Mean comments

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    How many more years are we going to have this same thread over and over again...................I have seen other forums ban people for starting these "meanies" threads
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    So should we just pat everybody on the back and say there, they're, their and go ahead eat 500 calories a day, etc. etc.???

Sorry not going to support people who do dumb things and will be blunt about it!!!
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have The Facts of Life song running through their head now? :happy:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I also have had people be rude with comments here, but you know what, it's life. I think rudeness is a sign of poor social skills. We are all here to learn, but some people make comments I don't think they realize how it comes across. Just go on and don't engage. Life is life and move on.

QFT ! the internet has .000000% manners and prides itself on uncouth behavior , and oftentimes the security of glass and keyboard allows meaness to flow like vile filling material in a poop pie ...

The internet is a place where people are more likely to say what they truly think. Its not that the internet is full of people with poor social skills its that the world is full of people who lack the backbone to say what they think to someones face.
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    s
    How many more years are we going to have this same thread over and over again...................I have seen other forums ban people for starting these "meanies" threads

Im about to open a can of worms here, but oh well. Just wondering why you are clicking on the thread if its annoying? You can ignore any thread you want, unless your eyes are pried open, clockwork orange style, and someone is forcing you to read every comment.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    s

Im about to open a can of worms here, but oh well. Just wondering why you are clicking on the thread if its annoying? You can ignore any thread you want, unless your eyes are pried open, clockwork orange style, and someone is forcing you to read every comment.
    YOUR SO MEAN THE WORLD NEEDS MORE SENSITIVE PEOPLE WE SERVE A PURPOSE
    tumblr_lttcrjiCyD1qht847.gif
  • Cresencia7
    Options
    I agree that people on here are mean! You basically can't win unless you already know what sets people off and agree with everything they think. So new people = screwed.

if someone has a question to ask, whether new or not, the first thing they should probably do is search the forums. its a great little feature that can help eliminate some of those feelings of being "bullied" by "meanies".

if some dope wants to try a cleanse, for example, they should search the forums for similar topics first. IF they did that, they would see that cleanses are a waste of money and that threads about them usually go poorly.
    if they dont bother to put any effort into finding info, then theyre on their own.

In my opinion, if someone is new they aren't going to think to research, theyre going to dive right in and ask a question. And I think they should be able to. What does it matter if someone asks a question that's been asked before, or asks about a cleanse???? We have the capacity to either answer the question kindly or move along. In my real life I choose to treat people with kindness whether I think they are an idiot or brilliant. And not everyone has thick skin. That's ok too. Telling people to get over it doesn't help, I'm sensitive and I always will be. The world needs sensitive people, they serve a purpose. People keep posting about mean people and it matters to them, they might need to vent, and if you're tired of hearing about it, dont open the thread.

Kudos

well we know why youre offering kudos.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1238611-jillian-michaels-cleanse

ETA: if you havent seen it yet, you will...OP asks a question thats been asked NUMEROUS times before, doesnt get the answer they want or the pat on back they expected, and THEY get defensive. if all you want to do is be supported for less than stellar ideas then post em on facebook. and if youre so sensitive that random internet strangers hurt your feelers with funny gifs, then do a search.

...because I agree obviously. Not everyone is looking for someone to agree with their post. Most people are just looking for advice. So be helpful or be quiet.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I haven't been on MFP all that long, about a week or so now, but from what I have seen of the forums the "rudeness" largely falls into the category of people telling a poster something that that poster doesn't want to hear.

If you solicit opinions from the public and then one member of the public gives you an opinion you don't like that isn't rudeness. Being rude would be coming up to someone who did NOT solicit your opinion and giving it to them anyways even if they don't want to hear it.

When you post a thread here asking a question you ask it of anyone who happens to wander by and read your post. You are soliciting opinions. If you are the type to be upset by the opinions of random strangers you probably shouldn't be soliciting them.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If you are unwilling to hear that you are wrong do not ask the internets opinion about if you are wrong about something.

Personally I think it is a lot more rude to ask for someones opinion and then chastise them for giving you an opinion you don't like that to tell someone your honest opinion when asked to do so.
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    s

YOUR SO MEAN THE WORLD NEEDS MORE SENSITIVE PEOPLE WE SERVE A PURPOSE
    tumblr_lttcrjiCyD1qht847.gif

at least you used the doctor to drive that dagger in. ;)
    God created me with a soft heart and I wont let the world harden me.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    hi guize.
    i have experienced the same thing here. i asked a question (without searching) about a cleanse while i'm on a sub-1,000cal/day diet while logging light dusting as a 600cal burn. the cleanse didnt seem to be having any positive results and i was tired all the time, but i read on a site that was authored by my sisters friends brothers ex-roommate that cleanses are good for the toxinz. also, i couldnt figure out why i had no energy...im eating PLENTY! some days i cant even get to the ,1000 calories.

anywho...i came to the forums and asked my questions.
    next thing you know i had people telling me that cleanses are a waste of money, and that my body cleans itself of toxinz wiff my organs. some nerve!
    THEN people had the AUDACITY to tell me that 1,000calories a day was not enough food!
    some jerk suggested i calculate my TDEE (or some crap i know nothing about) so i could sustain healthy weightloss via caloric deficit. he even offered to help me run my numbers but i bet he was a creep and just wanted to see me naked.

ONE person in my thread said they had started the same cleanse i was looking at the day prior, and that they felt GREAT! i expected so much more support on a web site that is meant to SUPPORT.

today i was going to ask about doing a water fast and eliminating all carbs, but i figured forget it...people are just jerks here anyway.

so i went to waterfast.com and they are VERY supportive of water fasts.

this site is full of bullies.

Only 600 calories for light dusting? You must be doing it wrong!
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't post often (mainly 'cause I can't be bothered to type), but I browse the boards A LOT. That said, it is seldom that I see any truly nasty comments, just plenty of overly sensitive posters or plenty of posters misunderstanding other posters' sense of humour and/or 'blunt' advice; and when I say 'blunt' I don't mean cruel, I mean that it is often scientifically sound, concise and sometimes not what the OP wants to hear. Seriously, this site is by far the tamest place I frequent online. I just don't understand how some people think this place is rough! It just isn't!:indifferent:
  • bybyadipocytes
    bybyadipocytes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just kind of want to get this off my chest, and put it out there for new folks. MFP is basically a really great place to get support. There are a few people, however, that feel like it is necessary to be insulting. For the most part it just rolls off my back, but I have supporting people in my life. I feel bad for the folks who this is there only place to get support and they get ugly hateful comments. So for you new people … if someone is ugly don't engage them … if you make friends with someone who puts you down ditch them. There are those who feel being nice is "enabling" and being mean "is being supportive."

This is the reason I never post on these boards and just google my own info. I don't need the lack of support from those who think they know everything about fitness. I'll figure it out on my own. :happy:

True! People act like they are dietitians on here!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just kind of want to get this off my chest, and put it out there for new folks. MFP is basically a really great place to get support. There are a few people, however, that feel like it is necessary to be insulting. For the most part it just rolls off my back, but I have supporting people in my life. I feel bad for the folks who this is there only place to get support and they get ugly hateful comments. So for you new people … if someone is ugly don't engage them … if you make friends with someone who puts you down ditch them. There are those who feel being nice is "enabling" and being mean "is being supportive."

This is the reason I never post on these boards and just google my own info. I don't need the lack of support from those who think they know everything about fitness. I'll figure it out on my own. :happy:

True! People act like they are dietitians on here!

The same could be said for those who put their fingers in their ears and shout "LALALALALALA" when they're told that the scheme they're buying into is a waste of money and potentially harmful to their health.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wish I could make a ridiculous topic so I could throw a tantrum when people (rightly) tell me that I'm being ridiculous.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    wxV0u3Hq9F4mYFEPKTyNXABHXPOs7xTm8KGcbhydBUfE-2AKKl5HuFg7EaFcckmgkLb6NP9onht1md5OWaw76ekapp0=w426-h240-n
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I wish I could make a ridiculous topic so I could throw a tantrum when people (rightly) tell me that I'm being ridiculous.

It's not too late to consider HCG. :flowerforyou:
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Link?

popcorn-go.gif

NICE!!!
  • MagdalenDreams
    Options
    Thank you so much for this. It's like some people are looking for things to tear apart and make you feel like your opinion is wrong. I'm here to lose weight and support others with similar goals.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this. It's like some people are looking for things to tear apart and make you feel like your opinion is wrong. I'm here to lose weight and support others with similar goals.

Except that sometimes these opinions are wrong. And a scam. And hazardous to health. And refuted by science. But okay.
This discussion has been closed.