Mean comments

Options
I just kind of want to get this off my chest, and put it out there for new folks. MFP is basically a really great place to get support. There are a few people, however, that feel like it is necessary to be insulting. For the most part it just rolls off my back, but I have supporting people in my life. I feel bad for the folks who this is there only place to get support and they get ugly hateful comments. So for you new people … if someone is ugly don't engage them … if you make friends with someone who puts you down ditch them. There are those who feel being nice is "enabling" and being mean "is being supportive."

Replies

• splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Gee I wonder what made you decide to post this: ) Hugs...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Link?

popcorn-go.gif
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I also have had people be rude with comments here, but you know what, it's life. I think rudeness is a sign of poor social skills. We are all here to learn, but some people make comments I don't think they realize how it comes across. Just go on and don't engage. Life is life and move on.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I must be the rogue data point in here. I've been logging since June 23, 2013 and I haven't received a single mean comment.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    135.gif
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't received any (I hardly post), but I've sure read a lot. Mostly with new people who are told to suck it up and stop making excuses. Do you know how hard it is to make that first post? I do believe in tough love, but sometimes it's unnecessarily harsh.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    135.gif

LMAO!!!!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Gotta grow a tough skin to post on message boards :flowerforyou:

It's far too easy to say something nasty to someone when you're not right in front of them. Just keep in mind that everyone has their struggles they face every day, you're not the only one in a bad mood, upset, feeling lonely, or feeling bad.
  • mbennett024
    mbennett024 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    People are just so down about themselves that they have to be hurtful to people, I guess. And it doesn't help that childish people think it's funny to read arguments on forums and post ridiculous "gifs" which egg on the bullies because people approve of their rudeness, which is what they were aiming for, to be "cool". Obviously none of these people have fulfilling lives or they would be nice instead of rude and ugly. It's not so fun to be on the other side, getting made fun of even if it is "only the internet". Just sayin...
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just kind of want to get this off my chest, and put it out there for new folks. MFP is basically a really great place to get support. There are a few people, however, that feel like it is necessary to be insulting. For the most part it just rolls off my back, but I have supporting people in my life. I feel bad for the folks who this is there only place to get support and they get ugly hateful comments. So for you new people … if someone is ugly don't engage them … if you make friends with someone who puts you down ditch them. There are those who feel being nice is "enabling" and being mean "is being supportive."

This is the reason I never post on these boards and just google my own info. I don't need the lack of support from those who think they know everything about fitness. I'll figure it out on my own. :happy:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Boy, people sure like popcorn...
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had some snarky comments on my first post, I also made some great friends though. You have to sift the chaff to get to the wheat :)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I must be the rogue data point in here. I've been logging since June 23, 2013 and I haven't received a single mean comment.

I have been on here off and on since 2011. Not a single mean comment.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    135.gif

Gus for the win.
  • darlenegodfrey1
    Options
    and you look great I must say!:wink:
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've only received one nasty comment but it was a doozy. In one of my very first posts I related that in my personal experience I was losing weight better at 1500 cals/day than at 1200. No advice offered, just what was happening with me. I got yelled at! I've never seen so many capital letters in a single post. I got told that I was the reason people on MFP couldn't lose weight. I wanted to reply but refrained. Over the next few months I saw a lot of her posts, many rude, some down right hostile. I almost felt sorry for her but am so glad that she seems to have disappeared.

Most posts are respectful, even when they may be tough love. Let the harsh ones go and move on to the next. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you think this place is bad, may I recommend staying away from forms that specialize in:

Video Games
    Sports
    Politics
    Parenting
    Religion

....to name a few.

Seriously, MFP is one of the tamest forums I've ever seen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have never received any "mean" comments. Early on I most certainly had some BS that I was spouting corrected and that was often done with a general bluntness...but a lot of those people who were giving me blunt truths and a huge reality check ended up being on my FR. I have only occasionally seen actual meanness here...usually it's not meanness, just blunt honesty and quite often a bit of sarcasm.

Really, I think people just need to have more of a sense of humor...I really didn't realize so many people were this overly sensitive until I joined here...I personally think it's kind of sad and wonder how people go through life not being able to laugh at themselves a bit or even take a step back and realize that maybe what they thought to be true isn't true and someone pointing that out isn't necessarily being mean.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If you run into a jerk on here, okay. Maybe you ran into a jerk.

If everyone you run into on here is a jerk, you might want to consider the fact that the common factor in the encounters is you.
This discussion has been closed.