Jillian Michaels cleanse

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not talking about a chemical dependency detox. I don't really know if some people are trying to be helpful or trying to tell me I'm dumb?? I have a lot of trouble with my digestive system and regulation. I have been trying to drink more fluids but this has not been helping. I do not need your "You are a nursing student" comments.

If you are having these issues you should be going to the doctor and coming up with a plan in consultation with them and a nutritionist not listening to Jillian Michael infomercials for a quick fix.

That said how do you know you are having issues with digestion?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you want your digestive system to work more efficiently, make sure you are eating plenty of fiber, drinking lots of water, and eating enough fat. Many people gloss over the fat, and low fat diets have been the norms for years. However, it is essential for absorption of certain vitamins and for your digestive system to work well.

If that doesn't clear things up, you could try adding yogurt, kefir, or probiotic to your diet. You still won't need a cleanse.

+10, a cleanse isn't going to help your digestive system regulate. I mean, it'll probably clear your poopchute right out in record time but it's not going to solve a thing and you'll end up back in the same state you're already in. If you want to actually FIX it, adequate dietary fat along with probiotics and/or yogurt, kefir, etc are the best, cheapest starting point.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels cleanse is extremely effective at clearing out waste, it made me realize how much extra money I had in my bank account. What a waste that was, when I could just throw it at a miracle product...

In all seriousness, I have done similar detoxes before and honestly, THEY DO NOT WORK!!! You lose weight from the extreme caloric deficit you are in, quite a bit will come from muscle so when you get down to your goal weight you will be noticeable weaker (no joke, I lost over 100 pounds off my bench press even though I only lost 70 pounds of bodyweight). Your body does not need a "jump start", that is only necessary for people who lack motivation. You can do this, OP! Eat quality food, log your calories accurately by weighing your food, eat enough protein to retain or build muscle mass and do some resistance training! Jillian Michaels is a great person, but coming from someone that had success while doing a detox program, it wasn't due to the program. I drank more water, starting eating vegetables again (hadn't thought about eating veggies in years) and ate thousands of calories less. As a result, I lost quite a bit of weight and felt better but it wasn't due to a "detox", just good old-fashioned diet and exercise.

Don't believe all that hype, do what has proven to be effective for decades: track calories (or macros, if so inclined) and exercise. Much more rewarding because you get ALL the credit, not some silly program that expects you to say it was all their doing and you couldn't do it without them.... that's silly!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Additionally, this, from this link: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/18/juice-cleanses-and-detox-diets-helpful-or-harmful/
    The health benefits of juice cleanses and detox diets have been touted in magazines and on talk shows for the past couple of years. It has grown to become a $5 billion industry, and there is no shortage of consumer reports on how great the cleanses make people feel.

Yet, there is no scientific evidence that these cleanses actually detoxify your system, and in some instances, they can even do more harm than good.

So why do people consume these diets if they haven’t been proven to be beneficial?

Cleanses purport benefits such as improvements with immune system function, fatigue and depression; weight loss; and an overall detoxification of your system. In reality, however, there is no scientific evidence in support that cleansing does any of these. In fact, such diets may not actually remove toxins from your body.

Your kidneys and liver are primarily responsible for detoxfying most of the toxins you consume. In other words, your body (including the colon) already cleanses and detoxes itself. The benefits people report are likely a result of eliminating fats, sugars and processed foods from their diets, nothing else.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers such cleanses as supplements, so they don’t regulate production or distribution. In other words, because cleanses don’t have to meet the rigorous requirements that other prescription medications do, these companies can make unsubstantiated claims.

Speak with your doctor before beginning any detox or cleanse. Certain cleanses may restrict or eliminate important nutrients, and by cleansing, you could potentially worsen your health situation.

While yes, you may lose some weight during your cleanse, it is primarily due to the drastic reduction in caloric intake and the loss of fluids and waste, and will be promptly reversed once you resume a normal diet. Too much of a weight loss, especially due to fluid loss alone, can be harmful.

Cleanses and detoxes can be considered fad diets, which we all know are not viable long-term solutions to weight loss and healthy eating. You are much better off focusing on a diet of fruits, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I personally think that you are being quite defensive and perhaps MFP isn't quite for you. Most people on MFP lose weight properly meaning eating less and/or exercising to create a deficit. The reason we do this is because it works.

You don't need to do a 'cleanse' - I have done several and trust me you lose weight then gain it back and your body is worse off.

Everyone here has given you great advice and you are going to be hard pressed to find anyone on here who approves of any kind of cleanse.
  • Cresencia7
    Options
    If you want your digestive system to work more efficiently, make sure you are eating plenty of fiber, drinking lots of water, and eating enough fat. Many people gloss over the fat, and low fat diets have been the norms for years. However, it is essential for absorption of certain vitamins and for your digestive system to work well.

If that doesn't clear things up, you could try adding yogurt, kefir, or probiotic to your diet. You still won't need a cleanse.

That is actually helpful advice. Thanks for being supportive.
  • Cresencia7
    Options
    I personally think that you are being quite defensive and perhaps MFP isn't quite for you. Most people on MFP lose weight properly meaning eating less and/or exercising to create a deficit. The reason we do this is because it works.

You don't need to do a 'cleanse' - I have done several and trust me you lose weight then gain it back and your body is worse off.

Everyone here has given you great advice and you are going to be hard pressed to find anyone on here who approves of any kind of cleanse.

I was not asking this specifically for losing weight. I'm focusing more on colon cleansing. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever done the Jillian Michaels 14 day detox cleanse? I really want to give my digestive system a clean start and get rid of toxins and waste. I am thinking of doing this cleanse or any other suggestions.

I haven't done the Jillian Michaels 14 day cleanse before but I did at one time do the Mexico tap-water 3-day cleanse. Got rid of all of my "toxins"

I did the Turkish variation. Lost my toxins and self respect...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I actually had some respect for JM til now after learning she has a "cleanse". Disappointing
  • Cresencia7
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels cleanse is extremely effective at clearing out waste, it made me realize how much extra money I had in my bank account. What a waste that was, when I could just throw it at a miracle product...

In all seriousness, I have done similar detoxes before and honestly, THEY DO NOT WORK!!! You lose weight from the extreme caloric deficit you are in, quite a bit will come from muscle so when you get down to your goal weight you will be noticeable weaker (no joke, I lost over 100 pounds off my bench press even though I only lost 70 pounds of bodyweight). Your body does not need a "jump start", that is only necessary for people who lack motivation. You can do this, OP! Eat quality food, log your calories accurately by weighing your food, eat enough protein to retain or build muscle mass and do some resistance training! Jillian Michaels is a great person, but coming from someone that had success while doing a detox program, it wasn't due to the program. I drank more water, starting eating vegetables again (hadn't thought about eating veggies in years) and ate thousands of calories less. As a result, I lost quite a bit of weight and felt better but it wasn't due to a "detox", just good old-fashioned diet and exercise.

Don't believe all that hype, do what has proven to be effective for decades: track calories (or macros, if so inclined) and exercise. Much more rewarding because you get ALL the credit, not some silly program that expects you to say it was all their doing and you couldn't do it without them.... that's silly!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am more so interested in regulating my digestive system than losing weight. I feel sick when I eat. And everything that goes in doesn't necessarily come out...so I was looking into colon cleansing but I have heard many negative views of doing a juice detox, and I do not think I could do that anyways. I have been increasing the amount of water I drink, but still feeling lousy. My next thought is a hydro colon cleanse.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am more so interested in regulating my digestive system than losing weight. I feel sick when I eat. And everything that goes in doesn't necessarily come out...so I was looking into colon cleansing but I have heard many negative views of doing a juice detox, and I do not think I could do that anyways. I have been increasing the amount of water I drink, but still feeling lousy. My next thought is a hydro colon cleanse.

Feeling lousy during the day is very unlikely to have anything to do with what is in your colon. I'm not sure how you got to the idea that your issue is a digestive issue nor how you got the idea than enema's were some sort of "fix" for digestive issues. Also not clear on how you know how much stuff is "supposed to be coming out of you". If you mean you are constipated all the time then go see a doctor about it. Your next thought should not be shooting water up your butt.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Then there is something else wrong with you, a cleanse isn't going to fix.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Yep. You need a gastroenterologist, not a colon cleanse.

I'm also still trying to figure out how allergies cause toxic waste accumulation in the body.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I read JM's book "Slim for Life" and in it she stated that the only REAL detox/cleanse is WATER. I'm surprised she has something different for sale following that statement. I agree with the water, wouldn't spend money on the other.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If Jillian Michaels promoting a cleanse doesn't make you question EVERYTHING ELSE SHE SAYS... well... there goes her credibility.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I read JM's book "Slim for Life" and in it she stated that the only REAL detox/cleanse is WATER. I'm surprised she has something different for sale following that statement.

because money.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I read JM's book "Slim for Life" and in it she stated that the only REAL detox/cleanse is WATER. I'm surprised she has something different for sale following that statement.

because money.

Also the answer for why she has a book ironically
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Yep. You need a gastroenterologist, not a colon cleanse.

I'm also still trying to figure out how allergies cause toxic waste accumulation in the body.

Because science
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

because money.

I heard the cost of living is quite high in Hollywood, CA. That might just be a myth though.