Random question

Options
13»

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a crack *kitten*, but ended up an accountant.

Funny I wanted to be an accountant & ended up as a crack *kitten*... How ironic is that!!

*sigh* You win :sad:
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I wanted to do art.

And I went to school for graphic design.

But then I realized that I don't get to really decide what a project really looks like and that people out in the world want ugly things to be made for them. Also, that they change their minds about a million times and ask for crazy revisions at the last minute.

So now I bartend. The money is pretty good, and I genuinely like getting to know people/talking to people. Working in a restaurant is fun, because all your coworkers are bat-**** crazy. I've been working in restaurants for about 9 - 10 years now. Don't know what the plan is when I got too old and ugly to bartend. Maybe i'll manage? The boyfriend is a chef, and we joke about having our own place, but the money isn't there.

Hey, atleast I could design our logo, menu and advertisements!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a DRP Scheduler / Planner and schedule production in a Foundry.

SCORE!! That's what I'm doing.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    right now yes, I teach. But I'm getting my ms in counseling to be a school psychologist, so a little bit different. I didn't get into teaching right away though, I was in the business world the past 5 years.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    When I was little, I wanted to be a pro snowboarder and a tornado chaser. Still do but I snowboard for fun now and storm chase when I can. It's expensive!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I wanted to work in the legal field and be a writer. Right now, I work in a court as a clerk, so I have that going for me. I'd still love to be a writer. I have all these ideas, but when I try to make them come to life on the page, I get stuck. Maybe someday. :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I was little, I wanted to be a vet. When I was a bit older, I thought about becoming a social worker or psychologist.

Then I came to terms with how it would really go...
    #1) I am way too much of a softy and would be crying/depressed all the time.
    #2) I'd want to bring either animals or people home with me so I could take care of them.
    And yes, I know eventually you learn to separate, etc but I just couldn't even imagine getting to that point. I mean seriously, I cry at commercials people - how the hell would I be able to deal with some of the rough parts of either career?

So I turned to numbers instead and still take care of people (and sometimes animals) in my spare time. :)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a SAHM - but being a single parent for 6 years made that an illogical choice.

Then I wanted to be a business exec - like C level - or a lawyer. Until I realized that the work I would have to put into that would leave me with little free time to do other things and I'd be miserable. I have an all or nothing mentality so I would totally get absorbed in that level of work and I'd be ruthless.

I'm glad it didn't work out. I decided a few years ago I really awnted to be a Dietitian so I'm in school for that while working in sales. I am passionate about Dietetics. It took me a while to figure it out but I'll get there!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I wanted to make sandwiches at Subway but anyway I sliced it I couldn't cut the mustard.

Then I tried working as a tailor but it was a sew sew job.

Then I tried working at a gym but I was not fit for the job.

Then I tried Starbucks but it was the same old grind.

I studied to become a doctor but I didn't have the patients.

I worked as a lumberjack but I couldn't hack it so they gave me the axe.

I tried a muffler factory but the work was too exhausting.

My last job was at an orange juice factory but I was canned because I couldn't concentrate.

Im not sure what to try next......
  • lpable15
    lpable15 Posts: 2
    Options
    My last job was at an orange juice factory but I was canned because I couldn't concentrate.

Im not sure what to try next......

Try being a baker... you'll be rolling in the dough!
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a migrant worker. I lived in Florida and apparently it looked fun.

I am not currently a migrant worker.
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    i wanted to be a nurse but my mum told me i didn't - so after a rubbish few years working in offices - i trained as a nurse and now work as a scrub nurse - its an amazing job
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Growing up I wanted to be a lawyer and advocate for children. I ended up a stock trader cause I needed money faster.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Apparently I wanted to be a mafia guy / old school gangster and ran around the neighbourhood with a toy tommy gun putting on a very odd accent, it's probably where my love of hat's came from, lol.

Good job that didn't work out really
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    yep. i wanted to figure out WTF was *wrong* with people. I work Intake for a Psychiatric ward. I know WTF is *wrong* with people now.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be wonder woman ... miss world.. a model.. a fashion designer.. an architect .. an artist

i did a bit of modelling while i was at college studying art , changed courses to business management, met my hubby after college , had 4 babies within 5 years, decided to not return to work my first baby and became a full time carer after my 3rd child endured brain damage during birth and was severely disabled and when they were all in school i started my own business and now i do not need to work but i started a charity and sketch for fun.

Your life sometimes takes a path, no matter what you choose, you can't always control it :smile:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I never had a clear idea of what I wanted to do until university, when I really, really wanted to become a librarian. But I decided that it wasn't worth getting a master's degree for a job that ultimately doesn't pay well.

Instead I finished my undergrad and got a job as an exec assistant, which I enjoy and has a lot more opportunity, both just in availability of jobs and in eventual salary. I feel like I made a good choice every morning, and that's what really matters.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a gas pumper as a kid.

I currently work at a restaurant/substitute and am in college to become a teacher.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    i wanted to be a kingpin

im currently a kingpin
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I wanted to be a pediatrician for awhile, then moved on to thinking I should be a fashion designer.

I ended up being a marine biologist, which tends to be high on the list of "childhood dream jobs" - but it wasn't on mine. :happy: I do love it, though!