Martial Artists?

Options
curvymomo3
curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
Hello everyone :D Was just curious as to how many martial art practitioners are utilizing MFP. I myself have trained eight years in Wado Kai Karate and now have the privilege of training my three children :D I love what the martial arts have instilled in me, self discipline, confidence, awareness, etc.

So where my ninja and ninjettes at?! lol

Replies

• victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Helllooo!!!

I do Shotokan karate, done it for 4-5 years in total and I'm grading soon so trying to get my head round a new kata. I love it :heart: :love:
  • samxhsiang
    Options
    I use MFP ;)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Must be a real pleasure passing on your knowledge to your children. I do crane kung fu. When I finally have kids, they will learn it whether they like it or not. :laugh:
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I watch Kung Fu movies. Does that count?
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Started lau gar kung fu 20 years ago and kick boxing before that in my teens.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cuong nhu, BJJ, and wing chun. I got fat and didn't do it so much. Now I feel better than ever and right back in it.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a karate mom, surely that counts.
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    awesome!!! *bows respectfully* pleased to make your acquaintances :D LOL yeah my kids are learning whether they want to or not hahahaha! washing our gi's now and as soon as they are dry it is time to train! we are working on VERY simple basic techniques (stances, punches, blocks, and kicks) and maybe we will do a few combos :D I was Sempi when I was training as a brown belt so I have some experience training the lower ranks to brown level, but it has been a while and this is all new for me! :D
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    awesome!!! *bows respectfully* pleased to make your acquaintances :D LOL yeah my kids are learning whether they want to or not hahahaha! washing our gi's now and as soon as they are dry it is time to train! we are working on VERY simple basic techniques (stances, punches, blocks, and kicks) and maybe we will do a few combos :D I was Sempi when I was training as a brown belt so I have some experience training the lower ranks to brown level, but it has been a while and this is all new for me! :D

It's great you're handing it down to your children. Karate has done wonders for my boys in many ways (self esteem, motor skills, self-discipline). My oldest just earned his 6th kyu, blue belt (his dojo uses a 12 kyu belt system) Friday evening. My kids love it, but if they lost interest, I wouldn't force them to stay in.
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    aweee that is awesome!!!! congrats lil dude!!! :D:D:D
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i sent my kids to thai boxing clubs, they lost interest i wouldn't force them because they were hitting rebellious teens and i would rather their hearts were in it.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Perhaps reconsider the "Whether they like it or not approach."
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    yeah I can SO relate with the uh... getting fat LOL!!!! Its much more difficult doing martial arts when there is extra weight hanging around uuggghhhH!!! LOL In a week I lost two lbs ( just started a week ago training the kids). So I am on the right track! :D
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    lol naw they love it really :D we are having lots of fun together and growing stronger as a family.
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    I watch Kung Fu movies. Does that count?

lol YES! whats your favorite one? Lately I have been digging ole Bruce Lee flicks lol Enter the Dragon anyone?! :D
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    Helllooo!!!

I do Shotokan karate, done it for 4-5 years in total and I'm grading soon so trying to get my head round a new kata. I love it :heart: :love:
    [/quote

That is awesome!!! :D I learned a little Shotokan as well It is pretty similar to Wado actually!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I did when I was middle and high school. Got my oldest into it for a while too.
  • curvymomo3
    Options
    that's awesome what style?
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I started with Shalon Kempo when I was five years old.
    I stopped when I joined the Army.
    I still work out but, I am not attending classes any more. My instructor passed away and I kind of decided to pick up where he left off.
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options
    Boxing and bjj here. Really want to get into judo, but I cannot find a school.