go FAST. I'll keep the hybrid because my husband doesn't have any interest in moving up to a road bike, so we are better matched when both on hybrids.

None of which is a recommendation on a specific hybrid bike to buy at a bike shop... What I would do is think more about how you want to ride - how often? how many miles? Do you have any goals beyond improving fitness? can you see yourself wanting to do more in the future? what's your price range? and lay that out for the salesperson at the bike shop. They should then be able to offer you suggestions. Definitely use them to make sure the bike fits you - if you're not comfortable, you won't ride it. The saddle is also really important - don't go for the big, wide, cushy seat. That one will rub you in sensitive places and you won't want to ride...

I found bike shops REALLY intimidating at first. Your bike shop wants you to have the right bike and enjoy riding because, chances are, when you're in the market for your next bike, you'll go back to them. You'll also take your bikes to them for tune-ups and shop work. So, when you walk in the door, if they don't make you feel welcome and listen to and talk to BOTH of you, go find another bike shop. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If they act like your questions are dumb, find another bike shop. Those places are more interested in the sale than in the long-term relationship. You don't need to work with them.

Don't make your decision based on what is comfortable for your fiance, he's not riding your bike. Your bikes don't need to match. If, in his enthusiasm, your fiance takes over the conversation and you can't get your questions in edgewise, go sometime on your own when you can get the salesperson's undivided attention. When you narrow it down, see if they'll let you ride the bikes for more than just a few minutes so you can see which will be most comfortable for you.

Take your time and make sure you're mentally and physically comfortable with the bike and you'll make the right choice. Have fun with it!
  • obeaner2
    obeaner2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! I also suggested we maybe start out by purchasing used as I don't want to spend $400-$500 on something that in a few months will become garage art, but I lost there as well. One of my fiances friends works full time at a local bike shop and lives bikes, so we are going to see him. I know he won't take advantage of us, but spending $1000 on bikes right before our wedding is a bit scary. The other half just keeps telling me if we end up not using the bikes past this summer we will just sell them.
    Well I just got the call that we are heading to the bike shop this evening. I'm getting nervous like I'm going out on a blind date. Thank you for all of the advice and support going into this!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your concerns are about more than the bikes. I gotta tell you, I've learned after 21 years of marriage that we both have to be comfortable with a largish financial decision (more than $200-300) or it's not the right decision, no matter what the decision is. Dave Ramsey, a radio talk show host that deals with getting out of debt, would say that your vote doesn't appear to count in this decision and that's a problem... Getting more information from your fiance's friend at the bike shop should clarify for you if you're comfortable with this financial decision. If you're not, I'd suggest further discussion before spending the cash... Best of luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hybrids are great starter bikes, and they are versatile. That would be the perfect choice for someone looking to do bike trails or for someone just getting into, or back into, cycling.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just bought an Avanti Aria hybrid, she rides like a dream! Lightweight of a road bike, flat bars of mountain (I really don't like drop handlebars!) I cycle my commute every day and go on longer rides at weekends. You can't go proper off-road on a hybrid but they handle non-tarmacked trails just fine. If your plan is distance a smoothish trails I'd recommend the hybrid. Mountain bikes are heavy and too much drag to enjoy a long weekend bike ride.
    I started riding 2 years ago and it's now my absolute favourite exercise. Enjoy!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I suggested we each begin with a bike from a big box store to see if it is something we are going to actually use before going to a bike store and investing a lot of money in a good bike. I lost.

Good, they tend to be steel, so heavy and soft handlers with low end components. The main thing with longevity of a bike is to get the best frame you can, then you can upgrade the components through life.
    I am thinking about going with a hybrid bike, but don't really know. At this point I believe we will stick to riding the paved bike trails near our house, but typical road bikes scare me a little with how small they are in general and I don't know if I can ride comfortably at that incline.

A hybrid is by definition a compromise, but quite a safe introduction and quite adaptable. I really enjoy my road bike, love the speed, handling and general entertainment value. I equally enjoy my mountain bike, getting out and muddy and throwing myself down forest tracks. Both of those are Specialized.

The downsides are, as you identify a road bike can be a bit uncomfortable if you're not used to riding, and they're not very forgiving. Equally a Mountain Bike can be very hard work, they're slower and carry a lot of rolling resistance.

Things to look at are the frame, avoid steel, aluminium or composite tend to be stiff and lighter, albeit a bit more expensive. Wheels, avoid too much weight in the rims as that's the biggest source of weight when you're riding. Components can be upgraded over time, so far less significant.

I'd recommend that you look at clipless pedals, they make a huge difference to the ride, although they take a little getting used to. Most people take a couple of spills getting used to them.

I'd also leave some money aside for a helmet. Most accidents take place at slow speeds. It's less useful at high speed, but you won't be getting there for a while.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! I also suggested we maybe start out by purchasing used as I don't want to spend $400-$500 on something that in a few months will become garage art, but I lost there as well. One of my fiances friends works full time at a local bike shop and lives bikes, so we are going to see him. I know he won't take advantage of us, but spending $1000 on bikes right before our wedding is a bit scary. The other half just keeps telling me if we end up not using the bikes past this summer we will just sell them.
    Well I just got the call that we are heading to the bike shop this evening. I'm getting nervous like I'm going out on a blind date. Thank you for all of the advice and support going into this!

The used bike route worked well for me when I bought one from my local bike shop. I picked up a shop maintained, couple year old road bike for about 1/3 of the current year's model .... fitting, invites to group rides, schedule of their indoor training sessions, and a discount on my first accessories included.
  • rbrace6
    rbrace6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cannondale Quick 5 / just purchased one and a great bike and not priced off the charts.
  • obeaner2
    obeaner2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the input! I ended up with a Raleigh Misceo. The gentleman at the bike shop asked what we each were looking for in a bike and brought out a few for each of us to test. The Misceo was the one I felt most comfortable on. Well, I guess as comfortable as one can be on the tiny bike seats. Let's just hope it doesn't take too long for my hiney to get used to this.

Kimbie500 - We spoke a few times about getting bikes and agreed that if we were going to get them it would cost a good bit of money. I had to put aside the notion of just purchasing cheap bikes and actually investing in something. I hate spending money in general, even on something needed. I am just plain out cheap at times. However, on the way to the bike shop he said this was going to be his wedding gift to me and I can't argue with a gift!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's worth investing a bit in a bike and getting the input from a good bike shop. Just bought myself a new mountain bike with 29'' wheels last Friday, a Trek Superfly something or other....

I know nothing about bikes, except how to ride them :laugh: But I do enjoy riding on unpaved paths over fields and through forests, and I always ride close to my limit. So I think I'll have fun on this one! And with the 29'' wheels it's still good on paved roads, for when I ride it to work in the warmer half year.

Looking Forward to picking up my new wheels on Thursday!